Old  June 7th, 2011, 3:45pm     #1
phoebixflame
Junior Sweeper

Sweepstakes statistics?
Hello! I'm doing a project on sweepstakes and would love some help from a knowledgeable group.

Are there any recent statistics on how many people enter sweepstakes, what the monetary value of the winnings is?

I know there was a sweepstakes law passed in 1999, but is there currently an official board or association that regulates sweepstakes?

Any info would be so helpful! Thanks!
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 4:10pm     #2
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

I figure I make .04 per sweepstake hr.
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 4:13pm     #3
guruwan2b
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want to know if more people enter for the higher value prizes?
I don't know that there are any statistics available. There are so many new types of sweepstakes now (twitter, facebook and text to win), I don't know who would possibly be able to collect all that information from so many different judging agencies.

John F. Kennedy: If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 4:26pm     #4
phoebixflame
Junior Sweeper

I was referring to sweepstakes in general, like if there has ever been a statistic for how many people enter sweepstakes per year, or even enter smaller kinds (like phone-only or internet) sweepstakes. Or if the sweepstakes cafes or corporate companies have any kind of numbers.

I was also curious if sweepstakes currently have any kind of regulatory board or comission (like coupons do).

I'm sorry it's such a broad question. I'd be grateful for any kind of info you could provide.
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 4:32pm     #5
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

There are, I believe, sweepstakes laws and they may vary from state to state. Googling might help you with that.
This website is just one of numerous websites/blogs/newsletters out there that people use.
Some people enter on a whim, some people enter as a hobby, and are more dedicated to entering.
As far as statistics, I don't see how there would be any way to gather statistics from entries that are available ALL OVER the internet, as well as snailmail sweeps/entries.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 4:44pm     #6
Schmoolander
Master Sweeper

I doubt you'll find any sort of numbers that are statistically significant. I figure... how many people enter one sweepstakes once in a while just because there is an entry on a product or website, versus people who do it all the time like us, versus people who enter one daily (like the HDTV home giveaway) versus the people whose "sweepstake careers" consists of peeling instant win stickers off of fast food products?

then there are the "win" statistics... how often does the lucky person who entered something once win the prize versus the "sweepers" who enter all the time?

Total win count for 2014: 22
Previous Years - 2013 : 79, 2012 : 142, 2011 : 205
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 4:52pm     #7
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

About all that I know is that each state sets it's own sweepstakes laws. That is why you'll find certain states that are excluded from entering over and over. Their state laws are stricter and some sponsors just bypass them because they don't want to comply.

Each state's Attorney General's office regulates sweepstakes and I've heard that the FCC is assuming some responsibility for internet sweepstakes.

I don't have any sweeper stats for you.

Quote:
Sweepstakes-type promotions that require a purchase by participants are illegal in the United States. Other agencies, including the United States Postal Service (USPS) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), also enforce federal laws governing contests and prize promotions. And each state has laws that may require promoters to make disclosures, seek licensing, or post a bond. Since state laws vary, check with the Attorney General's Office in the state(s) in which you plan to advertise. If a contest or promotion involves telephone calls, the FTC's Telemarketing Sales Rule requires specific disclosures, such as the odds of winning a prize, how to participate without buying anything, and that no purchase or payment is required to win. If pay-per-call services are involved, the FTC's 900 Number Rule requires certain disclosures. For more information, ask the FTC for the publications Complying with the Telemarketing Sales Rule and Complying with the 900 Number Rule.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...small-business
  Old  June 7th, 2011, 5:11pm     #8
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

There have been some internet articles and a clip on ABC news lately with some numbers estimating how many people do sweepstakes. I don't have the links but maybe you can find them with a YAHOO search.
Occassionally someone posts that a sponsor said they received XX,XXX entries for a sweep with one winner, but I don't have any of those stats compiled.
I, as a sweeper, know very little about the statistics of sweeping. I just enter, hope to win, and do win.

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  June 8th, 2011, 12:20am     #9
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

I think we the sheknows contests, it gives you the odds of your entries

my wins

WAREHOUSE 13 "see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret."
  Old  June 8th, 2011, 1:09am     #10
LuckyPenny
Senior Master Sweeper

I wonder if you could ask some of the big sponsers?

VENGEANCE IS MINE
  Old  June 8th, 2011, 1:11am     #11
Fflur
Master Sweeper

I enter 5 sweeps a day all really huge sweeps. Its serious I have been at it for 10 days. Like I hope this helps for sure.

When life hands you a Jeffrey you have to rub a furry wall.