Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:23pm     #1
msbabedoll
Master Sweeper

How Long can you draw unemployment?
I got laid off from my job the middle of December. How long can you draw unemployment. I have read 26 weeks, but what if I have not found a job by then? Do I got file for unemployment benefits again? I worked ever since I was 17 so I am sure I paid in plenty. Just wondered.
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:29pm     #2
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

My dh lost his job in Dec. 2007.

First we collected 26 weeks.

Then they added another 13 weeks.

Then they added another 7 weeks.

So basically it was a year.

The stimulus bill will add another extension on to U.I., if it is passed and if your state signs on.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:32pm     #3
msbabedoll
Master Sweeper

Thanks I was wondering. I havne't drawn unemployment but a few times, there are virtually NO jobs around here. I think I am going to talk to them about the TAA benefits. I may go back to school and learn some IT stuff.
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:33pm     #4
bbking
Master Sweeper

I have drawn two 13 week periods from my quarters paid in and now am on an extention for 13 weeks and after that there should be another 13 week extention...but unless something happens within this week no one in Mo will have unemployment..the states is broke...sigh.

Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:36pm     #5
cindy711
Senior Sweeper

just started my unemployment and it came out to about a year (including 2 extentions) I hope I don't have to use them! Same problem here, no jobs and the state unemployment fund is broke. Makes sense, I have never filed for unemployment in my life and there is no money!

~Cindy
My 2009 wins MyWins 07', 08'
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:37pm     #6
msbabedoll
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking View Post
I have drawn two 13 week periods from my quarters paid in and now am on an extention for 13 weeks and after that there should be another 13 week extention...but unless something happens within this week no one in Mo will have unemployment..the states is broke...sigh.
WOW, what is this country going to do? I sure Obama pulls us out, I know it's going to take a long time, but we are all in a mess! I pray my DH doen not loose his job, right now with him working we are doing okay, but if he looses his, we are up a creek without a paddle!
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:37pm     #7
Secret1
Master Sweeper

What happens if you use all your money up. I am on unemployment now been on it since beginning of Nov, I only have like 1700 left which is less than 8 weeks. Do they extend it and give you more or once you use up the money you have in there? Is that is all you get?

btw, I have never had to file for unemployment before and had worked atleast 15 years straight. When I started my claim it said I only had about $5800 that I could claim.
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 2:57pm     #8
catbird
Sweeper

When you get an extension they replenish the money for the number of weeks times what you're currently getting. So if someone was getting $100 a week their first pot of money is $2600 for the first 26 weeks. The first extension is for 13 weeks so if someone hits that point they have $1300 added to the pot. The second extension is for 7 weeks, but if you're in a state with an unemployment rate higher than 6% it's 13 weeks, so that next pot of money would be either $700 or $1300.

Most states have a student exemption if you're a full-time student. This allows someone to draw unemployment without having the job search requirement. There's also a federal program called WIA (Workforce Initiative something-that-starts-with-an-A) which will cover the cost of tuition, fees, and books for people going to school or training so they will be more marketable. I don't know much about it except that there's a dollar limit on what they'll pay and they only cover high-need training, such as health care or computers. In this state it's at the same place as the unemployment office.
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 3:06pm     #9
b5fan
Master Sweeper

Unfortunately, several states are running out of money for unemployment. The stimulus package is supposed to help that, if it ever gets passes.
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 3:11pm     #10
jenssequa
Master Sweeper

Cool U.S. Census
Oregon is up to about 10% unemployment. I have gotten a lot of interviews but no job yet (Been laid off since November).

The biggest boost to the national economy is going to be the U.S. Census. They are taking applications in every state and hiring should begin this month.

I would encourage people to register for this because it is a "quick fix" for unemployment. I had to take a civil service exam last month to qualify for it which I passed with a 95%.

Good luck to all job seekers!! I am in the same boat.

Fairy Dust to all!!
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 3:16pm     #11
remoseley
Master Sweeper

don't forget you can also apply for food stamps too.
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 3:19pm     #12
catbird
Sweeper

The US census is a great idea, although it's part-time and temporary. Here's the link:

http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/index.php
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 11:46pm     #13
MonCherie
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird View Post
The US census is a great idea, although it's part-time and temporary. Here's the link:

http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/index.php
If you are up for an extension for UI- then a temp job will blow you out. Make sure it's worth your while to do so.

Love Amazon Gift Cards? YOU win when I search!http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?RefBy=PattiD
  Old  February 10th, 2009, 2:36am     #14
funnyj3llo
Senior Sweeper

Good to know.

I was laid off in Dec 2008 and only have about 10 weeks left. They only gave me 20 weeks, rather than 26 to start.

I hope I'll be able to get an extension....well actually, I hope I'll find a job by then and not need to extend. But there aren't any jobs to be had.

In my two months off I've applied for about 40-50 jobs and have only gotten two actual interviews and a handful of 'thanks, but no thanks' letters.

Good luck job hunters!

-Annette
My Super Duper Fantabulous Wins!

Annette Funnyjello
  Old  February 10th, 2009, 10:21am     #15
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper

The govt is hiring thousands of border agents--really---I heard it on the news!