Old  January 3rd, 2005, 4:28pm     #1
wrxrob
Sweeper

calling radio stations? Anyone ever win this way? any tips?
Quite often, my local radio stations (98Rock Baltimore, DC101 in Washington D.C.) have giveaways done on the radio. Usually you need to be caller 10 or caller 25. Sometimes caller 1.

I have tried over and over again to call in on these contests, and have never come close. Sometimes I've called during the end of a commercial right before the contest is announced, and the line is busy.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks when attempting to win something on the radio?
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:24pm     #2
SillyLilly
Senior Master Sweeper

I used to win a ton of stuff from radio stations years ago. I'd just keep hanging up and redialing until they answered, or a winner was announced. I got way too obsessive, staying home to listen to the radio constantly, even listening if I was talking to someone on the phone and hanging up on them so I could enter the contest. So I finally gave it up before I went bonkers.

I understand it's more competetive these days, especially in large markets like yours. I think the serious radio callers use an auto redialer. I saw a guy on a newsmagazine who even had several phone lines with auto redial on all.
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:29pm     #3
bkstar
Master Sweeper

I have won many radio call-ins and since I am in a smaller market - there are good odds of winning.

bk

Winning isn't everything, but it aint bad!
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:32pm     #4
curlyvan
Senior Sweeper

I actually won a pretty good cash prize from a radio station by being the ___ caller with the correct answer. I don't have speed dial, or any super fast thing. I had my husband calling on our cell phone and I was calling on the regular phone, just kept hanging up & hitting redial. I was actually pretty darn shocked to hear ringing instead of a busy signal. It was also a local radio contest, not a national one that some stations do now. Good luck if your trying for something.
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:42pm     #5
Donald Robertson
Master Sweeper

I have won a few. Tips Keep your phone beside you and have the number in memory or redail. Make sure your phone is well charged. Only try call ins on radio stations you like it will drive you crazy trying to listen for a call in with music you do not like. Listen to the dj and be ready to call in on a momets notice. Check the radio website and sign up for thier email some times they have special call ins just for their email subscribers. Be prepared to lose a lot it takes time and luck to win. I like to listen while I sweep sometimes I am entering contests with one hand hitting redail with the other. Good luxk on the call ins.
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:45pm     #6
jellosheriff
Grand Master Sweeper

I have tried using a land line and a cell phone at the same time. Since my cell has an auto-redial on busy function, it'll be more likely to get thru.

w T I <3 OLS!
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:46pm     #7
luckylady1744
Master Sweeper

I listen to the radio all day at work and usually win at least a qualifying prize once per month. No tricks, just be quick on the draw and have the phone handy. Our classic rock station here WXKR 94.5, is pretty cool about letting us know when they are going to take the caller. It's almost always at the same times every day. Guess they think us Classic rockers need all the help we can get! LOL
There's a new contest starting in the am tomorrow at 7:20 to qualify for a trip to Las Vegas for the Super Bowl. You can bet I'll be on that one! I don't like the am DJ's they've got right now, but the prize is worth listening. GLTA!
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 5:51pm     #8
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

I only have one tip: Cell phones usually dial a lot faster.

yad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/SosaLover/FREEval6/bunny.gif

Squirrel Butts Do Not Glow.
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 6:02pm     #9
tfacey
Senior Master Sweeper

I do have a tip - keep dialing long after you think they have picked a winner. Often they have to go into commercial and set up for the next songs.

Until they say on the radio or tell me on the phone that they have a winner, I keep dialing. This has won me several great prizes from the radio!!

Good luck!

Tfacey
  Old  January 3rd, 2005, 6:06pm     #10
halogen
Gone Camping

I won a $3,600 trip to an all-inclusive resort in Negril, Jamaica early in 2004. It was from a call-in radio program. Luckily, it's a smaller market, and easier to get through.

Get the radio station's call-in number and have it displayed by the phone. You'll be using the redial function, but you never know when you'll hit a wrong button going for the recall.

Get a rapid redialer : http://www.technologyarts.com/

If you know a trivia question is going to be broadcast soon, get google loaded and ready. I've won some pretty good prizes that way.

Keep trying. Don't give up after a minute. Sometimes the dj will take his time answering the phones.
  Old  January 4th, 2005, 10:35pm     #11
luckylady1744
Master Sweeper

Posted that a new radio contest started today and I was the third qualifyer for the Vegas trip! The trip is for the weekend of the Superbowl and it includes three nights at the Hotel San Remo. Not the greatest of places to stay, but close to MGM, Tropicana, Excaliber, and NY, NY There will be less than 100 qualifyers and the drawing is Jan 21st. Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone here at OLS!

Last edited by luckylady1744; January 4th, 2005 at 10:35pm. Reason: spelling
  Old  January 4th, 2005, 10:50pm     #12
rogermaier
Senior Sweeper

If you are calling from work and have a multiple line phone, use all the lines at the same time. Just dial, hit hold, hit the next line, redial, hold, etc and keep going back to check if you are ringing/busy on those on hold. I've had two lines ringing at the same time before doing this and have won often, although I am selective on what I try to win.

"You don't stand a chance if you don't take a chance"
  Old  January 4th, 2005, 10:51pm     #13
Quadratic
Senior Sweeper

Good Luck on your trip to Vegas!
  Old  January 4th, 2005, 11:11pm     #14
hope2win2day
Master Sweeper

Cool
I agree with the others. I have won 7 trips so far and numerous other prizes large and small on the radio. Don't give up. Don't assume that they have their caller, just keep dialing till you hear them announce the winner. Don't assume that you missed the que to call; if in doubt call the station. On Sundays evenings, check the websites for upcoming sweeps that week. Enter what you can online and be sure to read the rules. I've found it really doesn't matter which phone you dial in on. Just pay attention to the radio and BE PERSISTANT! Most of all, have fun!
  Old  January 4th, 2005, 11:21pm     #15
wrxrob
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermaier
If you are calling from work and have a multiple line phone, use all the lines at the same time. Just dial, hit hold, hit the next line, redial, hold, etc and keep going back to check if you are ringing/busy on those on hold. I've had two lines ringing at the same time before doing this and have won often, although I am selective on what I try to win.
Very Nice idea

Now, time to get that radio in the office. I usually stumble upon the contests while driving in the car.

Besides that point, I've won numerous prizes over the past few years online through my local radio station. Online is different though.