Old  September 13th, 2010, 5:48pm     #1
bhjustice
Master Sweeper

PCH Scam - Warning!
My 83 year old MIL just got a phone call from someone claiming to be with PCH, told her she had won a lot of money, and they would deliver her a big check between 10am and 2pm tomorrow. She was really excited when she told me.

I called the 800 number of PCH legal department, 1-800-645-9242. They said, of course, absolutely not PCH. Ugly people drive by and see older people working out in their yards, look up their phone number, call and set up the appointment, and do one of two things:
1. They deliver a worthless check, but require a handling fee of around $2000, or
2. They beat the crap out of the "winner" and then rob the house.

Sigh...

When I asked her if she had ever entered a PCH sweepstakes, she said no. That should be a clue, but when you're 83 years old, things are just not always as clear as they need to be.

Guess I'll go visit my MIL around 10am, and make sure nothing ugly happens.

We live in such a small, quiet little town. Didn't expect this.

Last edited by bhjustice; September 13th, 2010 at 5:49pm. Reason: spelling
  Old  September 13th, 2010, 6:47pm     #2
sassybrat
Master Sweeper

I would contact the police.
  Old  September 13th, 2010, 8:07pm     #3
chinchilla
Senior Master Sweeper
Senior Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybrat View Post
I would contact the police.
Yes, please don't take on potential criminals by yourself!
  Old  September 13th, 2010, 9:24pm     #4
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

I agree. Don't take them on yourself, let the police know ahead of time and they can be there waiting to find out what's going on, and possible save another older person in the future.
  Old  September 13th, 2010, 9:36pm     #5
bhjustice
Master Sweeper

Thanks everyone. I have reported it to the Sheriff's Office. My husband and I are planning on being at her house a little before 10 am, and the police have advised us to call 911 if any car pulls into the driveway with occupants unfamiliar to us. They have her name and address, and are prepared to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks again, I appreciate you!
  Old  September 14th, 2010, 6:15am     #6
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhjustice View Post
Thanks everyone. I have reported it to the Sheriff's Office. My husband and I are planning on being at her house a little before 10 am, and the police have advised us to call 911 if any car pulls into the driveway with occupants unfamiliar to us. They have her name and address, and are prepared to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks again, I appreciate you!

Wow, that's scary!
  Old  September 14th, 2010, 3:38pm     #7
yrguide
Senior Master Sweeper

Any update on this?

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. Not to be confused with Hundredth monkey effect.
  Old  September 14th, 2010, 4:30pm     #8
bhjustice
Master Sweeper

With her son's 4x4 pickup truck in the driveway, no car pulled up into the driveway today. However, someone just called with and excuse from 516-986-1531 and asked if they could speak to her and set up another appointment. Her son did not let her talk to them.

I think the truck in the driveway was a strong deterrent. I googled the phone number, and this is happening to a lot of people. The number appears to originate in Jamaica, so nothing can be done to prosecute them for calling.

The next thing I expect will happen is an unscheduled visit, please God, no. I'm hoping, instead, they send a letter and tell her she needs to send them a check for processing before the can release the "big check." At least I can take that to the post office and file a complaint.

It would be different if she was not 83 and showing the first signs of dementia. That makes things just a bit more difficult.

Thanks for asking, I appreciate you all.
  Old  September 14th, 2010, 9:47pm     #9
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

Should she get either an alarm or just some signs and stickers saying she has one? I have heard of older people being attacked in home invasions and badly injured. If she has dementia (even mild) it might not be safe for her to live alone any more. She might forget that she is not supposed to answer the door to strangers.

I hope your MIL stays safe.

Old  September 19th, 2010, 8:19am     #10
franaissance
Master Sweeper

They are calling a lot of people http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-516-986-1531
One of the posting has a contact number to report this to the FTC who deals with consumer fraud and this is under investigation.

Good call to notify the local police about the call before the first appt. I would have been so scared.

http://swagbucks.prodege.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=217169--Join and let's get swagbucks together.