Old  November 26th, 2009, 10:07pm     #1
thealfa
Sweeper

which is at better odds of winning at: scratch off lottos or regular lottos?
I'm thinking it's regular lottos (quick pick or you choose your own numbers) because scratch off lottos already have that predetermined winning numbers printed up and distributed all over the state, meaning the winning scratch off ticket already exist.
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 10:46pm     #2
Chowsetter
Master Sweeper

I have won more than lost with
Scratch offs. I have won two draw lotteries of $3.00 and once $600.00 from take five which was a fluke.

I have won $500.00 and at least 2 $100.00 and quite a few $50.00, $25.00, $10.00 and $5.00 to count with scratch offs.

My success comes from getting the new games the first day they are out and always buy them in a row. If they are running out and you want to buy 4 tickets and they want to give you the last 2 in the pack and the first 2 of a new pack, walk away. Buy them somewhere else.

Don't be fooled by the "WE HAD A WINNER" signs because not all venues will do that. My $500.00 win came from the local supermarket and they had none of those signs up.

I still buy lotto, cause you never know, but I actually am surprised when I don't win on the scratch offs.

I should say I only buy the $5.00 or $10.00 tickets. The $1.00 or $2.00 are a waste of money. You may break even with them but that's usually about it
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 10:52pm     #3
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalfarhan View Post
I'm thinking it's regular lottos (quick pick or you choose your own numbers) because scratch off lottos already have that predetermined winning numbers printed up and distributed all over the state, meaning the winning scratch off ticket already exist.
The state I live in just recently approved legal state lotteries. Currently we just have scratch off tickets and powerball. We will be adding MegaMillions, pick 3 and pick 4 games shortly.

In our state the odds of winning SOMETHING with scratch off tickets range from 1 in 3.24 to 1 in 4.51.

With Powerball, the odds of winning something are 1 in 35.11.
The odds of winning the PowerBall jackpot are 1 in 195,249,054.

With Mega Millions, the odds of winning something are 1 in 40.
The odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are 1 in 175,711,536

In comparison, Here are the odds for one of our our $1 scratch off tickets.
This particular one has the largest currently available top prize of $3,000 for a $1 ticket.
The odds of winning something are 1 in 4.8.
The oddsof winning the top prize are 1 in 788,571.

In general, the bigger the maximum prize, the lower the chances are of winning anything with a single ticket. It takes an awful lot of losing $1 tickets to fund a $20+ million dollar grand prize.

The Mega Millions wikipedia page has an interesting view of the of statistics of winnign the top prize...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Millions
Quote:
To put these odds in perspective, in the US in 2008 there were 1.03 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. A person living one mile from a retailer selling Mega Million Lottery tickets is 3.6 times as likely to die in an accident traveling to and from that store (2 miles) than winning the Mega Millions jackpot on a $1 play. Jackpot wining odds = 1 in 176 million; death odds = 2 miles * 1.03 deaths/100 million miles); 1 jackpot = 2 * 1.03 * 176 million / 100 million = 3.63 deaths.
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 10:58pm     #4
suziebee20
Master Sweeper

I think Scratch Offs are in terms of getting any type of win. Of course you arn't gonna win mega millions of dollers with a scratch off, but we've won $100 a few times. With scratch offs, your odds are about 1 in 4 or 5 that you'll win any prize (even if it's just a free ticket). With the ones where you have to pick the numbers, ther's something like 60 numbers and you have to match 2 just to win like $3.

I used to think buying them in a row would be the way to go because with a bunch of tickets, some have to be a winner, right? When the county fair comes every year if you buy $20 in tickets you get to spin the wheel to get bonus tickets. The bonus tickets are $1 tickets. They arn't special tickets, same ones you can buy at the store. Jaime got 15 tickets all in a row and only 1 of them was a winner! I was shocked because I thought if anything we'd at least win 2 or 3 tickets from that batch there. We usually buy the $3 ones (I don't think CA has anything higher although every now and then I've seen $5 ones I think?).
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 11:04pm     #5
lisalmg
Master Sweeper

I have mixed feelings about the scratcher cards. 3 years ago when we hardly ever bought them I won $10,000 on the single card I bought but last year we won $600 worth of $10 cards and our winning total was only $375 from all those cards.
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 11:05pm     #6
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

I found a webpage that describes our upcoming pick 3 style lottery.
The odds of winning the smallest prize is 1 in 100.
The overall odds of winning something would be slightly better than that.

I would think that the odds of winning something with the pick 4 would be similar yet somewhat worse than this.

The scratch off tickets generally offer the best chance on at least having you win your original money back.

Of course, if you can afford to buy tickets with almost no chance at winning big... the Powerball or Mega Millions tickets offer the biggest dream.
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 11:11pm     #7
retrobruce
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziebee20 View Post
I think Scratch Offs are in terms of getting any type of win. Of course you arn't gonna win mega millions of dollers with a scratch off, but we've won $100 a few times. With scratch offs, your odds are about 1 in 4 or 5 that you'll win any prize (even if it's just a free ticket). With the ones where you have to pick the numbers, ther's something like 60 numbers and you have to match 2 just to win like $3.

I used to think buying them in a row would be the way to go because with a bunch of tickets, some have to be a winner, right? When the county fair comes every year if you buy $20 in tickets you get to spin the wheel to get bonus tickets. The bonus tickets are $1 tickets. They arn't special tickets, same ones you can buy at the store. Jaime got 15 tickets all in a row and only 1 of them was a winner! I was shocked because I thought if anything we'd at least win 2 or 3 tickets from that batch there. We usually buy the $3 ones (I don't think CA has anything higher although every now and then I've seen $5 ones I think?).
Just because the odds may favor winning something with 1 in 5 odds, there is no guarantee that there will be a winning ticket within a run of 5 tickets. It's like flipping a coin. The odds of getting a coin face up are 1 in 2, but you could get face down 10 times in a row. The numbers are truely accurate only over the whole batch of tickets. If you buy ever single ticket produced for a given game with those odds, you would have a winner for one out of each five tickets purchased... and would have lost one hell of a lot of money.

