Old  November 8th, 2010, 6:35pm     #1
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Unhappy Woman Dies After Marrow Donors Refuse To ShowWoman Dies After Marrow Donors Refuse To Show
I've been registered as a donor for many years but I've never been notified about a match. If I was able to donate, I'd do it. I couldn't live with myself if I was one of those four people who refused to help a dying young woman.

Quote:
Leukemia patient Penny Lindenberg and family were filled with hope after learning four bone marrow matches were found for the 37-year-old mother of two. That hope, however, quickly turned to stunned disbelief when those potential life-saving donors, for reasons unknown, chose not to come forward.

Last month Lindenberg lost her 15 month battle with the disease. Family members said they were numb with disbelief, wondering why the donor matches didn’t step forward. Officials of the Bone Marrow Center said the decision was theirs and theirs alone, and that they don’t have to give a reason.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/...efuse-to-show/
Here is an appeal that was posted for donors:
Quote:
Come Out to Register and You Can Save Penny or Others!
Date: Sun Dec 6, 2009 - Ridge, NY

Penny Lindenberg, a young mother of two was diagnosed on July 10th of this year with Acute Leukemia.

Penny, her husband Brian and their two girls aged 10 and 9, live in a close knit section of Ridge, New York. Until her diagnosis, Penny was the neighborhood mother who regularly helped other mothers by getting their children on or off the bus. Chemotherapy and subsequent hopsital stays have kept her from working her part-time job. She was also forced to give up her leadership of Girl Scout Troop 1109. She is trying to stay as involved as possible.

Penny is artistic. Her neighbors look forward to seeing how she decorates the tree in front of her house for each holiday. Candy canes, witches, goblins, American flags and Easter bunnies hang from the branches to mark the season. Now, her tree is filled with orange ribbons for Leukemia Awareness.

Penny needs a bone marrow transplant for survival. She is yet to find her match. YOU can be her or others' matches. Please come and register!

Sunday Dec. 6th 10AM-2:30PM
Ridge Fire Department
Fire House ONE
20 Francis Mooney Drive
Ridge, NY 11961

YOU CAN SAVE A LIFE!

http://www.dkmsamericas.org/drives/c...enny-or-others

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  November 8th, 2010, 6:48pm     #2
HistoryMystery
Grand Master Sweeper

The phrase "refuse to show," indicates that these donors were verbally told about the situation and responded with a definitive, "I am not participating," answer.

It doesn't say how they were notified, just that they didn't come forward. Is it possible to have missed communication somehow?

I guess I just find it bizarre that 4 out of 4 donor matches would have said, "Oh, yeah, no, I don't feel like it. Kthxbai."

I know it's entirely possible and that they don't have to give a reason, but it makes me wonder if something was flawed in the notification/communication system.
  Old  November 8th, 2010, 7:22pm     #3
samf36
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryMystery View Post
The phrase "refuse to show," indicates that these donors were verbally told about the situation and responded with a definitive, "I am not participating," answer.

It doesn't say how they were notified, just that they didn't come forward. Is it possible to have missed communication somehow?

I guess I just find it bizarre that 4 out of 4 donor matches would have said, "Oh, yeah, no, I don't feel like it. Kthxbai."

I know it's entirely possible and that they don't have to give a reason, but it makes me wonder if something was flawed in the notification/communication system.
Or something was going on in their life at that moment that prevented from doing so.
  Old  November 8th, 2010, 7:57pm     #4
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryMystery View Post

Bizarre but true.

Some, if not all, of the potential donors were identified through drives held to support Shannon Tavarez, a young Broadway actress who died last week (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...d.php?t=945842). There was a huge amount of publicity surrounding the search for donors for Shannon, and several celebrities, including Alicia Keys, Rhianna and 50 Cent, got involved in the effort.

Brian Lindenberg speculates that they felt "if they weren't going to be able to help the little girl, they might not want to get involved."

