Old  August 10th, 2009, 3:21pm     #1
Miki
Grand Master Sweeper

Did my parakeet eat her egg?
Remember my thread about my parakeet laying eggs awhile back? There were 3 total and they had to be thrown out. 2 were unfertile and the other was fertile, however she had broke the egg so it died. I did leave the eggs for over a month "just in case".

Well, I finally removed them from the cage and a week ago she laid another egg. For the first few days she would hide it under the nesting material but, now it's gone. No sign of the egg.

Is it possible that she ate the egg? Why would she do this?

SWAGBUCKS
"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
  Old  August 10th, 2009, 4:28pm     #2
Denarius
Sweeper

Some birds will eat their eggs for a variety of reasons.

Medically, it may have been bad so she ate it to dispose of it, rather than leave an egg to go ewww in her nest or cage. She may also have been lacking calcium if she doesn't have a cuttlefish or something to gnaw on and ate the shell and so destroyed the egg.

Psycologically, (and if you'll forgive the insult) she may just be dumb. I've known a few parrots and parakeets who laid eggs and really didn't know what had happened. They'll then spend a while investigating this new toy, moving it, hiding it... and eventually either grow bored of it or break it and eat it. It just means that you have to watch them carefully for when they lay, then remove the eggs and incubate them manually.

If she doesn't have a cuttlefish or calcium source, try adding one and keeping an eye on her feeding.
  Old  August 10th, 2009, 10:23pm     #3
Miki
Grand Master Sweeper

Thank you for the information. My husband thinks that she doesn't know what to do with them so he goes with your 2nd theory as she is new to mating and laying eggs.

I thought it was rather odd that she would do this and I looked everywhere for her egg. I thought that maybe she was upset that I took her other eggs (She didn't like that) and decided to dispose of it herself before I did. They do need a newer cuddle bone so I will pick another one up in a few days.

Thank you again

SWAGBUCKS
"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
  Old  August 11th, 2009, 1:06am     #4
Veuve-Cliquot
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post
Remember my thread about my parakeet laying eggs awhile back? There were 3 total and they had to be thrown out. 2 were unfertile and the other was fertile, however she had broke the egg so it died. I did leave the eggs for over a month "just in case".

Well, I finally removed them from the cage and a week ago she laid another egg. For the first few days she would hide it under the nesting material but, now it's gone. No sign of the egg.

Is it possible that she ate the egg? Why would she do this?
I was watching this show on TLC yesterday, about sled dogs.

Apparently, THEY eat each other, if given the chance.

I'm guessing that birds would do the same.
  Old  August 11th, 2009, 1:14am     #5
eyzofblu63
Grand Master Sweeper

Do you have a male an female? a nesting box?

If you have no male she will lay the eggs but they will never thrive. She will simply ignore them or break them. If you have a male, the male will often break them. If you have both a male and female and want the eggs to be fertilized and hatch, get a nesting box. She will have them in there, and will take care of them. If they are out in the open, she will 9 out of 20 ignore them. eating the eggs is often a sign that she needs more calcium.
  Old  August 11th, 2009, 1:17am     #6
Ladyxmess
Senior Master Sweeper

My chickens eat their eggs if they break after laying. They are cannibals....

The calcium theory sounds good---I save all the egg shells and feed them back to the chickens for a nutritious snack---also supplement with oyster shell.

Hope you have new babies soon.

When humor goes, there goes civilization.
-- Erma Bombeck--
  Old  August 11th, 2009, 1:24am     #7
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

My Mama said never give the chickens egg shells,it would encourage them to eat their eggs.
  Old  August 11th, 2009, 1:36am     #8
Denarius
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
My Mama said never give the chickens egg shells,it would encourage them to eat their eggs.
Exactly so. With my ducks I was always told by older and wiser duck farmers never to feed ducks their own or any other duck eggshells, they learn that it's food and end up eating their own eggs very quickly. I always ordered giant bags of oyster shells and they got that to supplement when they were laying.