Old  September 27th, 2007, 4:07pm     #1
Lora
Master Sweeper

Angry *WARNING* Chicken jerky dog treats - Killing dogs??
These need to be RECALLED first, THEN tested to see if they are safe!!!

I haven't heard a word about these treats being possibly the cause of a LOT of dog's deaths!!

My mom and step-dad are visiting and I was watching their 3 small dogs - feeding them chicken jerky strips because they won't seem to eat anything else. We just went last night and purchased $200 worth of these treats because they can't get them where they live. I noticed that the smallest, a yorkie was acting really lethargic and she felt pretty hot to me. I called a little bit ago to see if my step-dad had noticed her acting sick today and he said that he noticed that she threw up but that he didn't think she was really sick.

For some reason, I just had a weird feeling, I started looking online during my lunch to research about chicken jerky strips and found out that there have been a LOT of deaths that owners are linking to these treats. The FDA is testing them now but they have not been recalled at all. Walmart has voluntarily pulled them from their shelves. (Although I don't know if ALL Walmarts have). Another thing that links them all together is that they all seem to be made in China. Some of the treats are deceivingly marked as "packaged in USA" but if you read everything, you will find "product of China" somewhere else on the bag.

I just wanted to get the word out since it's not making the news for some reason!

http://www.king5.com/animals/news/st...111f80755.html

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/for...-jerky-treats/

http://www.itchmo.com/fda-investigat...gs-deaths-2350

Old  September 27th, 2007, 5:56pm     #2
Alluringheart
Master Sweeper

Thanks for posting that. I give my dogs chicken jerky that I by at Costco, and I never noticed that it was made in china, until you posted this, and I called home and asked. Here is the ones that I was buying http://www.benniandpenni.com/home.php

Just to be safe I am going to stop using it now.
  Old  September 27th, 2007, 6:03pm     #3
Defenderofthefaith
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanks for posting. I am sending this to my sister.

http://www.facebook.com/IamtheRESISTANCEPatriotPrincess
  Old  September 27th, 2007, 6:08pm     #4
Lora
Master Sweeper

I think the US might be starting to try to be softer on China after all of these dangerous findings lately and may be not as quick to let us know that there is a potential problem.

Benni & Penni - That is the brand that Costco used to carry - now they have either Pet Kingdom or Kingdom Pet (I forget which way and I'm at work right now). My mom's dogs ate the Benni & Penni one without any problem but this new Kingdom one that Costco is carrying now is the brand that they are saying is causing problems and dogs have already died from what looks like kidney failure.

I'm going to go with not purchasing or using any food products or pet supplies that come from China - for me or my pets.

Old  September 27th, 2007, 6:09pm     #5
tomfarr
Senior Master Sweeper

Thanks for the post DD lost her dog to a treat that was on the recall list. We found out to late and had given the treat to the dog. The treat was a sample, the vet bill over $1500.
  Old  September 27th, 2007, 6:29pm     #6
Alluringheart
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora
I think the US might be starting to try to be softer on China after all of these dangerous findings lately and may be not as quick to let us know that there is a potential problem.

Benni & Penni - That is the brand that Costco used to carry - now they have either Pet Kingdom or Kingdom Pet (I forget which way and I'm at work right now). My mom's dogs ate the Benni & Penni one without any problem but this new Kingdom one that Costco is carrying now is the brand that they are saying is causing problems and dogs have already died from what looks like kidney failure.

I'm going to go with not purchasing or using any food products or pet supplies that come from China - for me or my pets.
I agree, I can't believe that this has been kept so hush hush, and unfortunatly, people feel this type of treat is safe because it doesn't contain the ingredients that caused the other recalls. SCARY! Between the pet food recalls and the toy recalls it is enough to drive you crazy trying to find something safe.
  Old  September 27th, 2007, 6:54pm     #7
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

Those sound OK. They just had a test last month. Since they are done under USDA they should be fine. But our little guys are so worth much more than some treats.!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluringheart
Thanks for posting that. I give my dogs chicken jerky that I by at Costco, and I never noticed that it was made in china, until you posted this, and I called home and asked. Here is the ones that I was buying http://www.benniandpenni.com/home.php

Just to be safe I am going to stop using it now.

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  September 27th, 2007, 7:07pm     #8
StarbucksAddict
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
LUKALOVAH

Thanks for posting this, I just found the same article in a local paper and send it to my sister and mother.