Old  June 11th, 2008, 10:38pm     #1
contestant
Junior Sweeper

Don Jagoda Caress Contest Judging a Scam?
Just wanted some feedback, Don Jagoda and Associates is running a contest for Unilever and Caress. The selection process seems to have been anything but on the up and up. The highest rated videos in the contest were totally ignored for the finals. One of the judges selections had only 4 views with 0 votes and yet it made it into the top 25.

Anyone who posted questions on the site concerning the fairness of the selection process and pointing out these oddities have been blocked from making additional comments.

In the contest rules, they say all runners up and finalists will be contacted by email or phone for their prizes. None of the prize winners have been notified and it's been over two weeks.

The rules also state the prizes may be changed or substituted at any time.

This contest has a real unethical scammy feel to it.

There has to be an agency that oversees the ethical conduct of these companies, to assure the judging is fair and that the prizes are awarded as promised.

Which agencies would one make complaints too?

The contest in question is at http://www.caressbrazilian.msn.com

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by contestant; June 11th, 2008 at 10:51pm. Reason: bad link
  Old  June 11th, 2008, 11:15pm     #2
realaud
Master Sweeper

since the viewer voting only counts for 10% of the score and the judges have their own criteria/esthetic, it is very possible that the highest rated videos don't make the cut. Just because the voters may like a video, doesn't mean it conveys the ideas the contest is meant to highlight.

Quote:
Judging:
All Entries will be judged on or about May 26, 2008 under the supervision of an independent judging organization, based on the following criteria: Originality and Creativity (20%); Communication of Caress Brazilian Body Wash idea and spirit (40%); and Overall Appeal (40%), to determine 25 Semi-Finalists and 5 Finalists. The five Finalists’ videos will then be posted on the Contest Website to be viewed by the general public who will be asked to vote for the Entry they like the best and believe should win the Grand Prize. Sponsor will then combine their previous judging score (based on the above criteria) with the public vote for the top 5 Finalists. The community vote will determine 10% of Finalist’s final score and Sponsor’s judging score will determine 90% of Finalist’s final score. The Entry with the top overall score will win the Grand Prize. In the event of a tie during the judges’ phase or after the entrants’ scores have been tabulated, tied entries will be rejudged by the judges based solely on Communication of Caress Brazilian Body Wash idea and spirit. Judges’ decisions are final with respect to all matters relating to the Contest. By participating, entrants agree to the Official Rules and the decisions of the Judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 12:20am     #3
contestant
Junior Sweeper

The theme of the contest was the Enchantment of Brazil with Caress. The finalists (especially one) as witnessed by the overwhelming number of replies did not meet that criteria. There is also the very real possibility one of the contestants was stuffing their own ballot box. There is definetly something wrong with that contest. Don Jagoda and Associates will not answer anyones questions regarding the ethical conduct of the contestants or the selection process.

Once again what agency would oversee this type of contest judging to assure everything was done ethically and honestly? There has to be some over riding control to make sure these contests are not awarded to friends or family of the judges. Who are the judges? What criteria do the judges have to meet to be a judge. How many judges are there? Is the judging panel balanced in gender and racially?

Way to many questions left unanswered with opportunities for abuse by the contest companies. These companies have to be overlooked by a regulating commission and policies examined to be sure the public is being treated fairly. If this is not in place already then it is probably way overdue. People should be contacting their congressmen to instill this type of legislation for their protection.

You would have a hard time convincing me that there is not fraud to some extent with these companies especially when they operate behind their veil of secrecy and inability to address obvious concerns.

Last edited by contestant; June 12th, 2008 at 12:24am. Reason: sp
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 8:05am     #4
joolzie
Master Sweeper

You could contact the office of the Attorney General in your state.

I'd like to note, though, Don Jagoda is a well-known and respected administrator. The judging criteria is set out clearly in the rules and as far as I can see, all of the finalist videos are well within the range of that--though my personal taste may not be reflected by all of them. It's kind of like how many people may disagree with the outcome of a reality show.

Best of luck to you getting the type of resolution you're looking for.
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 8:19am     #5
realaud
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by contestant View Post
There is also the very real possibility one of the contestants was stuffing their own ballot box.
That is why the popular vote is a small percentage of the criteria.

Quote:
There is definetly something wrong with that contest. Don Jagoda and Associates will not answer anyones questions regarding the ethical conduct of the contestants or the selection process.
Were the inquiries made publicly on the website as viewer comments, or was the JA queried via email? They explain their selection process in the rules, just because you don't agree with their decision doesn't make it wrong.

Quote:
Once again what agency would oversee this type of contest judging to assure everything was done ethically and honestly?
That would be your state's attorney general and/or the attorney general in the state where the contest originated.

Quote:
There has to be some over riding control to make sure these contests are not awarded to friends or family of the judges. Who are the judges? What criteria do the judges have to meet to be a judge. How many judges are there? Is the judging panel balanced in gender and racially?
Have you contacted the SPONSOR with your concerns? Why would you be so sure that they are awarding prizes to friends and family? Just because you didn't make the finals? Contests of this nature are purely subjective and the criteria is clearly stated in the rules. Just because you don't think some of the criteria were met, doesn't make it so. Judges probably don't have to have any special qualifications, execept to know what the sponsor wants.

