Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:33am     #1
ScrapperDeb
Junior Sweeper

Exclamation Does Roboform = automated?
I use roboform...but I'm always afraid the sweeps offered that say "no automated forms or disqualification occurs" means they disregard my entries. Is roboform accepted? And my entries are legal? Thanks
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:46am     #2
janlapke
Sweeper

Roboform is only a form filler. It DOES NOT automatically enter sweeps for you. It is acceptable to use it for sweeping.

I've still got it, but nobody wants to see it.
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:53am     #3
anine
Master Sweeper

Very good question. And alot of people are going to scream I am wrong.

It could be considered an auto-entry - depending on how the sweep rules are stated. My reasoning behind this is that the sponsor (or webmaster/programmers) can set up the entry page so they can tell that you used an auto entry system. That is the part were people are going to disagree. I will wait for the argument first - then justify my answer. Bottom line - using software (whether you do it or a service you hired uses it) to enter sweeps does violated the sweep rules when they specify no auto entry.

So when it comes to the sweeps that have a restriction - I do not use Robo. Alot of people that say that they have won using Robo - I ask how many have been DQ's (and not even know it) for using Robo. The sponsor just DQ;'s - they dont send you a special message letting you know violated the rules.

Follow you gut instinct - if it feels wrong - it probably is.

Well-behaved women rarely make history!
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:57am     #4
anine
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by janlapke
Roboform is only a form filler. It DOES NOT automatically enter sweeps for you. It is acceptable to use it for sweeping.

Hitting enter is only part of the process. Filling out the form is considered entering also. If the sponsor is using timing methods on the form - they are not going to know if you used robo but they can see that its not humanly possible to fill out the form that quickly. If they are hiding fields to see if you are using an entry service - they are not going to know the difference between robo and another software package that does auto entry.

Please remember that programmers have alot of methods at their disposal to see what you are doing when you are on their site.

Old  April 22nd, 2005, 9:08am     #5
anine
Master Sweeper

I dont feel any better considering the source. But Robo is not going to state - yes you can be dq'd for using our software. I would need to see that type of statement from a national sponsor.

Has anyone ever asked one?

Edited to say - I have sent an email to eprize.. One of their sweeps states Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. - notice it does not say entry - system can mean many things. I will update when they answer. I hope they say no..robo is fine.

Old  April 22nd, 2005, 9:35am     #6
ScrapperDeb
Junior Sweeper

Thanks to you all for the replies. Yes, I would definitely be interested in hearing the reply from one of the sponsors regarding roboform. I have wanted to ask this question forever, and now I'm glad I did. I can see where the robo website would endorse themselves and say nothing is wrong...it would be good to be able to believe them. Thanks again, I'll keep checking back!
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 9:43am     #7
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Taken from a post in January:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Another popular misconception is that you'll get disqualified for using RoboForm. It's pure hogwash. I've been running this site for more than 7 years now, and I have never seen or heard of any evidence suggesting anyone has ever been disqualified from an online sweep because of the use of RoboForm or other similar form fillers. Sponsors and promoters care about you using RoboForm to enter their sweeps just about as much as Amazon.com cares about you using RoboForm to buy a book- they don't. Even if they did, it would be very difficult for them to do anything about it. And even if they did decide to try and do something about it, it would be fairly obvious at the very least.

Don't believe the hype.

Brent
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 7:35pm     #8
pickle_breath
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anine
Very good question. And alot of people are going to scream I am wrong.

It could be considered an auto-entry - depending on how the sweep rules are stated. My reasoning behind this is that the sponsor (or webmaster/programmers) can set up the entry page so they can tell that you used an auto entry system. That is the part were people are going to disagree. I will wait for the argument first - then justify my answer. Bottom line - using software (whether you do it or a service you hired uses it) to enter sweeps does violated the sweep rules when they specify no auto entry.

So when it comes to the sweeps that have a restriction - I do not use Robo. Alot of people that say that they have won using Robo - I ask how many have been DQ's (and not even know it) for using Robo. The sponsor just DQ;'s - they dont send you a special message letting you know violated the rules.

Follow you gut instinct - if it feels wrong - it probably is.
It's refreshing to find someone on this site that sees things the same way I do. Robo is a MACRO, and many rules state no macros. And people say "I still win"... etc. But how many more would you have won if you weren't DQ'd for using ROBO. You can't possibly know how many sites DQ you. Maybe none, but better safe than sorry. I type 100wpm so it's not an issue for me. If I didn't type fast, I would probably find a different hobby.

