Old  February 1st, 2010, 11:43pm     #1
Alexandrea
Master Sweeper

1099-Misc forms, only got copy for my records?
I was lucky enough to win a weekend trip to Scottsdale through a local radio station and sponsored by Pepsi last year.

I was already having some issues because I got a 1099 from the communication company that owns the radio station and I was already going to contest the amount because I have documentation that it's 900 difference between actual and amount on the 1099. I wouldn't bother if it was a more expensive trip but for a 2 night trip with no frills thats a lot of money.

Then today I got a 1099 for the same amount from PEPSI. I can already tell straightening this "double billing/taxing" out is going to be a hassle - the voice mail is full for the communication company, Pepsi changed their phone menu and I left a message for somebody I am pretty sure has not a single thing to do with accounting. I don't even know if I should be talking to accounting or promotions. I also emailed the contact person from the fulfillment company to ask advice for who I should contact and their email bounced.

Oh, really I just like talking about myself apparently because I haven't gotten around to my question! Both of these companies only sent me the 1099 copy for MY records, and not a copy to send to the IRS. I vaguely remember a similar thing happened a couples of years ago but that company sent the 1099 after the IRS filing deadline so I had already filed and claimed the amount it was for, never sent in the form later.

I just realized that if I filed electronically it probably doesn't matter? But I'm a bit old fashioned and like sending in the paper. Does anybody know if I need a copy to send in with my tax return?
  Old  February 1st, 2010, 11:52pm     #2
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

They already have a copy ready to go to the IRS, if they have not already sent to them. The copy you have is for your records. You Do NOT send it in with your tax return. You keep it with your tax records for the year.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  February 1st, 2010, 11:55pm     #3
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...106530,00.html

You will not usually attach a 1099-series form to your return, except when you receive a Form 1099-R that shows income tax withheld. You should keep a copy of all the 1099s that you receive with your tax records for the year. There are several different forms in this series, including:

Form 1099–B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
Form 1099–DIV, Dividends and Distributions
Form 1099–INT, Interest Income
Form 1099–MISC, Miscellaneous Income
Form 1099–OID, Original Issue Discount
Form 1099–R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
Form SSA–1099, Social Security Benefit Statement

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  February 2nd, 2010, 12:07am     #4
Alexandrea
Master Sweeper

Thank you! I spent the afternoon at the a different gov site getting the paperwork ready for my husbands passport renewal, didn't even think to see if I could find that information on it somewhere, I am guessing I would've had trouble though, the IRS' website tends to make my head hurt
  Old  February 2nd, 2010, 10:07am     #5
sweeptastic
Junior Sweeper

I find some of it confusing especially if it is your first time getting everything ready to go.
  Old  February 2nd, 2010, 12:12pm     #6
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

Talk to your tax professional about attaching an explanation of what happened, and why the trip is woth less than the 1099 says--both of them! You don't have to get a "corrected" on from the 1099 issuer. You can try of course, and it's a nuisance to do so, but it's up to you.

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free; We shall be free -- GARTH BROOKS
  Old  February 2nd, 2010, 3:45pm     #7
buddyspa
Senior Sweeper

Many happy returns
I had the same experience (but with different companies). I usually keep meticulous records and list the actual value of the prizes as MISC. income. I have been audited for other items, but never have been questioned about sweeps winnings. Just keep receipts and valuations and you shouldn't have any issues (fingers crossed)
  Old  February 2nd, 2010, 4:15pm     #8
wilsnanni
Junior Sweeper

former tax acct
Keep both of the copies for yourself, do not attach a letter to the return. IF you get a letter from the IRS (in 3 years), then explain/produce records.