Old  June 28th, 2006, 8:31pm     #1
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

Can I Wear An Underwire Bra On The Airplane?
I am brand spankin new to the airplane experience To say I am scared, is the absolute understatement of the year.

Can I wear an underwire bra without setting off the metal detector?

Do I have to buy toiletries there, like razors, finger nail clipppers etc or can I bring them on the plane?

Is there actually a vomit bag available to me, or is that just another thing I have picked up from the movies?

Is it normal to be as scared as I am, about something so simple as a 2 hour flight?

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 8:36pm     #2
mynpyn
Master Sweeper

Yes, you can wear underwire. Pack your razors, fingernail clippers, etc. in your checked baggage, they won't let you have them in a carry-on. Barf bags are in the pocket of the seat in front of you, should you need them. I hate to fly, so I feel your pain. But it will be fine, I'm sure.

P.S. You cannot take a lighter on a plane, they will take it from you.

Last edited by mynpyn; June 28th, 2006 at 8:37pm. Reason: More info

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...L4e/weight.png
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 8:48pm     #3
Poopie_doos
Master Sweeper

Well if you haven't flown before or haven't flown in a long time I guess it's normal to be scared. It's really not so bad. Wear socks with your shoes on your flight. They will most likely ask you to take off your shoes when you go through the metal dectector and you don't want to be walking around that airport barefoot!

Everythings mynpyn said is correct as far as I know so you shouldn't have to worry!

I hope you have a great flight!
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 8:51pm     #4
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?th...000519800720a4

I had no problem with an underwire bra on the last two flights I went on (both in 2006). One was Southwest and the other was American and I went right through security. Also, DH flies a lot more than I do and says he sees a lot of people wearing those cheap flip flops because then you don't have to worry about being asked to remove your shoes when going throu the security area.

Are you checking any luggage, or is it all carry on? You will have no trouble at all with a razor or a nail clipper in checked luggage. I brought a pair of baby nail clippers (I knit on the plane and I use the clippers for cutting my yarn) and they were fine with it, they were also fine with my knitting needles though once they were perplexed by them (when they saw them on the x-ray screen) but once I told the guy what they were I got through no problem.

Yes, there generally are barf bags in the little pocket in the seat in front of you. If you really think you will need one, then make sure you have one nearby before you take off. They are a white bag, coated with a plasticy stuff on the inside. Are you really susceptible to motion sickness? I'm not, but I haven't found flying to be a particularly nauseating experience.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 9:06pm     #5
reddy
Senior Master Sweeper

this has nothing to do with your bra, but be sure to take some chewing gum - it will help your ears.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 9:26pm     #6
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

This will cheer you.

http://www.airtoons.com/

Edited to add: some of them are kind of crude but there are some really funny ones in there too.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 9:31pm     #7
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutterfly
Can I wear an underwire bra without setting off the metal detector?
Yes.

Quote:
Do I have to buy toiletries there, like razors, finger nail clipppers etc?
No. Pack sharp metal instruments in checked luggage.

Quote:
Is there actually a vomit bag available to me?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it normal to be as scared as I am, about something so simple as a 2 hour flight?
For experienced travellers, no. For newbies, probably.

I know you didn't ask this, but you are free to bring your own soft drinks, food & snacks on the plane (and your own will be far better than anything they might provide), but not your own alcohol.

Have a wonderful trip!

The Dairy-Related Crime Files
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 9:43pm     #8
Txsweeper
Grand Master Sweeper

Wear shoes that easily slip on and off. Leave your belt at home or pack it. Don't wear a bunch of jewelry, you may have to take it off.
Put matches in your purse if you smoke. No lighters allowed.
Get to the airport early enough that you are able to wander around and get relaxed before getting on the plane. In other words, hit the bar.
You will probably NOT be airsick. Few people are. Don't even worry about that.
If you have sinus problems, take a decongesant before leaving for the airport, so that it times to work. Your ears will plug up and it's painful landing if you have blocked sinus!!

Please have a great time and stop worrying about the flight, everything will be so fine that you will come back and tell us how silly you feel for worrying so much!!!

As you slide down the banister of life, may
the splinters never point the wrong way.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 9:53pm     #9
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txsweeper
You will probably NOT be airsick. Few people are. Don't even worry about that.