We have $5 and now a recently introduced $10 scratch off ticket. A neighboring state has $20 scratch off tickets.
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 11:35pm     #8
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

Scratch offs, no doubt.

Just make sure you win more than you spend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/SosaLover/FREEval6/bunny.gif

Squirrel Butts Do Not Glow.
  Old  November 26th, 2009, 11:46pm     #9
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

s

MY BLOG: http://www.sirthriftalot.blogspot.com [updated: October 29th, 2012!]
  Old  November 27th, 2009, 12:41am     #10
cpnqn
Grand Master Sweeper

check!
Our state lists the odds of various scratch offs plus what prizes are still available. It's a handy tool to use when selecting if your goal is to win the jackpot- yet, it's already been won...
  Old  November 29th, 2009, 2:35pm     #11
thealfa
Sweeper

the 7/11 where I buy my scractch-offs usually have their tickets hidden under a counter, covered with "sample" tickets that have been scratched off already, but non-winning. I think these stores are realizing that people don't buy tickets if it's "almost gone" so that's why these stores selling them hide them behind the counter, covered up. Same thing with vending machines that sell tickets, you can't know if it's close to being sold out. It's hard to know if the ticket batch is the first 2 pack or at its last 2 pack, you know? I guess just buy 'em in rows like you said.

Oh I've seen stores where they have signs of "WE HAVE A WINNER" and they have the actual ticket to prove it. I don't know how they got a hold of it, must be a copy from the state lottery commission. Stores that sold a winning ticket usually get a percentage, thus they get bragging rights for being a "lucky" store and to attract more customers. I think there is a code on tickets where it can be traced to which store printed it. This is only for non-scratch off tickets though I think.

I buy $2 scratch-off tickets, $1 not really. Depends on how much money can be won at better odds. In my state there is 1 $30 scratch-off ticket, a few $20, $15, $10, and $5. I might take your advice of going for the $5 and $10 tickets instead of $1 or $2 tickets. Isn't the odds of winning just about the same with ALL these tickets? Only the prizes are different and rule of the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowsetter View Post
Scratch offs. I have won two draw lotteries of $3.00 and once $600.00 from take five which was a fluke.

I have won $500.00 and at least 2 $100.00 and quite a few $50.00, $25.00, $10.00 and $5.00 to count with scratch offs.

My success comes from getting the new games the first day they are out and always buy them in a row. If they are running out and you want to buy 4 tickets and they want to give you the last 2 in the pack and the first 2 of a new pack, walk away. Buy them somewhere else.

Don't be fooled by the "WE HAD A WINNER" signs because not all venues will do that. My $500.00 win came from the local supermarket and they had none of those signs up.

I still buy lotto, cause you never know, but I actually am surprised when I don't win on the scratch offs.

I should say I only buy the $5.00 or $10.00 tickets. The $1.00 or $2.00 are a waste of money. You may break even with them but that's usually about it
  Old  November 29th, 2009, 2:36pm     #12
thealfa
Sweeper

yeah so does my state. it's a great tool so you know you don't end up continue to buy tickets where the grand prize has already been won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnqn View Post
Our state lists the odds of various scratch offs plus what prizes are still available. It's a handy tool to use when selecting if your goal is to win the jackpot- yet, it's already been won...
  Old  November 29th, 2009, 2:45pm     #13
thealfa
Sweeper

yeah like the person above said, bought 1 ticket, won $10K. It's all luck as well. But the thing I was trying to point out is that scratch-off tickets already have that WINNING ticket somewhere around, printed up, waiting to be bought, whereas the Mega Millions/Power Ball/Lotto/Little Lotto still has a dice to be rolled to find out what the winning numbers will be. There is no predetermined winning ticket, unlike the scratch-offs. So I was thinking the non-scratch off tickets have a better chance of being "lucky" at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrobruce View Post
Just because the odds may favor winning something with 1 in 5 odds, there is no guarantee that there will be a winning ticket within a run of 5 tickets. It's like flipping a coin. The odds of getting a coin face up are 1 in 2, but you could get face down 10 times in a row. The numbers are truely accurate only over the whole batch of tickets. If you buy ever single ticket produced for a given game with those odds, you would have a winner for one out of each five tickets purchased... and would have lost one hell of a lot of money.

We have $5 and now a recently introduced $10 scratch off ticket. A neighboring state has $20 scratch off tickets.
  Old  November 29th, 2009, 4:02pm     #14
lummer5000
Senior Sweeper

The last tickets in a roll are as likely to have winners as any of the rest of them.

I often buy a single $1 ticket, just for the chance. One time I noticed that there were only 3 of them left, so I went ahead and bought all 3. The last one was the $25 winner.
  Old  November 29th, 2009, 4:48pm     #15
donnav07
Master Sweeper

Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalfarhan View Post
Isn't the odds of winning just about the same with ALL these tickets? Only the prizes are different and rule of the games.

In OK we have $1-$5 tickets. They aren't all the same odds. Some are better than others. I check the page at our lottery website and see which games have the best odds. Most I've won is $100 but I do win frequently. Like some of the others I usually buy mine in a row and do prefer the ones that are closest to the beginning or ending of a bundle. Usually in the first 15 or so or the last 15.

Donna

Last edited by donnav07; November 29th, 2009 at 4:48pm. Reason: add to