Old  January 20th, 2010, 1:47pm     #1
CRUISEMOM
Sweeper

Caribbean Cruise Lines
I just got a call that I won a cruise from this line. I was very suspicious because I could hear all of the telemarketers in the background. She said all I had to do was pay the port charges right now to secure a trip. They were $120.00. I didn't go any further than that. I knew there had to be a catch. Anyone hear of this? She was quick to get off the phone as she sensed my disbelief. She said Carmen Electra promoted this and Carmen wouldn't be involved in a scam.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 1:48pm     #2
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Old  January 20th, 2010, 1:55pm     #3
talin710
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdehart View Post
Well said.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:00pm     #4
carenyllie
Master Sweeper

Spam or not, this is a scam that's going on right now. I used to be a travel agent and I've had 3 former clients ask me about this this week. It IS a scam. Do NOT listen to these people at all. If you go to their website, yes, Carmen Electra is promoting it.....sad, but true. Google them and you will find lists of their complaints and people getting scammed.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:01pm     #5
Mossie
Senior Sweeper

Cruise Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEMOM View Post
I just got a call that I won a cruise from this line. I was very suspicious because I could hear all of the telemarketers in the background. She said all I had to do was pay the port charges right now to secure a trip. They were $120.00. I didn't go any further than that. I knew there had to be a catch. Anyone hear of this? She was quick to get off the phone as she sensed my disbelief. She said Carmen Electra promoted this and Carmen wouldn't be involved in a scam.

I got a call from them two weeks ago. They wanted us to meet in Ft. Worth with other people to learn more about it.
These are hard sells like having to listen to people try to sell you a timeshare. I'm sure you did the right thing by
not listening to them.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:27pm     #6
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Gosh, I'm glad that you had your radar on about the spammy offer.

When I saw the thread title I thought you were going to be talking about Carnival Cruise Lines.

Unbelievably, they have resumed using Haiti as a port stop, this week. They have
a beach they lease and so they have their passengers, lounging on the beach, drinking
fancy drinks, under armed guards. I guess there is a fence to block access to the
beach. I've read some comments from some upset passengers - the idea of conspicuously
vacationing on the beach while people are hungry, thirsty, homeless, children alone in the streets and dead bodies within minutes of this leased beach.

The cruise line tired to spin it by saying well were bringing in fresh water for the country.

I think that the cruise industry should park a cruise ship at the port and allow those poor devastated people to use a ship as a place to live, eat and receive minor medical care
according to what the cruise ship doctor can administer.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:40pm     #7
carenyllie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnutfall View Post
Gosh, I'm glad that you had your radar on about the spammy offer.

When I saw the thread title I thought you were going to be talking about Carnival Cruise Lines.

Unbelievably, they have resumed using Haiti as a port stop, this week. They have
a beach they lease and so they have their passengers, lounging on the beach, drinking
fancy drinks, under armed guards. I guess there is a fence to block access to the
beach. I've read some comments from some upset passengers - the idea of conspicuously
vacationing on the beach while people are hungry, thirsty, homeless, children alone in the streets and dead bodies within minutes of this leased beach.

The cruise line tired to spin it by saying well were bringing in fresh water for the country.

I think that the cruise industry should park a cruise ship at the port and allow those poor devastated people to use a ship as a place to live, eat and receive minor medical care
according to what the cruise ship doctor can administer.

That's Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The island that they own is off the north coast of Haiti, about 100 miles from Port of Prince. They are giving all the proceeds they make from their stop to the island from the customers on the ship. When they are there, they are off loading water, food, and supplies than is brought down to the people that need it.

If they have a ship full of people who paid to take a cruise, where would they put these people from Haiti? If you are willing to give up your spot on a cruise for the people of Haiti, that's very noble of you, but for the cruise line to demand that people not take the cruise they paid for, I'm sure there would be some resistance from people at least. The fact of the matter is, that the cruise line is running a business and they are continuing to do so. They have chosen to donate all of their profits from this port of call, which is more than any other cruise line can say, because they are the only ones doing so.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:50pm     #8
SweepsAng
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenyllie View Post
That's Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The island that they own is off the north coast of Haiti, about 100 miles from Port of Prince. They are giving all the proceeds they make from their stop to the island from the customers on the ship. When they are there, they are off loading water, food, and supplies than is brought down to the people that need it.
Yep. People also have to realize that Royal hires a bunch of the locals to work there. Kind of tough to say we aren't stopping here anymore because of the earthquake, so now you're also out of a job.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:54pm     #9
bigfishtails
Senior Sweeper

Port
May be hard to grasp, but the cruise lines are the only means of support for many of these people. If the ship doesn't dock, there is no money coming in. I think the cruise lines did the right thing.

