Old  July 25th, 2010, 11:11am     #1
sassybrat
Master Sweeper

Harassing text messages
Can anything be done to stop unwanted text messages? These are not from a company but from someone I don't know. I tried ignoring them but they persisted so I replied saying I didn't now them and to stop contacting me. That just inspired them to try more so I tried calling them and they wont' answer and do not have voice mail. I asked my sister if she knew the number and she said no but she would try to call it. She said it sounded like a young kid and he hung up on her. Now he is sending her texts. These texts come at all hours of the day and night. Overnight I received 3 of them. One at 1:30am, 2:00am and 3am.

Will the phone company or police do anything about it?
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 11:16am     #2
rocko
Master Sweeper

Consider contacting your provider and have the number blocked.

Sorry this is happening to you.
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 11:48am     #3
lassss
Master Sweeper

If you have verizon, you can go on your account online and block people

PR Proud, My Wins
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 12:03pm     #4
sassybrat
Master Sweeper

I have AT&T. Their customer service center is closed on Sunday.
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 12:36pm     #5
melonhed
Grand Master Sweeper

I would call the police and see what they say, it may just fall under phone harassment for your state or city, depending on the laws.

DUI? Dealing Drugs? Better Call Saul!
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 12:49pm     #6
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

Post their number at www.who called.us also post it here and 10000 of us can do the same to them lol

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 12:52pm     #7
sassybrat
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysJewel View Post
Post their number at www.who called.us also post it here and 10000 of us can do the same to them lol
I would love to post the number here but am afraid if anyone called him or sent him a text, he might harass you to like he is my sister. I'm tempted......
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 1:15pm     #8
lassss
Master Sweeper

There are a few internet sites where you can put in a number and it will prank call it... pay backs are great...just do a search on the net

PR Proud, My Wins
  Old  July 25th, 2010, 7:26pm     #9
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybrat View Post
I have AT&T. Their customer service center is closed on Sunday.
Go to your AT&T log in page, long in and in the search area put in block number you might find a discussion or helpful tutorials on how to block a number.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Me...NG/m-p/1508353

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ng+text+number
several pages of info. from google search

from the att website

http://contact.bellsouth.com/acc/

Customer Support for Annoyance Call Problems

The AT&T Annoyance Call Bureau provides customer support in the investigation of repetitive/illegal harassing, threatening, or obscene telephone calls or text/email messages received on your AT&T landline or wireless phone.

The Annoyance Call Bureau does not investigate telemarketing, collection, or other types of electronically generated calls. These calls are not illegal and there are AT&T Landline, Wireless and Messaging products and services available to assist customers in managing these types of unwanted or annoying phone calls.

the text below is found under the messages tab

AT&T's Messaging Preferences Web Site
From AT&T's Messaging Preferences web site you can apply email delivery controls, create personalized block and allow lists, and create an alias to replace MSISDN. Preference options include:

1. Alias - You can create one alias (alias@txt.att.net) to go along with your 10-digitmobile#@txt.att.net email address. The alias chosen will also apply to your mms.att.net email address.

2. Anti-Spam - Spam is unsolicited email or messages. Spam affects mainly landline networks but with increased awareness and the use of PC-to-Mobile messaging, SPAM has increased within the wireless community.

3. Block/Allow Lists - You can set up and manage a list of e-mail addresses or domains from which you would like to Block or Allow messages to be delivered to their handsets. If a domain like aol.com or Comcast.net is added to the block list, then all emails from that domain will be blocked and not delivered.

4. Block from the Handset - If you receive SPAM from e-mail to your handset, you can reply with the word "block" and that address will be added to the customer's block list. Note: Block functionality does not work for Mobile to Mobile Text Messaging.

5. Block All Text Messages sent as E-mail - If you do not want to receive ANY Text Messages sent from e-mail, you can select this option, and all e-mails sent to your alias@txt.att.net or 10-digitmobile#@txt.att.net e-mail addresses will be blocked except those on your Allow List.

6. Block ALL MMS messages sent to you as E-Mail - If you do not want to receive Multimedia Messages (MMS) sent from E-mail addresses you can select to block this capability and only those on your Allow List will be delivered.

7. Wireless Number Control - If have selected an alias you can choose to block delivery of messages sent to your 10-digitmobile#@txt.att.net address and deliver ONLY those e-mails sent to your alias.

8. Message Segment Control - Text messages as e-mails can be long and include more than 160 characters, the maximum size of a text message segment. Since you pay for every segment or text message, it's important for you to have control. Message Segment Control allows you to dictate how many segments of an e-mail are initially sent to their handset. If you would like an additional segment of the message to be delivered, you can reply M for "more." To get all of the remaining segments of a message, you can reply ALL to the message.

