Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:24am     #1
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

Brewed tea drinkers..how many tea bags do you use?
We are brewed tea drinkers in our house. My husband will only drink unsweetened tea, and my mother-in-law and I drink sweet tea. I use 12 bags when I brew his, 10 bags when I brew ours. I have a friend who shocked the poo out of me when she was brewing tea by only using 1 tea bag! I was thinking "wow..why not just sweeten water?"
So, I wanna know, how many tea bags do you use?
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:33am     #2
TragickMagick
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspitbull_owner View Post
We are brewed tea drinkers in our house. My husband will only drink unsweetened tea, and my mother-in-law and I drink sweet tea. I use 12 bags when I brew his, 10 bags when I brew ours. I have a friend who shocked the poo out of me when she was brewing tea by only using 1 tea bag! I was thinking "wow..why not just sweeten water?"
So, I wanna know, how many tea bags do you use?
How many cups are you making with 12 tea bags?!

I own a tea company and 12 tea bags (correctly portioned) would make at LEAST 12 cups of tea.

TM
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:36am     #3
Ashton7
Master Sweeper

Depending upon how strong the particular tea brews up, I use anywhere from 8-10 bags usually. I use approximately 12 cups of water. That's for making iced tea, which is what I assumed you meant.

Annie

My Blog
Startoons Parodies (Stargate Cartoons by my SO)
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:37am     #4
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

I use Lipton tea bags and make a gallon of tea with them. We like pretty strong tea..lol I wish I could use less, but have tried and even with the steeping, the tea still is very weak for our tastes.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:39am     #5
TragickMagick
Master Sweeper

Quote:
I use Lipton tea bags and make a gallon of tea with them. We like pretty strong tea..lol I wish I could use less, but have tried and even with the steeping, the tea still is very weak for our tastes.
For some reason, I thought you meant you used 12 tea bags for one cup of tea (I got that idea because I can't think of anyone who'd use ONE tea bag to make a gallon of tea). Talk about one hella strong cup of tea! LOL

The ratio I use and advise my customers to use is 1 tea bag per 2 cups of iced tea (1/2 the strength of hot tea). Since there are about 16 cups of water in a gallon, I use 6 - 8, depending on variety

TM
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:42am     #6
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton7 View Post
Depending upon how strong the particular tea brews up, I use anywhere from 8-10 bags usually. I use approximately 12 cups of water. That's for making iced tea, which is what I assumed you meant.
Yes, I make it for iced tea. We very rarely drink hot tea. If so, I just heat up the water in a cup in the microwave and use one tea bag. Hubby would gag if he even took a sip of hot tea though..lol
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:45am     #7
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

When I use one of those tea jars like you leave in the sun I use about 8 or so when i do both black or green. It is always strong and yummy. I also add NOT sweetner. It is so good just tea on ice mmmmmmm

If you leave it in for a bit it gets strong it isn't like colored water LOL . 12 would be a huge waste to me.

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:46am     #8
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragickMagick View Post
For some reason, I thought you meant you used 12 tea bags for one cup of tea (I got that idea because I can't think of anyone who'd use ONE tea bag to make a gallon of tea). Talk about one hella strong cup of tea! LOL

The ratio I use and advise my customers to use is 1 tea bag per 2 cups of iced tea (1/2 the strength of hot tea). Since there are about 16 cups of water in a gallon, I use 6 - 8, depending on variety

TM
12 tea bags for one cup would be a little much..haha. I couldn't imagine. I bet the spoon would stand straight up in tea that strong. As for the 1 tea bag thing..my friend did that. I asked her if that's the way she always made it and she said yes, that is how they like it. A whole gallon made with one bag..I would rather drink water, but to each their own I guess..hehe.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:49am     #9
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysJewel View Post
When I use one of those tea jars like you leave in the sun I use about 8 or so when i do both black or green. It is always strong and yummy. I also add NOT sweetner. It is so good just tea on ice mmmmmmm

