Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:33am     #1
cnm616
Senior Sweeper

Help Please!!! My prize was "stolen"!
EDIT 11/1/07 - hopefully final update in Post 209!!!

I need advice.

About 2 weeks ago, i won a $995 watch from a local NY sweep - from WCBS. When they first called to tell me that I had won, she said the watch was only $200. So i pointed out the rules to her and said the rules clearly state ARV $995. She called back later and said, "My mistake, i didn't know the value, I checked with the manufacturer and it is indeed worth that much."
Today I called her to check the status of it, and she says, "Oh, i was going to call you today...we have a problem, the watch was stolen".
I said, ok, what are my options now?
She said she can offer me a signed Derek Jeter Baseball (checked out the going prices - they are worth $500 -$600), or gift cards to restaurants in Manhatten
I asked her if there was a cash alternative and she laughed and said no.
I told her neither of those prizes compare to a $1000 watch. She said she will have to have a meeting with her boss and call me back.

What do you think should be my options? Do you think what they are offering me is fair???
I am so upset about this!!! Please help!!!

It was from this sweep:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...ighlight=swiss

[B]EDIT[/b]
UPDATE AND RESOLVE IN POST #79!!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE IN POST #116!!!! AND ITS NOT GOOD!!

Last edited by cnm616; November 1st, 2007 at 8:44am.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:40am     #2
orangebuddy
Senior Sweeper

How does a $1000 in food coupons not match to a $1000 watch? I'd take the coupons anyday.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:41am     #3
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Sounds like they will try to work out something with you, so that is good

If it were me, I would be happy with a prize worth $599 or thereabouts, so that I would not have to, cough, cough, you know....

Good Luck, I hope it works out with something that makes you happy....hey, maybe they will find the watch...how in the world did that happen anyhow, lol.

Take care

Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:42am     #4
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebuddy
How does a $1000 in food coupons not match to a $1000 watch? I'd take the coupons anyday.
Yeah, that would be a nice prize, actually and they don't expire, too, so that is good, too.

Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:43am     #5
cnm616
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
I would if i lived in Manhatten. But i live in New Jersey. And she said she can give me a "couple of hundred" in gift cards. Sorry, i guess i should have wrote that.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:47am     #6
swankygirl
Senior Master Sweeper

Be sure to let us know what happens after her meeting with her boss. Best of luck to you and sending you good vibes!!
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:48am     #7
ROSIE203
Senior Master Sweeper

[quote=cnm616]I need advice.

About 2 weeks ago, i won a $995 watch from a local NY sweep - from WCBS. When they first called to tell me that I had won, she said the watch was only $200. So i pointed out the rules to her and said the rules clearly state ARV $995. She called back later and said, "My mistake, i didn't know the value, I checked with the manufacturer and it is indeed worth that much."
Today I called her to check the status of it, and she says, "Oh, i was going to call you today...we have a problem, the watch was stolen".
I said, ok, what are my options now?
She said she can offer me a signed Derek Jeter Baseball (checked out the going prices - they are worth $500 -$600), or gift cards to restaurants in Manhatten
I asked her if there was a cash alternative and she laughed and said no.
I told her neither of those prizes compare to a $1000 watch. She said she will have to have a meeting with her boss and call me back.

What do you think should be my options? Do you think what they are offering me is fair???
I am so upset about this!!! Please help!!!

It was from this sweep:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...ighlight=swiss[/QUOT
tell them you will take the baseball and gift cards and call it a day
most prizes aren't really close to the retail value anyway
GOOD LUCK!!
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:55am     #8
gfafan72
Master Sweeper

Good luck with the outcome... I would take the ball! It will be worth more in the future! Hope it works out

Old  October 12th, 2007, 9:56am     #9
Tonysopranogirl
Grand Master Sweeper

I think number one wait and hear what the boss has to say.
Number two I would not cave so easily .....BECAUSE this girl doesn't sound on the up and up. I think she took the darn watch if you ask me.
You won a prize I didn't read the rules but does it say equal to or greater value for the substitue.
I know you were so excited about this win. Wait and see and don't cave.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 10:03am     #10
InkyPrincess
Master Sweeper

They were giving away 26 of those watches. Did they lose all of them?
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 10:04am     #11
xeroxdrucker
Master Sweeper

Quote:
I don't think she ever said she was offered $1000 in food coupons, she said, "she can offer me a signed Derek Jeter Baseball (checked out the going prices - they are worth $500 -$600), or gift cards to restaurants in Manhatten."

There was no mention as to how much she would get in food card/coupons.

If she's being offered a $500-$600 signed baseball or gift cards - then you can assume the gift cards probably total to $500-$600 but she isn't being offered both (unless I missed that).

If she were being offered a $1000.00 food card/coupon or both prizes (ball and card) then this wouldn't be an issue but she's being asked to select one of two prizes and they are both at least $400 less than her win.

I hope this has a happy ending for the OP.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 10:08am     #12
ThinLizzy
Grand Master Sweeper

I wonder if any of the other 25 weekly winners' watches were stolen? I guess you were lucky enough to be unlucky enough to win the last weekly drawing. If all the weekly prizes have been in the sponsor's possession since the start of the contest, there's no telling how long the watch has been missing.
Quote:
Prizes may not be substituted for or redeemed for cash, except that Sponsor may, at its sole discretion, substitute prizes of comparable value or cash.
The above quote is from the rules, and I don't think you should be expected to accept a $600 baseball instead of a $1,000 watch. That's a 40% loss on your part.

"Hall of Fame wins and Major Upgrades
come to those who wait."

Old  October 12th, 2007, 10:09am     #13
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyPrincess
They were giving away 26 of those watches. Did they lose all of them?
Not likely.
I'm sure they have some kind of insurance for loss, I would think "your" stolen watch should be replaced with the same item after they collect from their insurance.

As you slide down the banister of life, may
the splinters never point the wrong way.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 10:10am     #14
sandyk
Senior Master Sweeper

I would definitely ask what happened to the other 25 watches.

After she tells you all of the alternatives, if they are still just the ball or restaurant cards, I would tell her that you would take the ball IF you didn't have to fill out an affy for it. The difference between the watch and the ball (which will probably go up in value anyway) is probably close to what you would have had to pay in income tax on the watch. JMHO.
  Old  October 12th, 2007, 10:14am     #15
PicasPals
Master Sweeper

time to 'upgrade':
YOU need to talk to the supervisor; next contact, deal direct with the decision maker...maybe the supervisor doesn't know the watch is 'lost'; and also confirm the exact model of the win (NOT: trust me, this watch is worth $...) or what substitutions the minion is offering that don't equal the original prize's value...keep clicking to win