DH has flown almost 200,000 miles and has never seen anyone vomit on a plane. One of his cousins said she barfed once (she had a bad cold and was extremely congested) and once we saw someone as we exited who had used 2 bags (poor guy was so nervous, he was shaking and sweating when he got on the plane). Throwing up on a plane really is pretty rare.
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 10:46pm     #10
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

funny story..short version
On my Las Vegas trip win last year, our plane was late departing on the return flight, so we missed our connection in Phoenix. Airline had to rebook us for the next morning...gave us new tickets for the Phoenix to OKC leg of the trip, which, was, of course, a one way trip.
Get to security gate in Phoenix the next morning, I noticed the "special" alphabet code on the ticket (can't recall exactly what letter it was... maybe the SSSS code.)
This means that you are being "randomly" selected for the "special" security treatment.
(Insert a vent here....both my 75 yr old mom and I were "randomly" selected for this treatment, which I find very unusual....so I think it may have had something to do with the "one-way" ticket we were given in exchange.)
Anyway, I have had a double mastectomy, and find it much easier when I do wear a bra, to wear one that fastens in front. At the time, I only had a "surgical" bra (quite comfortable, actually...but that's another story) that "zipped" up the front.
Well, during my "special treatment" the security lady kept going over the chest area of my shirt with her wand. I finally asked if there was a problem with something, and she replied that there was something unusual in my chest area.
Now, here I was, sitting in front of 100's of people as they came thru the security gate, with my shoes off (I had sandals on bare feet...still had to take them off), so I discreetly whispered to the lady that I had had a mastectomy and was wearing a bra that zipped up the front. She just flat refused to believe me, and insisted that I was hiding something under my shirt. So, after about another 3 passes with her wand, I lifted up my shirt, right there in front of everyone and proved her wrong. She was a bit flabbergasted, of course, and said that no further proof was needed. Told me to get my shoes and things and I was "free to go".
Looking back, I think it is funny, and I really appreciate the measures that they take to ensure everyone of a safe flight, but geez louise, I was a bit "miffed" at the time about it.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  June 28th, 2006, 11:02pm     #11
lfw1la
Senior Master Sweeper

An underwire bra will not set off the metal detectors.

But after reading your other thread, due to time and area constraints, you may want to go braless.

Old  June 28th, 2006, 11:05pm     #12
satellite78
Master Sweeper

I have had underwire set of detectors. I've flown a lot and it's only happened once or twice, so the percentage is low. If it happens they will use the wand on you. Not that big of a deal. I am used to getting the extra security anyway as I fly on a lot of one way tickets (well, I used to anyway). It's a PITA but in the scheme of things is not that big a deal. Things are much better than they were directly after 9-11.

I also get air sick (and all kind of motion sick). If you are prone to it, you might want to take one of those non-drowsy dramamine. I have been so utterly miserable that I wanted to die. It hits me about 50% of the time for no particular reason I can identify but it sure does suck. Once you are already sick it's hard to get rid of, too.

Take snacks - they help to distract and make the time go a little faster. A bottle of water is nice and helps you from dehydrating. Plus, you won't have to wait for the drink cart.

True love doesn't litter
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 1:22am     #13
core_17
Senior Master Sweeper

I flew for the first time this year...I've now done it twice. It's really not bad at all. I even flew ALONE the second time. Oh, and I had a razor in my carry on luggage (didn't even THINK about it til you just now mentioned it) both times...once with Southwest, and once with United Airlines. No problems either way on either trip. I agree with those that have said to bring your own snacks...at the very least bring some bottled water.

Oh, and my underwires didn't set anything off.

You'll do great!

"If you like it you should be able to put a ring on it." -Beyonce
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 3:20am     #14
ksmith47
Grand Master Sweeper

Go braless and join the mile-high club! Make this a fun trip! You'll want to fly more often!

I always take a Dramamine since I usually get a little airsick. With the Dramamine, I have no problems.

Take some bottled water - but don't open the bottle until you get on the plane.

Have a great flight!
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 7:43am     #15
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

First of all, thanks so much for easing me in guys, you are making me feel better. I am hoping once I get on and get it over with, I'll be like, i can't believe I was so scared

All right I am going to get Dramamine, a snack and water I actually remember seeing on the View, a man giving flying tips said unless you see them open the bottle in front of you, it might very well be water from the tap

My husband can't wear a belt?

Our tickets are e tickets we get at a desk, has anyone had any experience with these type of tickets

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied