Old  August 29th, 2004, 10:52pm     #1
Joyful_Sweeps
Senior Master Sweeper

Why Are There So Many Elderly PCH winners?
Just something I've noticed. The newest winners featured on their page seem a tad bit over the hill. They also don't look very healthy either. It kinda seems like they are hoping they'll pass away before getting their full reward. I hope I'm not some kind of jerk for thinking this. I'm just jealous I guess.

Old  August 29th, 2004, 11:04pm     #2
asharee
Senior Sweeper

I'll have to check out their page. But I do notice most of their winners are older and have a house. I've never seen anyone from a big city win, or from the ghetto or anyone who lives in an apartment correct me if I am wrong.
  Old  August 29th, 2004, 11:05pm     #3
Lacey888
Master Sweeper

Question Because
1)The money is paid in an annuity and they will likely die before the money is paid to them? 2) More elderly people enter the sweepstakes?

Probably number 2 as most young people see the envelope and throw it away, or feel that they don't have a chance if they don't buy.

Lenita is a cheap lying substitute who didn't have the smarts or the talent to make it
without deceit. Nothing is as good as the original.
  Old  August 29th, 2004, 11:07pm     #4
asharee
Senior Sweeper

Yeah that also. A lot of elders are retired and have more time to play for contests and apply for PCH and pay for their magazines so more of them end up winning. But if they pass away does the money stop coming or is it passed down to the next of kin. Sorry to sound morbid but I'm curious now.
  Old  August 29th, 2004, 11:17pm     #5
ldeshane
Senior Sweeper

That way they don't.........
Have to Pay the full amount!
  Old  August 29th, 2004, 11:20pm     #6
Lacey888
Master Sweeper

I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that it can't be willed. They could sell the annuity legally (like taking a loan on it) and get the cash up front. The cash is discounted though like with the lottery, meaning that it would be a fraction of the original amount. Obviously if they did it that way they could leave it to family.

Lenita is a cheap lying substitute who didn't have the smarts or the talent to make it
without deceit. Nothing is as good as the original.
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 9:34am     #7
Jill930
Master Sweeper

Talking
Because it takes that long to actually win the damned thing!
I've been entering it for about 17 years. I've only got another 33 years of entering before I'm eligible to win!

see my wins
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 9:49am     #8
brandiphil
Senior Sweeper

I still think that you have a better chance of winning if you buy magazines, regardless of what they say.

When my great-grandmother's boyfriend was put in a retirement home, we had to go through their garage, magazines galore.

Brandi

My wins
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 10:03am     #9
MisConduckt
Master Sweeper

I have always noticed the elderly win more often...my sweet granny used to order mags just because she felt like she had to for an entry...she has magazines such as young miss and one for expectant mothers, hunting mags...you name she has it...all stuffed under the bed so my grandpaw wont find them....she is only 88 and after all miracles do happen

Insanity is repeating the same behavior over and over again expecting different results
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 10:12am     #10
bjdotson
Grand Master Sweeper

When you win an annuity, they send a check every year for the described number of years. The ownership of that annuity would pass on to the next of kin without a will or to anybody named in a will.

One problem,

Say you win a million dollars paid out at 50,000 a year for 20 years, you would pay income taxes on the 50 grand each year; but if you die, you heirs would owe the taxes ON THE WHOLE AMOUNT LEFT, even though they would only get the 50 grand a year. Usually what happens is the heirs make a payment plan with the IRS and they might not see any of the money for years.

Brent D.

Old  August 30th, 2004, 10:21am     #11
Mamaw5
Master Sweeper

I think I,m going to quit entering, maybe one of you will win next time.
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 10:23am     #12
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

here's the answer
I have been trying to win since I was young, good looking and healthy. Now that I'm getting on in years, I still haven't won. Who knows if the prize patrol will ever find my house!

I did have a dream about winning PCH a few weeks ago. In my dream, I was wearing a parka. Guess that means I win during their super bowl drawing?
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 10:39am     #13
Helen88
Master Sweeper

Oh too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill930
Because it takes that long to actually win the damned thing!
I've been entering it for about 17 years. I've only got another 33 years of entering before I'm eligible to win!

Zap em now Karma!
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 10:55am     #14
fancyschmancy
Senior Sweeper

Im usually a positive person but Cupcake if I were to have dreamt that. It wouldve meant "A Cold Day in u-no-where" before I would win. But then again thats the way lifes been goin lately.. I cant win even a squat in the backwoods without gettin bit in the butt.. Someone toss some positive mojo over here please.!!!!
  Old  August 30th, 2004, 11:08am     #15
DMH_HRH
Master Sweeper

Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful_Sweeps
Just something I've noticed. The newest winners featured on their page seem a tad bit over the hill. They also don't look very healthy either. It kinda seems like they are hoping they'll pass away before getting their full reward. I hope I'm not some kind of jerk for thinking this. I'm just jealous I guess.

I don't know how old you are but believe me when I tell you that you need more money when you are older. Most older people who retire have to suppliment their incomes and have more medical bills. Social Security & Medicare are just not enough and most older people can't make ends meet. My husband lost his job when he was about 54 due to his plant closing down. It took him about 1 year to find another job and I swear it was because of age discrimination. So don't be jealous be glad that you're still young and can work.