Old  July 16th, 2010, 12:14am     #1
foolofatook
Master Sweeper

Help please! Does skunk spray smell like burned plastic/sulfur?
I let the dog out & 5 minutes later I caught a whiff of skunk as I passed a window. When I got to the door I was hit with this putrid stench- it smelled like burning plastic and sulfur (kinda like fireworks smell but 100 times worse). Like burn your nostrils kinda strong.

The whole yard stunk and my dog came running to me with her eyes watering and her front paws covered in mud. I immediately took her in and bathed her with dog shampoo because I just wanted to rinse her eyes and get the mud off to see if she had any bite marks (no thankfully).

Now my house smells but the smell outside seems to be dissipating. Right now she just smells like wet dog. Her collar stinks like the burning plastic/sulfur smell. Does skunk spray smell like that when its really strong?

I thought maybe some jerk threw something over the fence but she never barked, she never yelped, and she had no visible liquid on her not even oily like I would think skunk spray would be.

Plus the muddy paws lead me to believe she was digging- most likely at something on the other side of the fence. She seems ok now, tails wagging, she even wanted to go back outside!

What do you think? Were we skunked? Shouldnt she smell like skunk now or will it set in once she dries? Im confused since Ive only ever smelled the typical "skunk" smell.
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 12:24am     #2
spennysmom
Senior Sweeper

My dog loves to chase the skunk that lives outside and has been blasted twice. He smells like the strongest onion smell you can imagine when it happens. After I wash him, he has the "traditional" skunk smell that lingers a bit on his fur.

I'm not sure what your dog got into! Maybe another type of spraying animal? I found a good recipe online for a peroxide, baking soda, and dish detergent mixture that did a good job with the stink.

Good luck finding out the smelly mystery!

Hi how are ya?
MyWins...YAY!
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 12:36am     #3
foolofatook
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennysmom View Post
My dog loves to chase the skunk that lives outside and has been blasted twice. He smells like the strongest onion smell you can imagine when it happens. After I wash him, he has the "traditional" skunk smell that lingers a bit on his fur.

I'm not sure what your dog got into! Maybe another type of spraying animal? I found a good recipe online for a peroxide, baking soda, and dish detergent mixture that did a good job with the stink.

Good luck finding out the smelly mystery!
I really cant think of any other animals that spray around here. I did see the recipe your talking about, if she smells skunky tomorrow I'll have to give it a shot.
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 7:19am     #4
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't think that is skunk, skunk smells very green and alive. Hard to describe. But I wouldn't describe the way you did.

Are you guys rural? Is there any chance she got into a burn pile or even have a meth lab near by or something?

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 12:28pm     #5
foolofatook
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutterfly View Post
I don't think that is skunk, skunk smells very green and alive. Hard to describe. But I wouldn't describe the way you did.

Are you guys rural? Is there any chance she got into a burn pile or even have a meth lab near by or something?
We are in the suburbs. But, my first thought when I opened the door last night was "OMG someone has a meth lab!" LOL. Strangely enough it was definitely skunk, she totally smells skunky now. (& the house too) After some serious googling I did find a few forums where people had described it just like I smelled it: burning plastic or rubber, chemical almost kinda smell.

I dont know if it was the strength of the spray or proximity or we just had some rogue skunk but that was the nastiest smell. She'll be getting her second bath shortly now. The baths seem to traumatize her more than the damn skunk did, she hates getting a bath.
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 1:16pm     #6
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

Good luck. My folks dog has been skunked.

The worst ever, was hiking with the dog ( our old boy we had to put down last year ) and he rolled in something large and dead when we weren't looking. Longest. Ride home.Ever.

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 2:50pm     #7
bdc63
Senior Master Sweeper

Ah ... I'm dredding the day -- I frequently will get a whiff of skunk outside, but so far (knock on wood) none of the fur babies have been sprayed by one.

I VOTERS! - Stop by the Voting Forums and Help Out Some Fellow OLSer!
2010-Winnings-ThanksOLS!
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 5:23pm     #8
foolofatook
Master Sweeper

Well she got the peroxide/baking soda recipe bath, I think she still stinks. Its faint but its there, hubby says he cant really tell. I mopped the floors with vinegar and boiled some cinnamon sticks and have all the fans on and windows open so hopefully that should do it.

What a PITA! She's turning in early tonight so we dont have a repeat episode!
  Old  July 16th, 2010, 6:52pm     #9
Meadow
Grand Master Sweeper

That's exactly the way the skunk spray around here smells like when you are up close and personal!

Definitely a nostril burning sensation!

Glad to hear it's dissipating.