Old  April 25th, 2007, 9:13pm     #1
beachbrat
Senior Sweeper

Bad taste after root canal
Has anyone here ever had a bad metallic/medicine taste after a root canal that won't go away?
I am so torn at this point as to having a tooth removed because of this awful taste. 6 months ago I had a root canal through a crown, this bad taste that burns my toung has been bothersome eversince. Last week my dentist removed the crown to replace it, hoping that would take care of it but I think now it is worse. What could possibly be causing this horrible taste? Anybody else have this problem??? I am waiting on getting the new crown made until I can figure this out but can only leave the temporary on for another week, uggg.The dentist isn't being very helpful because he can't see anything wrong and doesn't want to pull the tooth. I have tried getting advice on other forums but there are none as good as OLS so thought I better ask you guys.

Old  April 25th, 2007, 9:46pm     #2
mamafairal
Grand Master Sweeper

ugh sorry for the bad taste in your mouth.

Call your dentist back and make him find whats doing it at his cost...GL

THE VOICES IN MY HEAD DONT LIKE YOU!!!
  Old  April 25th, 2007, 10:20pm     #3
purplepod
Master Sweeper

usually
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbrat
Has anyone here ever had a bad metallic/medicine taste after a root canal that won't go away?
I am so torn at this point as to having a tooth removed because of this awful taste. 6 months ago I had a root canal through a crown, this bad taste that burns my toung has been bothersome eversince. Last week my dentist removed the crown to replace it, hoping that would take care of it but I think now it is worse. What could possibly be causing this horrible taste? Anybody else have this problem??? I am waiting on getting the new crown made until I can figure this out but can only leave the temporary on for another week, uggg.The dentist isn't being very helpful because he can't see anything wrong and doesn't want to pull the tooth. I have tried getting advice on other forums but there are none as good as OLS so thought I better ask you guys.

the temp is metal and will taste bad but the ceramic crown shouldn't taste bad unless it is ceramic over metal - ask your DDS if it is ceramic over gold or High noble or over metal the first 2 should not taste metallic. Wish u the best

I voted for "that one"
  Old  April 26th, 2007, 9:51am     #4
beachbrat
Senior Sweeper

Wow, thanks I never thought of that and neither did they for some reason. My first crown didn't taste bad until after I had the 3 root canals on that tooth. And yes the first crown looked metal so could have released something at that point maybe? I will call the dentist today and find out what the new one would be made of. Thank you for some hope.
  Old  April 26th, 2007, 10:42am     #5
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

They put a piece of "fabric" of some kind under the temp that has some sort of med on it to help avoid infection, I have no idea what the heck it is but it tastes awful!! I was actually allergic to it (or the meds on it) and got a horrible reaction that required antibotics and pain killers for a week. Could they have left that under the crown or something?

Hope you get it figured out, that would be miserable!!!

As you slide down the banister of life, may
the splinters never point the wrong way.
  Old  April 26th, 2007, 11:45am     #6
Scibba
Grand Master Sweeper

Were you/are you taking antibiotics? I had a metal taste in my mouth during and a couple of weeks after taking an antibiotic for an infection.