Email Messages to Your Mobile Phone
1. Visit the company web site (www.company.com) that sent the message to unsubscribe either by following a link with "unsubscribe" instructions, or by contacting the company directly to find out the specific procedure.

2. The company sending the messages may send you more messages between the time they are notified to cancel the messages and the time the messages actually stop.

3. Visit AT&T's Messaging Preferences web site where you can apply email delivery controls, create personalized block and allow lists, and create an alias to replace MSISDN.

Messages from 5 Digit Short Code of 36245
1. The AT&T's Messaging Preferences web site allows you to setup and manage your Email-to-SMS messaging preferences.

2. Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging.

3. Changes to your Message Preferences account can take up to 24 hours to take affect.

Messages from a Short Code, (example: 12345 or 123456789)

If the short code is not associated to Instant Messaging, you can reply with the words STOP, END, QUIT, CANCEL or UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of the message.
Messages from Another Wireless Number
1. If you have / want Smart Limits, you can block calls and text messages from specific numbers. For more information go to Wireless Products and Services, or go to www.att.com/smartlimits.

2. You can change your number. Call your Customer Care Center located on your bill. Make sure to guard your new number.

3. You may block ALL Text or ALL Picture Messages. To do this, call your Customer Care Center located on your bill. NOTE: You will not be able to send or receive ANY Text or Picture Messages if you select these options.

Messages Arriving in your MEdia Net Inbox
You need to access your MEdia Net Email account and log in using your Media Net ID or wireless number. Verify the account is receiving the Spam Messages. If the end user has SPAM Messages in the MEdia Net mailbox continue to the next step.

1. Under Email Options, near the bottom of the Email Center, you will click on "Message Alerts & Filters".

2. Click on "Turn Off". NOTE: This action will turn off all Mail Alerts and subscriber will not receive any SMS mail notifications from MEdia Net.

Messages Arriving from Greendot.com
1. Greendot is a popular prepaid credit card company, which offers SMS updates regarding remaining balance. If you have a prepaid credit card through Greendot, you should call the customer service number on the back of the credit card.

2. If you do not hold a Greendot Prepaid Credit Card, you may email an opt-out request to CVisa@greendotcorp.com. You must include your full 10 digit number and your full name requesting to remove your number from the Greendot Contact List.

Yahoo! Instant Messenger Abuse

Click here to report any Instant Messenger abuse.
Yahoo! Instant Messenger SPAM

Old  July 25th, 2010, 8:36pm     #10
zelda
Grand Master Sweeper

I would have called the police after the second time of the late night /early morning calls.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8...nniesigbw1.jpg
  Old  July 26th, 2010, 9:53pm     #11
sassybrat
Master Sweeper

Okay, well the harassment continued through yesterday afternoon. They were texting me and also my sister, then my nieces got involved and they were texting them too. We all got together and just started bombarding this person with phone calls and texts and threatened to turn them in to the phone company and the police. They played stupid for a little bit and then I think (I hope) they realized we were serious. The said they wouldn't bother us anymore and it has been quiet ever since. I still was going to contact the phone company but I got extremely busy today and didn't get around to it. If they start up again, I won't hesitate to contact them and also the police.
Thanks for all of your advice!
  Old  July 27th, 2010, 12:49am     #12
EllaBarns
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda View Post
I would have called the police after the second time of the late night /early morning calls.
Wow.
  Old  July 27th, 2010, 1:19am     #13
jordan123
Senior Master Sweeper

Hey, I have not seen you around much ......

I miss you in the survey forum....How are ya ???

SORRY OP ----- I do not have a cell phone, so I cannot help ya !

I could ask my teenage son-----he will be back shortly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassss View Post
If you have verizon, you can go on your account online and block people
  Old  July 27th, 2010, 10:16pm     #14
zelda
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaBarns View Post
Wow.
Why WOW? If i am getting texts, and the person has been informed I am not the person they are looking for and continue I feel calling the police if absolutely warranted. Especially if the person is doing it repeatedly in the early morning hours, or late and night....I don't care if it's a child/teenager or an adult doing the texting. The first night would be a freebie, but if they did it again YES the police would be called.

I would do the same if someone called my cell or landline reapetedly after being told they had the wrong number, or have been called to stop calling me.

It's harrasment.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8...nniesigbw1.jpg
  Old  July 27th, 2010, 10:19pm     #15
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

Obviously this kid wasn't too smart. Otherwise he would have blocked his number and it would come up "unknown." Glad you were able to finally put a stop to it.