Old  June 22nd, 2009, 12:28pm     #1
Silver Spring is offline
Silver Spring
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,068
Location: the 'burbs (Mpls)
Homework help: What's an "Armchair Anthropologist"?
As in "Armchair Anthropology vs. Ethnography"?

Field Study and Writing seem to be the two keywords. Does armchair imply that there's no direct contact (or field study)??
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 12:47pm     #2
caseycupcake is offline
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper
 
caseycupcake's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 17,464
Location: diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
Finally, I get to use my degree in Anthropology!

Ethnograhpers go out and do field work.

Arm-chair anthroplogists use the data collected from ethnographers (missionaries, traders, explorers, etc)

So it's the difference between first hand and second hand (hear-say) data. Second hand data can be biased and limited.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 12:53pm     #3
TinyMoMo is offline
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper
 
TinyMoMo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 10,420
Location: OHIO!!!!
are those like armchair football analysts?
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 1:14pm     #4
Silver Spring is offline
Silver Spring
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,068
Location: the 'burbs (Mpls)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycupcake View Post
Finally, I get to use my degree in Anthropology!

Ethnograhpers go out and do field work.

Arm-chair anthroplogists use the data collected from ethnographers (missionaries, traders, explorers, etc)

So it's the difference between first hand and second hand (hear-say) data. Second hand data can be biased and limited.


You rock! That's kinda what I was thinking but couldn't find any info to verify my guess. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 1:33pm     #5
Brenton is offline
Brenton
Senior Sweeper
 
Brenton's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Location: Purgatory
I am just starting my Junior year in Anthropology. It rocks.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 1:41pm     #6
Silver Spring is offline
Silver Spring
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,068
Location: the 'burbs (Mpls)
Really? I thought it would be any easy A class but I'm absolutely bored to tears by it.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 1:46pm     #7
Brenton is offline
Brenton
Senior Sweeper
 
Brenton's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Location: Purgatory
I have some great classes where I am. They have Cryptozoology classes and the history of witchcraft and religion, etc. I am doing Archeology of Death, Anthropology and Media (how governments control their people through media), and Archeology. I have a double Minor in Archeology and Psychology. My Psych class this semeser is Psychology of Sexuality. Really looking forward to my classes this semester.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 2:01pm     #8
caseycupcake is offline
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper
 
caseycupcake's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 17,464
Location: diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
Sometimes a course is a real clunker. One that still sticks out in my mind was Peruvian prehistiry
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 2:11pm     #9
Brenton is offline
Brenton
Senior Sweeper
 
Brenton's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Location: Purgatory
There is always job security in the past because it will always be there.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 2:12pm     #10
TooOlduvai is offline
TooOlduvai
Grand Master Sweeper
 
TooOlduvai's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton View Post
I am just starting my Junior year in Anthropology. It rocks.
It rocks BIG TIME! I just finished my BA in Anthro.

Those who forget the past force the rest of us to repeat it.
...........................................................................TooOlduvai (2013)
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 2:18pm     #11
Brenton is offline
Brenton
Senior Sweeper
 
Brenton's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Location: Purgatory
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOlduvai View Post
It rocks BIG TIME! I just finished my BA in Anthro.
Congrats to you. I can't wait to graduate.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 2:40pm     #12
Light474 is offline
Light474
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Light474's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 11,742
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton View Post
I have some great classes where I am. They have Cryptozoology classes and the history of witchcraft and religion, etc. I am doing Archeology of Death, Anthropology and Media (how governments control their people through media), and Archeology. I have a double Minor in Archeology and Psychology. My Psych class this semeser is Psychology of Sexuality. Really looking forward to my classes this semester.
That sounds!!! Awesome. I wish they offered that when I got my anthropology degree.

The other poster was spot on with the answer.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 6:49pm     #13
covergerl is offline
covergerl
Master Sweeper
 
covergerl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,151
Location: NY
I have my degree in anthro as well. Even if you don't pursue a career in the field, it still yields far better results than say a communications or lib. arts degree.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
Marilyn Monroe
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 22nd, 2009, 7:05pm     #14
coljim is offline
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper
 
coljim's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,300
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Spring View Post
Really? I thought it would be any easy A class but I'm absolutely bored to tears by it.
I think it is probably 100% the teacher. I had anthropolgy that put me to sleep but other teachers have the ability to convey the excitement of their subjects. Any subject from mathematics to anatomy/physiology.

I VOTED
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:54am.