Quote:
Way to many questions left unanswered with opportunities for abuse by the contest companies. These companies have to be overlooked by a regulating commission and policies examined to be sure the public is being treated fairly. If this is not in place already then it is probably way overdue. People should be contacting their congressmen to instill this type of legislation for their protection.
There already is protective legislation and these things, as stated above, are the pervue of your attorney general. If you have a complaint, lodge it there.

Quote:
You would have a hard time convincing me that there is not fraud to some extent with these companies especially when they operate behind their veil of secrecy and inability to address obvious concerns.
You really sound like a sore loser. Perhaps you shouldn't be entering contests of this nature if you feel so strongly that they are rampant with fraud.
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 9:57am     #6
jennem
Grand Master Sweeper

Looks like the viewer's votes only count after the finalists have been selected--towards which of the 25 finalists become winners--and then only 10%. You're complaining about which of the 25 were selected to be finalists...according to the rules, there is NO voting that affects that choice. It's 100% up to DJ.

Two weeks to notify winners, is in no way a long time. I've been notified of a win, or finalist status, 6 months after the stated drawing date.

DJ is a very respected agency and from your description and the website, I can see nothing in their decisions so far that violates the rules in any way, shape, or form.

The odor of sour grapes is in the air...
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 10:14am     #7
tasslehoff
Senior Master Sweeper

I like it much better when the JA decides who the finalist are instead of by popular vote. All voting contest are unfair. The best rarely wins. Its all about how many people you know, or how well you can cheat. Just because someone can ask for and get 1000 votes doesnt mean their submission is the best.
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 1:11pm     #8
Stagemother
Master Sweeper

Don Jagoda is one of the fairest, most meticulous JAs out there. They are very strict about the entries they allow and enforce their rules scrupulously. IMO, one always knows where one stands with a Don Jagoda sweep, and I'll enter theirs with no qualms whatsoever while passing on the Caffeines and the mom-and-pops whose rules and administration are iffy at best.

I believe that if you have a legitimate concern about something they've adjudicated, they will work to resolve it in good faith. Be courteous and professional and assume they are acting with integrity.

GLTA, OLSers!
  Old  June 12th, 2008, 8:46pm     #9
concerned
Junior Sweeper

As far as I can see the sponsor has not made any attempt to provide answers to the concerns brought up.

There is always room for mistakes and wrong doings no matter what business or corporation it is. This contest may be on the up and up. It probably wouldn't hurt to have this particular situation investigated or audited especially if they are unwilling to provide any answers.

Many others including myself have wondered who these judging panels are. How the judges are acquired, trained etc.

I would think two weeks would be more than adequate to award prizes. I have read elsewhere on here where sweepstakes prize winners were notified of winnings with a reply date that was not reasonable to comply with.
  Old  June 13th, 2008, 10:50pm     #10
Funlover
Junior Sweeper

I have been following this contest and it has taken a turn for the worse. I agree something is bad wrong with the way this thing has progressed. From the postings, the judging, the illegal voting, comments etc. I have never seen anything like it before.

One of the finalists are making redundant comments on their competitors videos calling them fat, ugly etc. Most likely under numerous aliases. I think these are the same people who were called for stuffing the ballot box. It's obvious people will do anything to win a trip.

Caress seems comfortable with the bad press as they seem to condone the name calling and questionable antics of this contest as related to their product.

Obviously there is room for mistakes in sweepstakes. Does anyone recall the Mcscandal?
  Old  June 15th, 2008, 2:31pm     #11
tricia
Master Sweeper

contestant
concerned
and FunLover
joined OLS the same day they posted in this thread.

So did you 3 join OLS just to post in this thread?
  Old  June 15th, 2008, 2:46pm     #12
KChele
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia View Post
contestant
concerned
and FunLover
joined OLS the same day they posted in this thread.

So did you 3 join OLS just to post in this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funlover View Post

Most likely under numerous aliases.
  Old  June 15th, 2008, 10:36pm     #13
contestant
Junior Sweeper

Can't vouch for the other two, but if you google caress contest this thread is at the top of the list so it's pretty easy to understand why there are new people commenting on this issue.

Just reading the negative comments from the majority of people on that site is enough to make you wonder what is going on.

I assure you there are many many people out there wondering why Caress and Unilever allowed this contest to degenerate to the point it has. The continued accusations of fraud by many and not just a few should raise some eyebrows.

We have contacted the State Attorneys Generals Office and they have forwarded us a form to be filled out and returned which we plan to do so. I encourage anyone who feels this contest was run unethically or unlawfully to do the same.

Also, how does anyone here know that representatives of Caress or Jagoda hasn't made comments themselves under aliases for their benefit. Works both ways.
  Old  June 16th, 2008, 1:07am     #14
joolzie
Master Sweeper

Please let us know how it goes!
  Old  June 16th, 2008, 1:31am     #15
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by contestant View Post
This contest has a real unethical scammy feel to it.
Which one of you three are posting google search caress scam comments in all the finalists entries?
Everyone thinks their entry is the best. The judging agency did nothing either unfair or illegal, IMO.

By the way, Unilever (the parent company of Caress) is a HUGE international company. I doubt a lawsuit will get you anywhere but perhaps in your pocketbook paying for court costs for a frivolous lawsiut