View Poll Results: Should Online-Sweepstakes.com (OLS) become Sweepstakers.com?
Yes. 183 20.87%
No. 490 55.87%
Who cares? 204 23.26%
Voters: 877. You may not vote on this poll

Old  November 9th, 2010, 2:08am     #46
flared0ne
Grand Master Sweeper

Cool Wow... This could be painful.
Sometimes change can be for the better... but I have to agree with the people asking "Any way we can at least keep the 'OLS' acronym??" I don't know the economics involved, but are you really committed to (stuck with) keeping the .com portion??

Would "OLS.net" be feasible?? Or any of the several other possible domain designations??

Or how about "online.sweepstakes.com"??

Is "OLSweepstakes.com" really not workable??

"onlinesweeps.com" might not be meaningful to most people (but it would work).

"sweepstakesonline" SAYS what we are, doesn't keep the acronym, but is really close.

What about "Sweeps'R'Us"?? Too prone to "litigious-interruptus", I expect.

The difficulty, of course, is that when most people start out, they've heard something generic about "online sweepstakes are worth trying" from some TV program or news release somewhere -- so they google "online sweepstakes". Which may not be a problem: if every page on your website SAYS "online sweepstakes", it doesn't exactly matter what the actual URL is, right?

But "Sweepstakers.com"... seems to shift the focus to the PEOPLE found here instead of the SWEEPS found here. I'd also be concerned about the name leaving itself open for sophomoric jokes, being easy to abuse; "sweeps takers" (like "yeah, they steal your sweeps") instead of "sweepstake'rs".

On a side-note, I HAVE to ask, in regards "The Upgrade"... Any idea yet whether YOU too are going to "shut out" people who have dug in their heels against upgrading browsers??

Talk about resisting change...
Old dogs DO get attached to their usual routines, don't they...
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 2:10am     #47
Curr4001
Master Sweeper

I have a sentimental attachment to OLS but as long as it will still point me to this site I don't mind the change.
I have OLS as my home page anyway, so I don't think I will ever lose track of where it is.
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 2:16am     #48
ginnylee38
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flared0ne View Post
Sometimes change can be for the better... but I have to agree with the people asking "Any way we can at least keep the 'OLS' acronym??" I don't know the economics involved, but are you really committed to (stuck with) keeping the .com portion??

Would "OLS.net" be feasible?? Or any of the several other possible domain designations??

Or how about "online.sweepstakes.com"??

Is "OLSweepstakes.com" really not workable??

"onlinesweeps.com" might not be meaningful to most people (but it would work).

"sweepstakesonline" SAYS what we are, doesn't keep the acronym, but is really close.

What about "Sweeps'R'Us"?? Too prone to "litigious-interruptus", I expect.

The difficulty, of course, is that when most people start out, they've heard something generic about "online sweepstakes are worth trying" from some TV program or news release somewhere -- so they google "online sweepstakes". Which may not be a problem: if every page on your website SAYS "online sweepstakes", it doesn't exactly matter what the actual URL is, right?

But "Sweepstakers.com"... seems to shift the focus to the PEOPLE found here instead of the SWEEPS found here. I'd also be concerned about the name leaving itself open for sophomoric jokes, being easy to abuse; "sweeps takers" (like "yeah, they steal your sweeps") instead of "sweepstake'rs".

On a side-note, I HAVE to ask, in regards "The Upgrade"... Any idea yet whether YOU too are going to "shut out" people who have dug in their heels against upgrading browsers??

Talk about resisting change...
Old dogs DO get attached to their usual routines, don't they...
I agree especially because my older then dirt computer can't take much more even after deleting, rebooting, and starting from scratch a few months ago.
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 3:06am     #49
lilygaze
Master Sweeper

Change can be a good thing so why not. I also admit I like OLS but more importantly, it's the peeps here that matter more than the title.

yummy!
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 4:04am     #50
pambanter
Grand Master Sweeper

Ugh, how do I vote? The dash was problematic for me and also when I refer people. I say go for the shorter, dash free name.
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 4:12am     #51
theladyluck
Master Sweeper

I can't see a problem either way. If the URL online-sweepstakes.com points to sweepstakers.com nobody should get lost. So whatever works best for you should be fine with all of us, IMHO.

I'm getting excited about the idea of the promised upgrade coming soon, hopefully before Christmas. Thanks for getting on it, Brent!

Nadine
--
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible. -- St. Thomas Aquinas
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 4:47am     #52
stah
Master Sweeper

I'll miss the OLS name bigtime, but understand the need for the change.
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 4:48am     #53
stah
Master Sweeper

I'll miss the OLS name bigtime, but understand the need for the change.
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 4:58am     #54
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

I am attached to OLS too. But whatever you decide is fine with me too. As long as everything stays the same (meaning the forums, the mysweeps, etc.) I have no problem with it. It will just get some getting used to.

I posted once about the huge UPROAR when you changed the green color of the website. LMAO. Now, people will really by flipping out!! LOVE IT.
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 5:13am     #55
sgibbs58
Senior Master Sweeper

Hmm...I have a couple of sites I visit for work and when you type in their OLD url or click on the old url in the favorites it automatically converts to the new url---if that makes sense...

like--

if I type or click on www.instantpotatos.com it does an auto change to www.homemadepotatos.com

....just a thought.....dont know how that works but that way it could still be online sweepstakes and just change to a different url when it comes up...

i know everyone probably knows how this works already but it was new to me!!
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 5:21am     #56
lenfest
Master Sweeper

I like the sites name but if its in the best interest go ahead and do it. I voted no but I will be happy no matter what
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 5:22am     #57
jolee62
Grand Master Sweeper

I too like the name OLS but if change is what everyone wants I will go along

Old  November 9th, 2010, 6:11am     #58
Gmaw
Master Sweeper

Okay Brent....I CAN do change, I still don't have to like it...LOL. I will beta test the tshirts and mugs. And maybe auction my valuable collectables, when they skyrocket in price.

Life is good. Love it, live it to the fullest!
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 6:11am     #59
Embee
Senior Master Sweeper

If you can grab OLS.com cool.
If not, as long as I can find my way back here, I'm good.

As for anyone I've ever referred here, they have taken one look, screamed and ran away anyway.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Embee/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
  Old  November 9th, 2010, 6:19am     #60
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embee View Post
If not, as long as I can find my way back here, I'm good.

As for anyone I've ever referred here, they have taken one look, screamed and ran away anyway.
They must have been reading the political forum.