-S
What have I won?
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 7:42pm     #9
greensthings
Gone Camping

Location: in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest (wisconsin)
The only time I do not use Robo is on sites that I can not (flash sites) or sites that state specifically I can not use Robo...I win a lot (at least once or more a week)! so if I have been DQ'ed for using it, I guess I really don't care!
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 7:46pm     #10
greensthings
Gone Camping

Location: in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest (wisconsin)
Maybe this will ease your mind, here is the OLS thread to sponsors that allow Robo (they were contacted and asked about it)
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...=sponsors+Robo

Here is the Robo search in OLS that has TONS of threads all asking the same question that you are http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...archid=1034887
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 7:58pm     #11
joolzie
Master Sweeper

I personally go back and forth on this in my head too. 98% of the time, I think form-filling software is probably ok. But then 2% of the time, I get stuck on the word "macro" and I feel uncomfortable.

However, I wonder where the line gets drawn. There are several different levels of "automation" in sweep entry... one, you manually type it by hand every time. Two, you manually type some of it by hand and then use the autofill (I type "joo" and it finishes the the "lzie" for me). Three, you type it one time and then save it, then call it up each time you come back. Four, you use Robo and just make sure it didn't mess anything up. Five, you have nothing to do with the process at all.

The only one that's not "automated" at all is the first. But auto-finish is pretty common in browsers; the average person would think nothing of using it. So if they're DQing for automation, they'd probably be DQing just about everyone... except hardcore sweepers who spend too much time thinking about these things.

Mostly I think they're going for people who literally pound their servers with entries. Every now and then you'll come across some rules that say something like "must be manually keystroked by the person named on the entry form" and hey, awesome. Total clarification.

But as someone said before, trust your instincts and do what seems right to you.
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:15pm     #12
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anine
If the sponsor is using timing methods on the form - they are not going to know if you used robo but they can see that its not humanly possible to fill out the form that quickly.
Others have mentioned timing. Does anyone have any specifics?
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:17pm     #13
sheila10253
Senior Master Sweeper

Uh Oh Here we go again!
  Old  April 22nd, 2005, 8:56pm     #14
newz77
Master Sweeper

If the rules say no "automated methods" then the most you can say is that they are ambiguous. If the rules say no "macros or scripts" as part of the prohibition, then they are clearly talking about software that runs on an individual users PC, and that includes things like Robo.

If the sponsors did not care about this issue they would not include this kind of prohibition in their rules.

There is evidence that at least some sites appear to have disqualifired people for super fast entries. It is important to also keep this in perspective. The evidence is limited to a very small number of the thousands of sites that run sweeps. The vast majority of sites probably do not make an effort to enforce this rule - at this time.

There have also been at least two independent reports of sites using "hidden" fields to identify Robo users.

I also think users of this site need to be cautious about advocating breaking sweeps published rules. It would be a shame, and a PR problem for this site if it became known as a site that advocated cheating.

I am especially concerned that a large number of users of this site combine the use of Robo and MySweeps, and use Robo in a way that is easy to detect - super fast entries. I think this can only lead to increased concern by sponsors and more efforts at detection and control.
  Old  April 23rd, 2005, 1:32am     #15
pickle_breath
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz77
If the rules say no "automated methods" then the most you can say is that they are ambiguous. If the rules say no "macros or scripts" as part of the prohibition, then they are clearly talking about software that runs on an individual users PC, and that includes things like Robo.

If the sponsors did not care about this issue they would not include this kind of prohibition in their rules.

There is evidence that at least some sites appear to have disqualifired people for super fast entries. It is important to also keep this in perspective. The evidence is limited to a very small number of the thousands of sites that run sweeps. The vast majority of sites probably do not make an effort to enforce this rule - at this time.

There have also been at least two independent reports of sites using "hidden" fields to identify Robo users.

I also think users of this site need to be cautious about advocating breaking sweeps published rules. It would be a shame, and a PR problem for this site if it became known as a site that advocated cheating.

I am especially concerned that a large number of users of this site combine the use of Robo and MySweeps, and use Robo in a way that is easy to detect - super fast entries. I think this can only lead to increased concern by sponsors and more efforts at detection and control.
Amen!

-S
What have I won?