Old  September 29th, 2007, 11:06am     #1
tgibson3770
Junior Sweeper

How do they pick a winner?
Sorry if this question has already been archived. Guess I am too lazy to go back the past million pages to see.

My question is ....

How do they randomly draw out a winner from online entries?

I know if it was a mail in sweepstakes, someone would draw the card "out of the hat".

But I am wondering if it is better to submit entry form at beginning, under new sweepstakes, or near the end, under expiring sweepstakes as I am currently doing.

Also, how long did it take you to win your first win as a newbie?

Thanks!
  Old  September 29th, 2007, 11:12am     #2
jeepers
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm probably not the norm. I won just a couple days after I started. A Shrek Beach mat, but usually your first win takes months...
I put in sweeps at all different times of the day, of the month, etc. I have no set time. When the entry form is long or annoying, I wait til the last minute...lol
There are randomizers out there you can use if it's an online only. I do that for my MOC's.

As for drawing entries, I assume that we all get put in a barrel. they print all our entries out or they will put on online anyways. Not quite sure...
  Old  September 29th, 2007, 11:14am     #3
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

I always thought for these online sweeps, our entries have a 'number' assigned to them (1, 2, 3, etc) and then a randomizer program is plugged in to pick the number of winners that they have for the sweeps and boom, you have your winners. But that is just my thoughts, I really have no idea.

Old  September 29th, 2007, 11:15am     #4
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat
I'm probably not the norm. I won just a couple days after I started. A Shrek Beach mat, but usually your first win takes months...
I put in sweeps at all different times of the day, of the month, etc. I have no set time. When the entry form is long or annoying, I wait til the last minute...lol
There are randomizers out there you can use if it's an online only. I do that for my MOC's.

As for drawing entries, I assume that we all get put in a barrel. they print all our entries out or they will put on online anyways. Not quite sure...
Oh wow, I sure hope they do not print up an entry for all of the entries, what a waste of paper that would be.

Old  September 29th, 2007, 11:15am     #5
jeepers
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaygoPop
Oh wow, I sure hope they do not print up an entry for all of the entries, what a waste of paper that would be.
yeah, I assume they put us all online anyways...if it's like both online and snail together. That would be a waste of paper... not to mention time effort, etc.
  Old  September 29th, 2007, 11:17am     #6
jeepers
Grand Master Sweeper

Oh yeah...
tgibson3770, welcome to OLS!!! I see you are a newbie!!! I hope you have many many wins!!!!
  Old  September 29th, 2007, 12:06pm     #7
dippitydoo
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm guessing for sweeps with both online and snail entries, they use randomizer for the online entries and draw one from the snails, and then randomly pick one of the two. But who knows ...?

Subscribe to my Examiner Christian Living column!
  Old  September 29th, 2007, 12:17pm     #8
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippitydoo
I'm guessing for sweeps with both online and snail entries, they use randomizer for the online entries and draw one from the snails, and then randomly pick one of the two. But who knows ...?

I have also read on here, I think from someone who works at Young America....that when the snails come in, they manually enter them online for the snailer, so really, they end up being an 'online' entry anyhow. So, if you enter Young America sweeps, no need in sending in fancy envelopes and stickers, etc. And if it is a YA sweeps, that has an online option, might as well save the stamp altogether and enter online for free

(Not sure how any of the rest of them handle the snails if they also have an online option. I would bet some smaller companies do it DippityDoo's way though).

Old  September 29th, 2007, 12:22pm     #9
iwannawin2day
Master Sweeper

How winners are picked

From about.com

If you are looking for the light at the end of the tunnel........
Be sure it is not an oncoming train
  Old  September 29th, 2007, 12:32pm     #10
vdeliz
Senior Sweeper

there are ramdomizer programs that are used to choose a winner...