Old  December 21st, 1999, 11:10am     #1
fishey
Junior Sweeper
Founding Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to sweepstaking (reformed bingo player) and I'm hooked already! But I found out very quickly that it stinks to be a resident of FL. I'm planning to write my congressman to find out why the sweepstakes laws in FL are so strict.

Anyway... hope I win something soon!

Great site!

Cheryl
  Old  December 21st, 1999, 11:27am     #2
khill
Senior Sweeper
Founding Member

Well, Mare, now's your chance to sound off!

------------------
Kay

Old  December 21st, 1999, 7:04pm     #3
Mare
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member
Senior Moderator
SuperGroovy

Dear Cheryl,
Welcome to the wonderful world of being "void in Florida!" Before you write your congressman, which is a great idea, there is a very interesting article on why things are the way they are in this state. Go to http://www.ask.com and type in "where can I find sweepstakes in Florida?" Hit "ask" and on the results page look under "web resources." The first match under About.com is "Florida Sweeps Law Unfunded - Contesting and Sweepstakes. Go to that page and read why Florida is always left out. (I couldn't just type the web address because it's a million characters long.)
You can thank Kay for being the one who originally found this article while she was looking for "Texas only" sweeps.
Good Luck!
Mare
PS-I posted the article in the next post, so you don't have to go through all that if you don't want to!

[This message has been edited by Mare (edited 12-21-1999).]
  Old  December 21st, 1999, 7:06pm     #4
Mare
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member
Senior Moderator
SuperGroovy

Cheryl,
I just cut and pasted the article for you. I don't know why I didn't just think of that first!

Dateline: 07/13/98

You've heard the buzz...Florida sweeps law has changed! Floridians can enter all those sweeps denied them!

Hold on there. Not quite.

The only thing that has changed, is that the Agency responsible for accepting the registrations the sponsors are required to file (Florida Department of State, Division of Licensing), is unfunded, and therefor, cannot perform its job. The law itself remains unchanged.

Linda Goldstein told me, "Some sweepstakes sponsors may have been voiding Florida because they did not wish to register or post a bond or could not do it on a timely basis. Those who voided Florida for this reason may now open their sweepstakes up to Florida residents. It should be noted however, that the provision of the law requiring a trust account to be established or a bond still remians, even though the bond or evidence of the trust account does not have to be filed."

If I were a sponsor, my legal department would tell me to void my sweeps in Florida to avoid any future problems. Actually, common sense tells me that.

If you want to be able to enter all the sweeps in Florida, you must contact your state representatives and demand that the law be changed - to remove the requirement for a trust account/bond and to allow abbreviated rules to be published with sweeps advertising. Right now the law demands that full rules be published in every print advertisement (section 849.094 of the Florida code).

Further Research: http://www.adlaw.com/NEW/newindex.html
FL State Attorney General
Find Your State Reps At: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/citizen/index.html

Old  December 21st, 1999, 8:47pm     #5
Brent
Webmaster

Hi Cheryl, and welcome to the forums! Your wins will come!

Nice article Mare, thanks for posting it.

Brent

Please help your fellow OLS members win! - Referral and Vote Requests ~ Premium Referral and Vote Requests
  Old  September 30th, 2002, 5:02pm     #6
lighteningstrike
Junior Sweeper

Thumbs up Thank You for this info
___ being a resident of Florida I have long been annoyed by the 'void in FL' xxxx! Now I have a better idea why so much is 'void in FL': Florida's wonderfully well organized government - (lazy b------s).
___Perhaps we should drag ourselves in from the pool and start a letter champaign. Simply remind "them" that we vote too and right now we don't like "them" very much !!!

___"I won't go home a loser - I won't go home a loser"
  Old  September 30th, 2002, 6:07pm     #7
Sue
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

My guess is that sweepers are pretty good at filling in voting forms.
  Old  September 30th, 2002, 7:12pm     #8
binski
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
Legal Dawg

Welcome Cheryl! Check out the local sweeps threads. There have been quite a few from Florida lately!
  Old  September 30th, 2002, 7:38pm     #9
Katie Scarlet
Senior Master Sweeper

Good investigating lighteningstrike!!! You brought this one up from the bowels of the site for a fresh airing! LOL

Katie
  Old  September 30th, 2002, 7:42pm     #10
lighteningstrike
Junior Sweeper

Talking IN FLORIDA !!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sue
My guess is that sweepers are pretty good at filling in voting forms.

___from what I've been reading NOBODY is good at voting in Florida

Old  September 30th, 2002, 7:53pm     #11
lighteningstrike
Junior Sweeper

What - me think ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Katie Scarlet
Good investigating lighteningstrike!!! You brought this one up from the bowels of the site for a fresh airing! LOL Katie
___ME ??? - what did I do? You must mean "Mare" and Kay don't you (not that I wouldn't love to steal the credit ).

Old  September 30th, 2002, 8:04pm     #12
Katie Scarlet
Senior Master Sweeper

Check the dates... LOL the last time this thread saw the light of day was in 1999 until you found it. You get my gold star for the day for "Intense Investigation" and for using the site so well with out a manual!

Katie
  Old  September 30th, 2002, 9:39pm     #13
tommy
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

welcome to the site cheryl i am also a flloridian and the laws su%% but for your info I did win a trip to chi-town several years ago

tommy
  Old  August 19th, 2004, 11:44pm     #14
Sallymander
Sweeper

I think a letter champagne sounds better than a campaign! But lets do BOTH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighteningstrike
___ being a resident of Florida I have long been annoyed by the 'void in FL' xxxx! Now I have a better idea why so much is 'void in FL': Florida's wonderfully well organized government - (lazy b------s).
___Perhaps we should drag ourselves in from the pool and start a letter champaign. Simply remind "them" that we vote too and right now we don't like "them" very much !!!

"By The Way, Happy New Year" Leslie Neilson to the 2nd in command on the SS Poseidon as they look in horror at the approaching wall of water on the radar screen. I always found that so funny! I knew Leslie Neilson had a career in comedy then!