Old  November 19th, 2006, 5:08pm     #1
chinchilla
Senior Master Sweeper
Senior Editor

Why does my washing machine smell sour, and what can I do about it?
I think the title pretty much says it all. My husband has mentioned this to me before so it's been going on for a while. He usually does the laundry, but today I'm washing some sheets and blankets, and man, my washer reeks with a really sour smell! Is there something caught in the works that I can't see? How can I clean it out or fix it? I almost hate to put clothes in there... the sour smell is very strong.
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 5:14pm     #2
wildbirds
Senior Master Sweeper

My machine has a cap looking thing on top of the agitator where the fabric softner goes. I had no idea it came off until my Mom told me about it. It was caked with goo and smelled really nasty. It was so bad I had to use a butter knife ans spoon to get all the goo out. If you have a machine like mine maybe that is what smells sour in your machine too.
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 5:17pm     #3
Nickyle
Grand Master Sweeper

top or front loader?

don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 5:23pm     #4
sabinennc
Master Sweeper

it could be gunk on the outside of the drum, I had a similar problem years ago, and they had to change out the drum, since the drain holes in the first one didn't go up high enough, stuff would gunk up at the top.

My Wins
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 5:24pm     #5
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

It appears to be a common problem, I imagine that the humidity in the laundry room is probably the culprit. I googled "washing machine odors" and found tons of stuff on it. Here's some solutions you might try:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...8153204AA7FtKv

As you slide down the banister of life, may
the splinters never point the wrong way.
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 5:30pm     #6
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't know what type of machine you have. I had a small part break in mine and the repairman had to remove the center agitator. There was mildew inside between the agitator and the part it attached to. While he had it apart, I was able to scrub it out really well. If you can't take it apart, you might try running a load of hot water and strong bleach with no clothes to try to disinfect the machine.

That took care of the problem for me. My machine is over 16 years old and working great.

I could not have cleaned between these parts if it was not taken apart. Good luck finding the cause of your problem. Check to see if you have a lint trap inside the washer -- some washers have those and they need to be cleaned out.

Old  November 19th, 2006, 7:18pm     #7
chinchilla
Senior Master Sweeper
Senior Editor

Thanks for the suggestions and information! I'll check all of that out. My machine is a top loader.
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 8:08pm     #8
stan1162
Master Sweeper

Front Loader...
I have a front loader, and there is this rubber, flexible thingy all round the outside of the drum. When you peel it back, oooowwwwweeeee, there is massive ammounts of black smelly gunk you need to clean!
  Old  November 19th, 2006, 11:38pm     #9
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

One more thought -- we bought some cheap laundry soap and the towels kept coming out stinky. They seemed fine till you went to dry off after a shower and then you could tell they smelled bad.

We went and bought some Tide and the clothes and towels are clean and fresh. The machine is not dirty inside right now, it was the soap that was the problem.

Old  November 20th, 2006, 1:13am     #10
Nubbs820
Senior Master Sweeper

I run a load every so often with nothing but hot water, bleach, vinegar and baking soda. I read about bleach and hot water in some book about home fixit's and minor problems. I also read about mildew in there and it said vinegar and baking soda. I run all 3 because I have no idea what the smell is, but I don't want my clothes smelling like that
  Old  November 20th, 2006, 10:38am     #11
okibrat
Master Sweeper

i have a top loader, too. it's less than a year old and was having that problem. i went to the manufacturer website and pulled up the info on this problem.

their recommendation was to run a large cycle of hot water with 1/2 cup of baking soda. i had my doubts, but it took the smell out of there!

it also said NOT to leave the washer closed up after you had washed and were done with laundry. it said there will always be some water or moisture left, and if you close it up that it will smell.

hth!
  Old  November 20th, 2006, 10:58am     #12
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by okibrat
i
it also said NOT to leave the washer closed up after you had washed and were done with laundry. it said there will always be some water or moisture left, and if you close it up that it will smell.

hth!

I've always left the top open.. per learning at home from my mom. Never had to run any cycle of vinegar, baking soda, bleach etc... The only time I had sour smelling laundry were towels I had washed and forgot to put into the dryer right away.. maybe had them in the washer for a day until I put them into the dryer..

Time to win, win, win!!
  Old  November 20th, 2006, 11:52am     #13
okibrat
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97
I've always left the top open.. per learning at home from my mom. Never had to run any cycle of vinegar, baking soda, bleach etc... The only time I had sour smelling laundry were towels I had washed and forgot to put into the dryer right away.. maybe had them in the washer for a day until I put them into the dryer..
see, now my mom always closed ours! maybe she was afraid our cat would fall in!
i had just always shut mine because it seemed like to leave it open was like leaving a cabinet door in the kitchen hanging open. but, now that i know that closing it can cause the sour smell, i just leave it open.
  Old  November 20th, 2006, 12:46pm     #14
TrueBrunette
Senior Master Sweeper

Mine is a top loader & I always keep the door open even when it's not running (is that ever in my house?!?) Anyway, helps keep it a bit fresher. Also, I run a cycle of the works about 1x a year. That cleans it up too!! GL!

Just waiting on that BIG win & it will happen soon!