Old  April 21st, 2008, 4:24pm     #1
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Angry BizRate Scam: A Costly One!! BEWARE
I just found fradulent charges on my credit card for several magazines I did not order:
Coastal Living
Cosmo Girl
Better HOmes and Gardens
Entertainment Weekly

totalling over $100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are commonly coded by TWX*Magazine Order, although they have different phone numbers. They all come out of NY, ON (Ontario, I assume)

You call one number and it is automated and starts out with the assumption that you are challenging the charge. Took me 15 minutes to get through the prompts to cancel and request my refund.

Enough of that %##%&*. The next one I Kept stating "customer service" for 15 minutes and finally confused the system enough to get me through to a person.

She stated I ordered the magazines through Bizrate. I recall entering a Bizrate feedback contest when I place an online order recently. I can;t yet recall who I ordered with...that'll come next.

I'm pissed as HeLL!
They messed with the wrong woman.

So I can't find a number for Bizrate. Fine then, I'm going to the top.

I know Bizrate is owned by Scripps Media. So I go to their privacy page and get the number for their legal contact.

M. Denise Kuprionis
Vice President/Corporate Secretary and Director of Legal Affairs
The E. W. Scripps Company
P. O. Box 5380
Cincinnati, Ohio 45201-5380

I"m not messing around. Ms. Kuprionis actually answered the phone and I let her know my concerns. Regardless if I missed a page of opt-outs for magazine offers, I want to know how the HELL Bizrate has my credit card info!

The woman she directed me to speak with was not at her desk. She gave me her name, took my number and said that she would be calling me back. I have no qualms calling her back daily, if I don't receive that call.

If it's from Amazon, I'm done there. And they will also hear from me. The messed with the wrong chica!!

Just warning you off of Bizrate until I get the scoop on how the heck this happens.

To be continued...

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  April 22nd, 2008, 11:09am     #2
BeautifulPromise2621
Master Sweeper

Whoa, that's scary. O_o I never enter those surveys just because they are a pain in the butt, but now I *never* will. That's creepy. Keep us updated.
  Old  April 22nd, 2008, 12:00pm     #3
BentonWesley
Gone Camping

Please do keep us posted on this.
  Old  April 22nd, 2008, 12:49pm     #4
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Okay....

I received a call from a young lady who is the senior manager of direct marketing of Shopzilla.
I explained the situation and took my email and copied me on a request to someone at Synapse to look into it.

When I have some more time later, I'll post some complicated info on the relationship between these large media outlets and the "affiliates" they work with. It cracks me up that they distance their relationship in situations like these.

This woman asked them to look into any and all files with all of my identifying information...EXCEPT my credit card. The magazine subscription numbers I called earlier off my card statement actually had the nerve to ask for my credit card number to make sure there weren't any other files "miss-spelled". NOT!

The woman i spoke with yesterday seemed surprised, and certainly understood my insistence that was not going to happen!

So, so far the tally of connecting "affiliates" includes TWZ*Magazine (which appears to be a branch of Synapse), BizRate and ShopZilla

TWZ*Magazine has also been known as NSS Magazines in the past.

All or owned or "afflilated" with Scripps. I also think with Time, INC.

Anyways.....if you google Synapse, or BizRate +magazines, or NSS Magazines you will find this is happening to alot of people. I truly do not recall giving my credit card info. I usually decline "free" offers.
I am waiting for her reply on the specifics of how this happened.

It is possible I may have signed for a "free" subscription in the past that might have had a $1-$2 processing fee (where I would have had to give my CC #), but I truly do not recall doing this, and generally as a rule don't...I know better...

We shall see...regardless, if I had, I read the fine print and would never agree to rotating into a paid subscription without the opportunity to decline at that time. I have recieved no notification of a free subscription expiring.

Quite honestly, I think the mags where free in exchange for survey points off of ERewards, although they do not allow me to access my records back far enough to know for sure. So don't hold me to it....

The mystery continues....

Updates later....

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  April 24th, 2008, 9:06pm     #5
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Resolution:

I do have to give thanks to a young woman at Shopzilla, who was given my info and resolved the matter to my satisfaction.

To make a long story short, Synapse is the company that handles these offers for BizRate and ShopZilla. They in turn, turn the fullfillment over to various magazine outlets like TWZ or NSS Magazines.

They state that I took an offer for 4 magazines free for a year in April, 2007. And that I entered my CC# to cover the $2 shipping/handling fee for two of them. The other two were noted with a different offer code.

I have no recollection of this, and as I've said before, I certainly am into the "fine print" and would have declined upon reading that "automatic renewal" was involved.

The details forwarded from Synapse prove nothing except noting a date and an offer code. So there was no compelling evidence except for their word.

Regardless, I should have received cancellation postcards to notify of the charges starting, and I know for a fact I did not.

Refunds should be in my next bank statement...I'll be checking online...

So..........use caution in these offers because nothing is for "free"...

(except sweep wins, of course!!)