Old  January 18th, 2008, 7:54pm     #1
debee2000
Senior Sweeper

After sending Resume, do I follow-up with a Call?
OK, I have sent over 20 resumes, via mail, email and faxes. This I started january 4th. I have only gotten one interview and probably not the job (cause she said she would know by the end of this week and here it is almost 8pm on a Friday night).

I can't decide if I should follow-up with a call to check up on interviews? And if so, how would you do that? Its half and half from what I see online, whether it helps to call and check on status of the position.

Please help, I'm so need to get out of this house and get to know others (can u tell I am lonely!)

btw, my background is admin. assistant/customer service, accounting

thanks!

Debbie in SC
  Old  January 18th, 2008, 9:03pm     #2
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

Personally I wouldn't, my thought is if they were interested in me, they would have called.

I will tell you that I have gotten more than one job by going to the place of business and asking for the HR representative and then handing them my resume. Twice that I have done this, I have landed an immediate interview and was hired for both jobs on the spot. Heck one of them I started that same day following my interview.

As you slide down the banister of life, may
the splinters never point the wrong way.
  Old  January 18th, 2008, 9:13pm     #3
nettester
Master Sweeper

I'm in HR/staffing, and I say, YES, do call and follow up! Employers want to hire people who are sincerely interested in their position. You will be a stand out, and show that you have good follow up skills if you take that extra step to call. Tell them confidently that you have sent your resume, are following up to say that you are most interested, and would very much like the opportunity to interview. Many people send out hundreds of resumes, but there is no personal touch or follow up. My pet peeve is when I call someone to prescreen or schedule an interview, and they have NO memory of applying for my position. You want the employer to feel their position is your top target.

Also, my favorite resumes are sent with a short email, an informal, personal introduction. Personally, I don't care for the long, formal and very generic "insert name of my company here" cover letters that so obviously meant to cover someone applying for 50 different positions.

Good luck!
  Old  January 18th, 2008, 9:41pm     #4
nekkidfish
Master Sweeper

Always follow up, as the previous poster said!!

Sometimes people do get busy, and although they say they're going to make a decision by such-and-such date, it often gets put aside and doesn't happen until later.

A short email or phone call will let them know you are interested enough to follow up with them and check on the status.

HUGz and GL! Jules

Today is the day to live! Yesterday is gone, and I cannot change it. Tomorrow is not yet here, nor do I know if it will come.

Therefore, let me make the most of today.
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 8:02am     #5
Lvrofbooks
Master Sweeper

And if you do get an interview, send a thank you note afterward. I can't tell you how many times this landed me a job. Good luck!

“Human beings, like plants, grow in the soil of acceptance, not in the atmosphere of rejection” - John Powell
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 9:28am     #6
psipsina
Senior Master Sweeper

I agree with ALWAYS FOLLOW UP! It shows that your interested and that yout take initiative. Don't be pushy or needy, just be professional and express your interest. Even when applying for medical school we were told to write letters of interest/intention after our interviews or if we haven't gotten an interview (its a yearlong process before you're accepted sometimes) to show the school how interested you are in them. I can think of multiple times where making a follow up call has gotten me a job.

Psipsina's Wins!
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 10:18am     #7
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txsweeper View Post
I have gotten more than one job by going to the place of business and asking for the HR representative and then handing them my resume. Twice that I have done this, I have landed an immediate interview and was hired for both jobs on the spot. Heck one of them I started that same day following my interview.

Can I ask what type of businesses these were, and what types of jobs you were able to get this way?

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 10:21am     #8
positivelift
Senior Master Sweeper

I would most definitely follow-up with a phone call.

When I was applying for the job at the Creamery, I submitted the application and then called the woman who told me about it. (wife's relative)

It just so happened that the Vice President was talking with her when I called, so she set-up the interview with the VP right then and there while I was on the phone.

When I walked in for my "interview", I found that I was basically already hired. The interview consisted of him pulling out his wallet and showing me all of his family's insurance cards and giving me a tour of the plant. He bragged about how the company paid for insurance for all of my family members, provided dental, and eye care too.

Granted this is not usually how it works with most companies, but my follow-up call opened the door immediately following the submission of my application

Rob's 2014 wins
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 4:13pm     #9
debee2000
Senior Sweeper

Yes, I always send out a thank you note in the mail the same day of the interview.

But I guess on Monday I will start looking-up phone numbers of businesses and start calling on Tuesday. Its Martin Luther King day Monday so I don't think too many businesses will be open down here in the South.

SO with the follow-up, I just ask if they did receive my resume and ask if they are setting up interviews now? or do I be brash and ask when is a good time to come in for an interview?

Debbie in SC
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 7:33pm     #10
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by annulla View Post
Can I ask what type of businesses these were, and what types of jobs you were able to get this way?
Sure, the first one I went to an insurance company who were advertising for a clerical helper. I had never worked in insurance so I was sure that they would probably just trash my resume since I had no experience, so I looked up their address and walked to the front desk and asked for the HR Rep. The receptionist told me she was in a meeting but would take my resume. I, as friendly as possible, told her I would rather wait and speak to her if that was alright and she agreed. I sat and waited over an hour, when the meeting was over the manager walked out with a group of people and the receptionist stopped her and told her I was waiting to speak to her. She immediately took me back into the same room they just conducted a meeting in, we talked for about 30 minutes, she took me into the owners office where we visited and the owner asked me if they hired me when could I begin work. I told her I had nothing else to do that day and would be glad to get right to work. LOL They were thrilled, within years I was the manager of that same department.

Moved to Dallas and after a few years of working for one insurance company I saw an ad for another company across town. I printed my resume and walked into the office and asked for the HR Representative. I was able to see her immediately and was offered the job. Gave two weeks notice at my other job and started my new one.

I think a person who takes the initiative to get up, get dressed and present themselves in person shows a "I really want to work" attitude. I don't know that you will always succeed at seeing someone and may have to drop of your application, but both times I have done it, it worked wonders.

As you slide down the banister of life, may
the splinters never point the wrong way.
  Old  January 19th, 2008, 7:44pm     #11
covergerl
Master Sweeper

Some places have a strict "do not call" policy, while others might be more welcoming. It varies.

Personally, I never call after submitting a resume, since it's assumed they will call you if they are interested.

January is traditionally a tough time to job hunt since a lot of people resolve to get a job or new job with the New Year.

You might try an employment agency, I have friends here who work as receptionists, or executive assistants who landed great jobs through an agency.
  Old  January 20th, 2008, 1:07am     #12
IplaymyGuitar
Master Sweeper

you should send a thank you letter within 24 hours of the interview.

and following up with a phone call will only let them know how interested you are!

Old  January 22nd, 2008, 1:50pm     #13
husseeeeee
Senior Sweeper

Honestly - I never get calls off blind resume submissions and then I realized that every job I've gotten has been because I knew someone. Here's some advice outside the norm - send an email to everybody on God's green earth that you know (outside your current job) and tell them what you're looking for and attach your resume. Ask them to forward it on to anybody they know and see what happens.

I did that a couple weeks ago and am in process for the perfect job for me - I've had 3 interviews and am still in the running!

The person that got me in works there and is the sister-in-law of a good friend of mine - and she just happened to send it to someone at her place and they sent it to their HR person and now I'm in the door!

Getting someone inside to help you is the best way to get a new job!

Good luck to both of us!
Heather