Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:17pm     #1
sarcastic
Grand Master Sweeper

Direct Buy
Is anyone here a member?
Debating whether or not we should do this, and thought I would get some feedback from others who are members. Would you say its worth it? Is there a huge price difference? Anyone recall the cost?

Thanks

I'm living in a drama-free bubble today. Respect the bubble, people! Respect it!
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:25pm     #2
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

I heard that they are sadisitic and try to force you into begging other people to join up. Unless I'm getting them mixed up with another company.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:29pm     #3
sarcastic
Grand Master Sweeper

Really? Wow...will have to do some homework then. Hope others chime in that maybe a member and tell us.,.that would be of course pretty messed up if that is true

thanks for that

I did have a gal years ago that I worked with be a member, I wasnt at all interested, but thought I recalled her saying that they bought everything for their new home through them and saved thousands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
I heard that they are sadisitic and try to force you into begging other people to join up. Unless I'm getting them mixed up with another company.

I'm living in a drama-free bubble today. Respect the bubble, people! Respect it!
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:31pm     #4
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Wish I could be more help to know if its true or not, I don't know of anyone that is a member. Do you have to pay a membership to join it?

Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:32pm     #5
theclynn
Master Sweeper

I'd stay away. Here's another thread on the subject.

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=719355&highlight=directbuy

I used to answer the phone calls for this place to send out the passes. They would not give us any information because they want to do a hard sale when they have the people trapped inside.
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:33pm     #6
sarcastic
Grand Master Sweeper

Yes, it is a membership fee and then you are able to shop from catalogs (or stores). Supposidly, the price of the furniture and appliances are so much more cheap through the membership that it makes the cosst of the membership worth it. At least that is how I remember the coworker explaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
Wish I could be more help to know if its true or not, I don't know of anyone that is a member. Do you have to pay a membership to join it?

Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:33pm     #7
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Here ya go, must have heard it here.

http://edumacation.com/DirectBuyComplaintStation26963

Previous thread started about it:

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...ght=Direct+Buy

Old  May 26th, 2009, 1:52pm     #8
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Consumer Reports investigated wholesale shopping club "Direct Buy." to see if the deals lived up to the commercials. They were unimpressed. For those of you who haven't been subjected to Direct Buy's frequent and annoying commercials, the club is marketed as a store with no mark-ups, then Direct Buy cues the parade of McMansion owners who claim to have saved some ridiculous number like $80,000 on kitchen cabinets alone. (That they made kitchen cabinets that cost more than $80,000 was something we didn't know. If it's not in the IKEA catalog it doesn't exist.) Anyhow, Consumer Reports says:
To evaluate the pitch, we went undercover at two DirectBuy franchises in New York. Both gave us the same hard sell and offers of up to 70 percent off retail prices if we were to join. Only after an hour and a half of sales pitches and video testimonials from members did we learn the membership fee: $4,900 to $4,990 (plus tax) for three years and then $190 a year for seven more. Financing is available at 17.75 percent. After the fee disclosure, we discovered that we had to sign up on the spot or never come back. We couldn't bring DirectBuy's "confidential" prices elsewhere to comparison shop, the representatives said, because this would likely anger retailers who might then retaliate against the manufacturers by refusing to sell their merchandise.

The fine print in the DirectBuy contract says you cannot return items, cancel orders, or terminate your membership. When we asked if, after plunking down $5,000, we could cancel and get a refund, a salesperson said, "You'll have to check state law." A review of New York state law revealed that the three-day cooling-off period for canceling contracts wouldn't apply in this case.

Tacked onto the cost of merchandise—which you select from catalogs since DirectBuy has limited showrooms—are a 6 percent handling fee, shipping fees, and tax. Goods are typically shipped only to your local center, so you might pay additional fees to actually get your new stuff home.

So were the prices good? Consumer Reports didn't think so. They found cheaper prices on-line in a few cases. Ultimately, they concluded that Direct Buy's lack of transparency made it difficult to evaluate whether it was a good deal or not. Which leads us to conclude that for the vast majority of consumers it probably isn't.

http://consumerist.com/299986/direct...y-5000-to-save

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 2:29pm     #9
sarcastic
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanks everyone ! Will read up on all the info you gave

Old  May 26th, 2009, 2:54pm     #10
francisfam1
Master Sweeper

We went their a couple yrs ago because they mailed us a key and you schedule a time and go visit their showroom and then try your key in the door and see what you win kinda thing. Well it was very hard selling. We went with the mind frame we will not sign up. Well we did sign up. I believe it was about 4,000.00 or something. You have to put money down. They said if we left the showroom and came back that we would not be able to sign up. They don't want you too be able to see their prices and check to see if they are a really good deal.

Well we had plans on needing all new appliances and a swing set. Yes they have those items and they may be cheaper than the stores but the only problem is they only offer the very HIGH END items. They have everything their but only the best. So their stuff was still way too expensive.

I guess it just depends what you are looking for. Do you only buy high end items? If so then it will save you money. If not then the stuff is probably too expensive for you.

To keep up your membership it is 100 or 200 a year I believe.

Also if you do sign up with them then when you order stuff from them you have to I believe go to a show room and load and pick it up yourself. Once you have it on your truck their is NO warranty. You have to check the item before you leave. I remember that pretty clearly.

I really was very unhappy. I ended up letting this go into collections. Their bill collectors are awful to.
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 6:45pm     #11
sabinennc
Master Sweeper

http://ripoffreport.com/searchresult...submit2=Search!

Here are a bunch of complaints on ripoffreport.com about them

My Wins
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 6:50pm     #12
EllaBarns
Senior Master Sweeper

I have heard a lot of terrible things. Stay away!
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 6:58pm     #13
ehavenchk
Master Sweeper

Yeah, I'd stay away too. Have never heard anything good about this company. I think you're better off just doing the legwork and shopping around elsewhere with the freedom to choose what you want. Just the thought of being stuck in a room with hard core sales people breathing down my neck makes me cringe.
  Old  May 26th, 2009, 7:14pm     #14
sarcastic
Grand Master Sweeper

wow..thanks everyone

Old  May 26th, 2009, 8:44pm     #15
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastic View Post
Yes, it is a membership fee and then you are able to shop from catalogs (or stores). Supposidly, the price of the furniture and appliances are so much more cheap through the membership that it makes the cosst of the membership worth it. At least that is how I remember the coworker explaining it.
We were members, here's the deal. When you buy a couch at Furniture World, they have paid the shipping and handling to get the merchandise to the store. When you buy the same couch at Direct Buy you get a much better deal on the couch and pay out the butt for the shipping/freight and handling. It is NOT a good deal.

We were stupid, didn't do our homework. Thank goodness you and others have because it is a total ripoff.