I want to win a boat
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 2:58pm     #10
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenyllie View Post

If they have a ship full of people who paid to take a cruise, where would they put these people from Haiti? If you are willing to give up your spot on a cruise for the people of Haiti, that's very noble of you, but for the cruise line to demand that people not take the cruise they paid for, I'm sure there would be some resistance from people at least. The fact of the matter is, that the cruise line is running a business and they are continuing to do so. They have chosen to donate all of their profits from this port of call, which is more than any other cruise line can say, because they are the only ones doing so.

Thanks for the clarification on the the correct cruise line name.

From what I read the beach is on the main island of Haiti and I think that for the sake of PR
they decided to give the proceeds from their stop to the relief efforts.

Now I think if you reread by post you'll notice that I said cruise industry. I didn't say a thing about people who had paid for their cruise to be asked to leave their ship or not to even take their cruise. What I was trying to convey is that the industry as a whole who utilize the Caribbean and many other ports in the world should ban together and jointly rotate
an idle ship into the area and use it for relief efforts. I hope that that is a bit more clear.

Yes, I do realize that they higher a lot of local people, which I think is great.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 3:02pm     #11
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepsAng View Post
Yep. People also have to realize that Royal hires a bunch of the locals to work there. Kind of tough to say we aren't stopping here anymore because of the earthquake, so now you're also out of a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishtails View Post
May be hard to grasp, but the cruise lines are the only means of support for many of these people. If the ship doesn't dock, there is no money coming in. I think the cruise lines did the right thing.
I agree. I would imagine that cruise lines have to "file" some sort of cruise plan (much like the airlines have to have flight plans). To try and change those plans on a whim would most likely cause chaos for not only this cruise line, but others working around it, as well as for the passengers.
Most of the cruises were probably booked and payed for months in advance.
And not to mention, where exactly are they going to put these Haitians on them if they are already booked with passengers?
Would be kind of unrealistic to just expect them to cancel all their booked cruises just to sit off the coast as a floating shelter for only GOD knows how long.
At least it seems they are making an attempt to bring in supplies with them when they come to port.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 3:13pm     #12
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

I apologize to the OP, publicly and I will also do so privately. I didn't mean to have your thread deviate from your spam phone call.
I just was giving a FYI to folks.

Here is an article along with comments (reading the comments shows others who somewhat share my opinion) about what I wrote.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruis...&ak=15038.blog

I said noting about changing peoples cruising plans on a whim.
I said that the industry as a whole has an idle unbooked ship(s) that could be used
to house people.

I'm not a stupid person , nor naive and I understand business and the tourist industry.
I've read many business model concepts from the Harvard Business Review and other sources
while pursuing a university business degree.

I'm human and it is my humble opinion.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 3:35pm     #13
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

I think that if any of you have anything to be said about what I posted then perhaps one of you would start a new thread about it or pm me with your thoughts as I think that would be better than to take away from the intention of the OP original topic.

I keep an open mind and do respect others viewpoints.
I just think that some may not understanding what I'm saying.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 4:55pm     #14
CRUISEMOM
Sweeper

Thanks to all who replied. I just had that sinking feeling after I hung up ...that maybe I just gave up a cruise....and I love my cruises! I just came back from a cruise to Haiti a few months ago and I enjoyed that beach you are talking about. It was real luxury. All the food you can eat and drinks brought to us. It would be REAL hard for me to sit on that beach now...knowing that just over an hour's drive behind me there is all of that devastation. I know I couldn't do it. But, my husband said the cruiselines are providing work for about 200 Haitians. Tough call.
  Old  January 20th, 2010, 8:19pm     #15
sammee
Senior Sweeper

Yeah, alot of those cruise reservations are made a year in advance. I probably would stay on the ship that day.

As far as the OP's question, a cruise can be had from them, but I wouldn't do it. I actually saw the ship in the Bahamas last summer, but you're gonna go thru Hell to get it. If you look on cruise critic com, there is info in the forums if you do a search. They couldn't pay me to go.

If you were willing to spend the $120, keep saving up. You can get a cruise for 2 for $600 or less, if you watch the prices and willing to drive to the port. We did a Carnival cruise to Bahamas from Jacksonville. It cost under $200 for the gas from NJ to FL & back. I had a $100 motel voucher I won earlier, and budgeted the food stops. The cruise itself for 4 people to book was $1400 total for 4 people and included cancellation insurance. That's $350 per person. You can do it cheaper if you watch the cruiseline websites. Book directly with the line to have complete control. If I don't win any trips to eat up my vacation time next year, I may just do it. My days this year are sunk with Universal in Florida and Wentworth Mansion, that I still have to make arrangements for.