Old  October 3rd, 2002, 12:04am     #1
bes0603
Master Sweeper

Best Time To Enter Sweepstakes
hello everyone. well i'm pretty new to this (about 3 months now) and i was wondering what you guys think is the best time to enter a sweepstakes. be it a time of day or towards the beginning or end of a sweepstakes. or does it really matter?
just curious on what others have had luck with.

thanks

beth
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 12:40am     #2
Balayeur
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Hi Beth,
This question has been asked from time to time. Everyone has their own methods, etc. Personally, I think its just luck !

Anyone else ?

Balayeur
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 1:33am     #3
swknutson
Senior Sweeper

i agree with bala it has more to do with luck than anything.
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 1:17pm     #4
littlebit870
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Welcome to our world Beth !! I agree luck is everything. Enter as often as you are allowed. You can't win if you don't enter. I have noticed my many small wins have dramatically fell off in the last couple of months. I have been a little under the weather and have not entered as often as I would otherwise. So go get em! Beth.

Ms Dee Dee

Ms Dee Dee
"It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude."
- Zig Ziglar
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 1:58pm     #5
tknodcmn
Senior Sweeper

Statistical answer:
My thoughts from the last time this question /similar was asked:

- Asumming 2 factors:
1. The sweep is "legitimate"
2. The selection process for determining winners is truely "random" -in other words each entry has an equal chance of being selected as all other entries- than the following is true:

The number of entries by any given participant divided by the total number of entries provides the statistical odds (ratio) of any one of those entries being selected as the "winner" ie; Seadebbie has entered a daily 50 times, tknodcmn has entered the same sweep 1 time, the total number of entries in the sweep is 50,000. Seadebbie has a 50 in 50,000 or 1 in 5,000 chance of ONE of her entries being selected. Tknodcmn has a 1 in 50,000 chance of his lone entry being selected.

Then why do we all freak out when a winner of say, HGTV says they only entered 1x vs our multiple entries- THIS IS WHERE LOGIC NOT EMOTION COMES IN:

In the above example, even though Seadebbies OVERALL chances are better at having ONE of her entries being selected, each individual entry is MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE-has no bearing on any of the others being selected. Thus any one of her entries have no greater chance at being selelcted than any other individual entry- no matter who the entrant is. Each entry has a 1 in 50,000 chance in being selected regardless of the ENTRANT.

BTW, the winner of the above is the same guy who one HGTV- you guessed it.......... only 1 entry.

Moral of the story, the more you enter the better your chances of winning- however each entry has an EQUAL chance of being selected (given the assumptions)

tek

tek-no-dunce-man
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 2:06pm     #6
dogbuddy57
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I have a new friend who is an attorney that does work for corporations - one of her jobs is sweepstakes related legal issues/questions. She told me that the sponsor of the sweepstakes is supposed to have a *program* (for lack of a better word), in which the computer selects, AT RANDOM, a winner. In theory, those companies that allow computer and snail mail entries are SUPPOSED to enter all snail mail entries into the data base, allowing a COMPLETELY random process, regardless of whether you entered via internet or snail-mail.
I agree with what everyone else is saying as well.......just enter as often as you can/want, and cross your fingers. Sooner or later, the sweeps fairy pays a visit.

HAPPY SWEEPING!!
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 2:19pm     #7
Balayeur
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Odd are odds . . . & Luck is Luck ?
Let me give you an example : that one sweeps that I won to Paris ( for 4 people ) was entered @ Target ( & was co-sponsored by Times Mirror & one of the airlines, U S Air ? ) . . . I entered 1 time & my name was selected from ( 1,618, 562 entries. )

You just never know . . . called luck !

Balayeur
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 2:33pm     #8
littlebit870
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I forgot to include this link. Kurt posted it not long ago its informative.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...threadid=28282

Ms Dee Dee

Ms Dee Dee
"It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude."
- Zig Ziglar
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 2:35pm     #9
alwitmayer
Master Sweeper
Senior Editor
Grand Pooh Bah

Founding Member

JG, you were always 1 in a million in my book; now I see its really 1:1,618, 562
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 2:40pm     #10
Balayeur
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Smile
Hi Al,

Balyeur "my Mom always said I was one in a million ?!" Poodle-Girl
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 3:05pm     #11
sunfrog
Senior Sweeper
Founding Member

The best time is early in the morning when you're drinking a nice warm cup of coffee. Aahhhh..

The worst time is late at night when it might be after midnight east coast time, or west coast time, and you can disqualify yourself if you enter again the next morning.
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 3:18pm     #12
Balayeur
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

sip, sip . . . slowly . . .savor ...enter; enter; enter. . .sip, sip
or in the even..with a fine glass of wine ?
  Old  October 3rd, 2002, 8:26pm     #13
jcns
Senior Master Sweeper

Jeepers!
I enter in the am with my coffee - I enter in the afternoon with the kids yelling at me to help them with homework - I enter when I'm sitting here with a beer....Just about anytime I see a good sweep to enter, I enter it! Of course, I haven't won a thing - EVER - so you may not want to listen to my advice! Anyway, regardless of when you enter - have fun! Make some new friends in the process!
  Old  October 4th, 2002, 9:00pm     #14
Stingray53
Master Sweeper

Well, anytime's a good time..... but saying that I generally enter about the same time every day so I don't get disqualified from those 24 hour sweeps. Course on the weekends it's different so.... now I'm confused. Go back to the beginning, anytime's a good time.

Roxanne
  Old  October 6th, 2002, 10:35pm     #15
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

Just a couple of thoughts. If the sweepstakes runs for over a year, and you're only allowed one entry, I would think it would be better to enter closer to the end. If you happen to change e-mail addresses or phone numbers, or even home addresses, the sponsor may not be able to contact you if (when) you do win.

I also think online sweeps are best entered before the very last day, mainly because there will be many people (like me) who are are entering at the last minute.

kc