Old  July 15th, 2006, 11:38am     #1
jdedmom
Sweeper

I need ideas...United Nations Day.
My sons school celebrates United Nations Day (mid Oct I think). Anyway they want the children to dress in traditional Ethnic outfits representing different countries. My son (5) has been going to this Montessori school for 2 years and my almost 2 yr old will be joining him there this year.

The first year my son represented Mexico and wore a sumbraro and a pancho...last year he wore a tie-dye shirt and a multi-colored beanie with fake dreadlocks representing Jamaica. I'm trying to think of something for both the boys to wear. I thought of kilts but those are real expensive.

Some parents take the easy way out on this and their children wear a shirt with a country name on it or clothing colors of a country but some have really cool outfits. A couple of children had leiderhosen (I think thats what the shorts with suspenders and kneesocks that they wear in Germany is called. Right?)

I guess if it came down to it they could wear the costumes again but I'd love to do something different. Does anyone have any ideas?

Because I said so thats why.
  Old  July 15th, 2006, 11:45am     #2
ISLABONITA
Grand Master Sweeper

If you go to the party store or Toys r us , KayBee stores you can find hats and some costumes.

Some ideas... French- Pantomine- white face striped long sleeve shirt.. a beret? black pants

Central American- All white shirt and pants, sandals, red scarf around neck , peasant type sombrero not mexican...

Look up Hawaiian costumes for men or even New Zealand and it's pretty skimpy stuff but fun to wear!

Emi & Crumpet
  Old  July 15th, 2006, 11:56am     #3
BlueIrishEyes
Master Sweeper

You could do togos for Greece of old. How about some shorts maybe in dark green to simulate Lederhosen with suspenders and a white shirt for germany?
  Old  July 15th, 2006, 1:25pm     #4
jdedmom
Sweeper

Thanks for your ideas. Finding info on this even on the World Wide Web is difficult. It's much easier finding historical clothes. BTW I have searched for kids costumes and the only one I found was a Native American costume(at least two other children wear one). All the other costumes were characters or occupations. I want them to be unique and you guys have given me some great ideas. Please keep em coming.

Old  July 15th, 2006, 2:20pm     #5
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Japanese costumes should be easy to put together - you could use kimonos and improvise obis from folded fabric. The boys could carry swords and wear flip-flops (flip-flops are based on traditional Japanese zoris). Or, you could borrow karate stuff (if you don't already have it).

For details on how to wear kimonos and tie obis: http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/...nhaba_obi.html

Here's a HUGE amount of information on costumes and clothing: http://www.mcallen.lib.tx.us/library...k/costumes.htm

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  July 15th, 2006, 2:32pm     #6
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdedmom
A couple of children had leiderhosen (I think thats what the shorts with suspenders and kneesocks that they wear in Germany is called. Right?)
By the way, I took some photos of dancing men in lederhosen a couple of weeks ago. The short pants are made of leather (leder = leather & hosen = pants) and the goofy little hats have feathers in them. http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/191...0/DSCN5883.jpg

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  July 15th, 2006, 9:43pm     #7
Trix
Master Sweeper

You don't have to buy proper kilts, just get some plaid fabric at Joann's with a coupon, wrap it and pin it. They can wear shorts underneath. Put them in knee socks and stitch or pin a tassel on the upper outside of each sock. Use another length of the plaid fabric to throw over one shoulder; pin that to the shirt to keep it in place. Any light colored shirt will do; it's good if it's a bit loose-fitting. If you want to dress it up more, see if you can find plain little vinyl purses with a long strap - they could be attached around the waist to be sporrans.
  Old  July 15th, 2006, 10:16pm     #8
covergerl
Master Sweeper

You could do ancient Greece and do a homemade version of this:

or an Arab knight:

A gypsy man would be cute:

or you could dress them up like Spanish Dancers, like samba or flamenco like this but toned down:

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
Marilyn Monroe
  Old  July 16th, 2006, 9:50am     #9
jdedmom
Sweeper

Very cool ideas. I haven't seen any of children wear examples of these costumes. I did find a few costumes pretty cheap at this site and I really like these two....

http://www.thecostumer.com/store/pro...fm?prodID=1519

http://www.thecostumer.com/store/pro...fm?prodID=4502

Thanks so much for all your wonderful ideas.

Old  July 17th, 2006, 3:46pm     #10
covergerl
Master Sweeper

Those are cool.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
Marilyn Monroe
  Old  July 17th, 2006, 4:01pm     #11
ups91
Senior Master Sweeper

Checkout this link:http://www.costumepage.org/tcpinfo3.html

The are other links under SOURCES in the middle of the page.

What about dressing them up as Leprechauns to represent Ireland?

You can get some really cool Kente(sp?) cloth at the fabric stores for African costumes.

Nancy
  Old  July 17th, 2006, 4:10pm     #12
covergerl
Master Sweeper

Wink
I had a discussion a while back with a friend who is Irish and we covered this topic, he said he would find dressing up as a leprechaun=Ireland offensive.

Marilyn Monroe
  Old  July 17th, 2006, 5:05pm     #13
Trix
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by covergerl
I had a discussion a while back with a friend who is Irish and we covered this topic, he said he would find dressing up as a leprechaun=Ireland offensive.
Definitely. Irish people do not dress that way If this event is supposed to represent these cultures, I'd also leave out the ancient Roman and Greek costumes.
  Old  September 29th, 2006, 7:20pm     #14
jdedmom
Sweeper

Well we finally settled on costumes for the United Nations Day parade this year. Both boys will be wearing these costumes representing England.

Royal British Guard

I offered my sons costume from last year to a boy in my younger sons class. He represented Jamaica and had wore a colored knit hat with dreadlocks a tye dye shirt and a steel drum. The boys father declined using the costume and said it was racist. I am shocked because I thought it was very creative. The boys mother is part African-American and she was offended. I did not offer the costume because of their race and I think they thought I did.

I'm thinking I should just let it go because I know what is in my heart but I am stunned that I was accused of being racist. What do you think?

Old  September 30th, 2006, 12:07am     #15
Poopie_doos
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdedmom
Well we finally settled on costumes for the United Nations Day parade this year. Both boys will be wearing these costumes representing England.

Royal British Guard

I offered my sons costume from last year to a boy in my younger sons class. He represented Jamaica and had wore a colored knit hat with dreadlocks a tye dye shirt and a steel drum. The boys father declined using the costume and said it was racist. I am shocked because I thought it was very creative. The boys mother is part African-American and she was offended. I did not offer the costume because of their race and I think they thought I did.

I'm thinking I should just let it go because I know what is in my heart but I am stunned that I was accused of being racist. What do you think?

I think there is the potential for anyone from a specific background to become offended by a costume because they all generalize a culture. I don't think you did anything wrong. I would tell the parents of that child "I apologize if I offended you, it was not my intention."
Then leave it at that.