My guess (and yes, it is only a guess) is that for some of them, the attraction was the connection to the celebs, not the idea of saving any life possible. When they found out that they wouldn't be enjoying a brush with fame, and the intended recipient was "just an ordinary housewife", they backed out.

Quote:
Nationwide, 47 percent who are matched as bone marrow donors eventually decide not to donate. A few cite medical concerns, but 15 percent said they’re simply “not interested” in donating any longer.

Last edited by annulla; November 8th, 2010 at 11:07pm.

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  November 8th, 2010, 9:56pm     #5
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

I am on the donor's list and got notification this year that I was a possible match

believe me, if they call

I will be there

There is a lady in my church with Leukemia and I would do anything necessary to give her another chance at health.
  Old  November 8th, 2010, 9:58pm     #6
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Thumbs down
Sad.

Wonder how they would feel if it were them that needed the life saving treatment?

Nevermind ... we all know the answer.
  Old  November 11th, 2010, 1:32am     #7
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

Pretty sad.

On the bright side.. a year ago gay men in Canada can now be bone marrow donors.

MY BLOG: http://www.sirthriftalot.blogspot.com [updated: October 29th, 2012!]
  Old  November 12th, 2010, 1:52pm     #8
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingBeauty View Post
I am on the donor's list and got notification this year that I was a possible match

believe me, if they call

I will be there

There is a lady in my church with Leukemia and I would do anything necessary to give her another chance at health.
well, I just got the news that my friend from church died due to her leukemia...
  Old  November 12th, 2010, 2:23pm     #9
swankygirl
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingBeauty View Post
well, I just got the news that my friend from church died due to her leukemia...
Oh, SweepingBeauty, this is such sad news! :hugs:
  Old  November 12th, 2010, 2:38pm     #10
Faulkner99
Grand Master Sweeper

I've been on the donor list for years. I got on the list right after high school because a classmate who was diagnosed with leukemia had died. I did get called once about ten years ago and notified that I might be a potential match, but they were going to do additional testing to be sure. A week or so later I was told that I was not a match. Nothing for anyone else since then, but I'm glad to remain on the registry. I'm a healthy person and if ever I can help, I'll be there. The marrow donation procedure is painful but it's risk-free.

Microlend! www.kiva.org
  Old  November 12th, 2010, 6:00pm     #11
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

I've been on the list for about twenty years and I'll donate upon when there's a match. Just don't tell me too much about the surgery details, I'd rather not know, really.

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  November 12th, 2010, 7:55pm     #12
minbari
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackercrumb View Post
Pretty sad.

On the bright side.. a year ago gay men in Canada can now be bone marrow donors.
If only that were true in the United States. How much sadder it would be if this woman died because of my country's backward attitudes.
  Old  November 13th, 2010, 1:41pm     #13
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

I think this is another cost of the state of our economy.

We don't know if these matches were the wage earners of their family.

Personally, I'd do it regardless. But I can't judge someone who is frightened that taking time off would jeopardize their job, or that they can't afford the lost wages. If you're barely able to feed your family, have debt collectors at your doorstep, or are about to loose your home, I can imagine you are hoping that the next person they find will do it.

It takes around 40 hours over a 3 -4 week period just to go through the process. And that's before the procedure. There is a risk of some recovery time, as well as not feeling 100% for a week or two.

I'd gladly do it. But I certainly can understand others' fears.

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  November 14th, 2010, 11:44pm     #14
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

I wonder how many of them were afraid of the pain? I can't donate because long ago I got Hepatitis B from my dentist but if I could I would in a heartbeat. What's a little pain.

My Wins
  Old  November 15th, 2010, 12:52am     #15
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't know why they didn't so I can't sit and call them names or be mad. We don't know why. I'm on the list yet if they called me today thru end DEC I'd have to say no.

People have sicknesses, surgeries, perhaps out of the country etc

And yes perhaps there are the occasional selfish people who because they get nothing in return would say no..... I can't even imagine that.

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~