Old  August 6th, 2009, 2:44pm     #1
twinangels
Master Sweeper

Just lost my grandma, what do I say at funeral?
she is my best friend. I need to speak at her funeral tomorrow and I do not know what to say, never been to a funeral much less someone who meant so much to me. Please help me give a speach in rememberance...

I told a memory of how I would call with a problem and her answer was always "Oh well..." so Oh Well Grandma your body is gone but you are still here with us.

Felt kinda silly as I was choked up. Thanks everyone...

Last edited by twinangels; August 10th, 2009 at 7:33pm.
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 2:50pm     #2
Mom2myboys
Master Sweeper

My grandmother died in March, I didn't speak but enjoyed hearing the stories others told. My Aunt spoke of the first time she met her, my cousin of Gram babysitting him, talking walks and making cookies. Tales of her lifetime of volunteer work. It's sad but I learned so much about my Gram the day of her memorial.

Sorry about your Gram

Old  August 6th, 2009, 3:05pm     #3
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

My mom passed in May. I told everyone I wasn't going to say anything at the memorial. Then while someone else was talking a flood of things I wanted to say came so I went up and it just came out.
Sometimes NOT preparing is best and you just say what is on your heart.
You are filled with everything there is to say about her so let it just come.
I am sorry for your pain ... it hurts badly!

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 3:06pm     #4
WhyNot
Senior Sweeper

My suggestion is to just speak from your heart. Tell stories about fond memories you had with her and the things she taught you about life. You don't have to prepare a spefici speach to memorize, just talk about what feels right to say at the time. As long as you speak from your heart, you cannot go wrong.
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 3:08pm     #5
Ladyxmess
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysJewel View Post
My mom passed in May. I told everyone I wasn't going to say anything at the memorial. Then while someone else was talking a flood of things I wanted to say came so I went up and it just came out.
Sometimes NOT preparing is best and you just say what is on your heart.
You are filled with everything there is to say about her so let it just come.
I am sorry for your pain ... it hurts badly!
I agree-just say what's in your heart. At my Dads funeral I read a Bible verse I thought applied to him, then talked about Dad-whatever entered my heart.
I am so sorry for your loss.

When humor goes, there goes civilization.
-- Erma Bombeck--
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 3:27pm     #6
wwWinter
Master Sweeper

so sorry for your loss
just say what you told us
she was your best friend
she will always live on in your heart + memories + actions
remember the kind things she taught you to do or how handy or smart -

you will notice that you are more a result of what she taught you and without knowing it you will always carry a part of her with you - whether it be in kindness to others, or simple things like holding the door for an elderly person - it is the small things they do that stick with you + remain a part of you always
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 3:55pm     #7
HASAMA
Grand Master Sweeper

when i lost my sister, it came from the heart, but i made it light so shed on the positive things so instead of mourning her, we where celebrating her the life she had and all the positive things about her

this is what i wrote to give you an idea of what i am talking about

Laurie was the type of person who would want us here to celebrate her life, and all the things she gave to so many people, instead of mourning her death.

While her death took everyone by shock, and it was most unexpected, Laurie being the spiritual person she was, was well prepared. She often spoke of death, and was not afraid of it, she was more afraid of living in pain.

Laurie was a free spirit, who sailed with the wind and danced to her own drummer, there was no holding Laurie back from everything.

There where many times, even before this incident, when Laurie said “If I die tomorrow, I will die happy, because I have done everything in my life, that I wanted to do”, true or not we will never know however, Laurie certainly had a lot of adventures, and did many many things that most people could only imagine, or not even think of.

When Laurie would walk into a room, the whole room would light up like a Christmas Tree fully lit, as she was so vibrant and full of life.

Laurie could strike up a conversation at any time, with anyone about anything and she would always leave a lasting impression.

Laurie loved people, and was a devoted friend to all.

Laurie always gave from her whole heart and tried to help who ever she could.

Laurie was a trusted and caring nurse, a caring daughter, and a wonderful sister, sister in law and aunt.

After many years, Laurie will finally be with her daddy, whom she loved adored and idolized.

The saddest thing about this, is that a person of this caliber, who was so young and vivacious will not be able to shed sunshine on earth any longer, however, her memories will last for ever.

Laurie, you will be in our hearts, and thoughts for ever, and we are just glad that you are no longer suffering.

Love always your family

Follow me on twitter @hasama36
Our NEW Revised Website is now up http://www.minsthins.com
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 4:58pm     #8
LynnB
Sweeper

Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Grandmother.

My husband spoke at my Dad's funeral. After he finished he asked if anyone else would like to share a story or a memory of my Dad. People whom I had never met told of memories or how much of an impact my Dad had on their life. it meant so much to me.

Like so many have said, speak from your heart, celebrate your Grandmother's life. It sounds like she was a very special lady.
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 5:09pm     #9
ksmith47
Grand Master Sweeper

I am so sorry.

Like many have said, just speak from your heart. Perhaps recall a favorite memory of a fun time together.
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 5:39pm     #10
MonCherie
Grand Master Sweeper

I am so sorry for your loss-
My Grandma is a best friend to me too; we don't talk as much as I like to because she can't hear well on the phone, but we have always been every close.
Speak from the heart, and now that is always with you in spirit.
She is also there in everything beautiful that you hear, see, smell, taste or feel.

Love Amazon Gift Cards? YOU win when I search!http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?RefBy=PattiD
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 5:55pm     #11
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

remember the good times, the happy times

RIP grandma
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 7:07pm     #12
samf36
Master Sweeper

Sorry for your loss.
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 9:54pm     #13
Petuniapig11
Master Sweeper

Oh Debi, I am so very sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing I totally agree, try to think of the wonderful times and just why she was so special to you and others. Lighthearted memories will really hit home with those who knew her well. It's a time to celebrate the great person she was, and life she had! Big HUGZ to you!!!!

Call someplace paradise, Kiss it goodbye
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 9:57pm     #14
Kayte71
Grand Master Sweeper

Sorry you lost your Gram.
  Old  August 6th, 2009, 10:05pm     #15
jenninshelby
Grand Master Sweeper

Sorry for your loss

"The cat has always been associated with the Moon. For like the moon, it comes to life at night, escaping from humanity and wandering over housetops with its eyes
beaming out through the darkness."