If you leave it in for a bit it gets strong it isn't like colored water LOL . 12 would be a huge waste to me.
I've always wanted to make sun tea..I have tasted it before and it is delicious, but I haven't ever made it. Yeah, I have tried and tried to just use 6-8 tea bags but no matter how long I let it steep, it is still never strong enough for us. It sucks having to use so many, but that's just how we like it. Hubby prefers Lipton tea bags, but I can use the generic tea bags and be happy with them.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:49am     #10
CrazyCatLady
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Are you using the regular sized tea bags? In order to save money (not that tea is horribly expensive in the first place), you can use the family size tea bags. I used the Lipton's Ice Tea Brew family size tea bags. Box of 24 costs less than $2 at Walmart (closer to $3 or more at regular grocery stores).

Directions state to use 8 cups of boiling water over 2 tea bags. So that would be 4 bags for a gallon.

I use a 3 qt Iced tea maker. The tank takes 6 cups of water & right now I'm using 1 tea bag for it. I don't put ice in the pitcher when it brews, I only add ice to my glass so to not dilute all of it. However, I'm just starting to wean myself back onto tea.

I used to drink nothing but tea, a gallon or so a day, unsweetened. I used to use 2 bags per pot in the tea maker. Chill overnight, no added ice. But I had to quit caffeine last year due to the added stress of my job. Now, no job, so back to tea.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 1:51am     #11
EllaBarns
Senior Master Sweeper

I make my tea by the cup... I like it to be unsweetened, strong and very bitter so I use two bags and let them steep a bit longer than normal.

My mother uses five-six bags for her slightly-more-than-a-gallon of sweetened and lets it sit until it has cooled, then bags are removed and tea is put in the refrigerator. When people come over they gulp it up.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 2:02am     #12
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Are you using the regular sized tea bags? In order to save money (not that tea is horribly expensive in the first place), you can use the family size tea bags. I used the Lipton's Ice Tea Brew family size tea bags. Box of 24 costs less than $2 at Walmart (closer to $3 or more at regular grocery stores).

Directions state to use 8 cups of boiling water over 2 tea bags. So that would be 4 bags for a gallon.

I use a 3 qt Iced tea maker. The tank takes 6 cups of water & right now I'm using 1 tea bag for it. I don't put ice in the pitcher when it brews, I only add ice to my glass so to not dilute all of it. However, I'm just starting to wean myself back onto tea.

I used to drink nothing but tea, a gallon or so a day, unsweetened. I used to use 2 bags per pot in the tea maker. Chill overnight, no added ice. But I had to quit caffeine last year due to the added stress of my job. Now, no job, so back to tea.
I just use the regular size bags. I have even tried the big bags, but can't get it to taste like it does when I make it with the smaller bags..lol I think me and my household are just nuts...hehe. Either that or just so use to one way that we don't like new things?
I love tea, and can drink a gallon a day by myself, but I have cut back because all the caffeine does make my heart flutter. Plus all the sugar isn't that great on my lane bryant figure ;-)

I have used splenda to sweeten it too, when I am on my no sugar kick, which I very much need to get back on. Also, I use to have an ice tea machine and really liked it a lot. I may ask for another one when hubby and I get financially better.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 2:04am     #13
mrspitbull_owner
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaBarns View Post
I make my tea by the cup... I like it to be unsweetened, strong and very bitter so I use two bags and let them steep a bit longer than normal.

My mother uses five-six bags for her slightly-more-than-a-gallon of sweetened and lets it sit until it has cooled, then bags are removed and tea is put in the refrigerator. When people come over they gulp it up.
People always gulp mine up too..lol So I guess maybe I'm doing something right? hehe
In fact, every time my husband's cousin and her family come over, I have to make 2 gallon pitchers of sweet and they are usually gone within a couple of hours. Good stuff.
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 2:08am     #14
CrazyCatLady
Master Sweeper

How funny. I don't like Lipton in the little bags. And I didn't really care for the big bags until they came out with the Iced Tea Brew. (And the Cold Brew ones are a total waste.)
  Old  May 10th, 2010, 2:09am     #15
EllaBarns
Senior Master Sweeper

Isn't it such a nice feeling when people love something you made so much!!