Old  August 21st, 2004, 10:42pm     #1
sweepsfreak
Master Sweeper

Question Question about spybot
I have a question about spybot. I have the newest version of it on my computer, I know I just downloaded it again tonight. My question is, is this version a piece of junk? With the older versions it seemed to always pick up all the bad stuff on my computer. Now, it might get one or two files. But mostly, it's congratulations, you have no immediate threats. Yet, I'll run the new adaware SE or spysweeper (love it) and they will both catch at least 15 - 20 files. Has anyone else found this to be true for them?
  Old  August 21st, 2004, 10:56pm     #2
goodlass
Master Sweeper

Yes, in fact only today did I find it to be true. I am not sure what exactly spybot has managed to do for my computer. Am I mistaken in thinking that spybot is supposed to block adware from downloading onto my computer?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all
  Old  August 21st, 2004, 10:57pm     #3
DebiLyn
Master Sweeper

I keep Spy Sweeper running all the time. It is the best thing I've found. Adware is good I use it too but I prefer Sweeper. Try looking at www.komando.com - she has some great advise about spyware.
  Old  August 21st, 2004, 11:48pm     #4
another
Senior Sweeper

I use spybot s&d 1.3 and spyblaster 3.2 (these block stuff from getting in)

I also use adawareSE(free vesion) however it does NOT block, only finds

but you can use what adaware finds (like tracking cookies)
(read the info in the cookie) (ie click2net.com)

by adding them to your "internet options privacy" block list (under edit)

since doing this adawareSE finds nothing

finding nothing (if your protection is updated) is a GOOD sign.
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 12:02am     #5
mechurchlady
Gone Camping

Location: I am an OLS Citizen from Norwalk, California where there are lots of nuts.
I did get a notice from Spybot that I had spyware. It is just that it is very good with picking things up. You almost need two anti-spyware and 2 antiviral programs.
I have recently use housescan, McAfee and Spybot. I am getting few popups other than the ones tied to a company like Self Magazine. I have had in 8 hours with no popup blocker on about 6 to 10 bad popups. I remember getting one a minute.

No program is perfect, especially with 63,000+ viruses (McAfee is my source). Can you imagine the size of a program that searched for all of those viruses. McAfee has a calendar that lists what viruses might be appearing on a given date.

Good luck and keep aa vigilent eye on your computer.
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 1:21am     #6
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

If you delete cookies on a regular basis, you delete most all spyware before SpyBot finds it.

yad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/SosaLover/FREEval6/bunny.gif

Squirrel Butts Do Not Glow.
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 8:56am     #7
gregisme56
Master Sweeper

Spybot
Strange, I always found Spybot to be the best . I keep up on the updates and I have 1.3. I run it everyday after entering sweeps and it finds around 20 files. DSO Exploit shows up even after a Spybot delete. It is a hole in windows security, which is supposed to be harmless if Windows Updates are up-to-date. You can exclude stuff by right clicking on the dataset in the deletion list and adding it to the exclude list. I had to do it for GoldenPalace.com. I also use Ad-Aware and Registry Mechanic which sometimes finds things Spybot doesn't.

Last edited by gregisme56; August 23rd, 2004 at 7:59pm. Reason: typo
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 9:04am     #8
Angel_Eyes16
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepsfreak
I have a question about spybot. I have the newest version of it on my computer, I know I just downloaded it again tonight. My question is, is this version a piece of junk? With the older versions it seemed to always pick up all the bad stuff on my computer. Now, it might get one or two files. But mostly, it's congratulations, you have no immediate threats. Yet, I'll run the new adaware SE or spysweeper (love it) and they will both catch at least 15 - 20 files. Has anyone else found this to be true for them?
dunno bout that i never have to deal with spybot

.`){Live.x. .x.AND Let.x. .x.DIE}(`.
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 9:08am     #9
jaybat
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepsfreak
Mostly what Ad-aware gets for me is cookies and maybe Spybot isn't so concerned with them (cookies aren't that big a deal).

On the other hand ownership changes, management changes, goals change - it's always possible Spybot is accepting money to NOT report certain spyware (there are a LOT of anti-spyware apps out there that do that - usually sold through popup ads).
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 9:14am     #10
jcountry
Sweeper

I used to have Spybot. I would do the updates.

When I first downloaded it was finding like 20-30 threats every check.

Then like you said it started telling me I had 0 threats.

I haven't a clue about why it quit finding the threats. Anyway we reformatted and I don't have it anymore.

Good luck...

jcountry
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 9:26am     #11
SSquared1980
Master Sweeper

If you enabled the immunize feature in Spybot S&D - Spybot will not find any spyware on your PC. Spybot is blocking all of it. Just update every once in a while and you are protected. I have mine PC set that way. I also run Ad-Aware when I finish online. It always finds a few that Spybot missed. Spybot and Ad-Aware have different definition files. There is some overlap but they are not the same. Also, if you have multiple profiles in Windows XP - you must run spybot and Ad-Aware in every profile. Spyware is profile specific. Even if you run it in the Administrator profile it does not clear it from the entire machine. You have to scan each profile.

If you run 2 anti-virus programs at the same time - they are cancelling each other out. I am a Support Tech in IT at a private college and this seems to be a common problem. Folks think they are double protected but they aren't protected at all.

I know this is confusing, it was for me when we 1st started working with XP. PM me and I'll try to help.

Congrats to all the winners I missed!
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 3:22pm     #12
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

I have the immunize feature enabled, but once I delete those cookies and enter a few more sweeps, Spybot finds those cookies again the next time I run it.

Why is that?

BTW, I found the DSO exploit "cure" here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...flat~days=9999

yad

Old  August 22nd, 2004, 3:43pm     #13
another
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadgirl
I have the immunize feature enabled, but once I delete those cookies and enter a few more sweeps, Spybot finds those cookies again the next time I run it.

Why is that?

yad
cookies are easy to block

read the "info" in the cookie that you want to block
(cookies are text files which you can open and read)

find the site address in that cookie (ie click2net.com )

then add them to your block list

under internet options

privacy tab

click edit and add that address to "always block"

Old  August 22nd, 2004, 4:01pm     #14
sunshine92627
Senior Sweeper

I ran into a problem with spy bot yesterday. It deleted my robo form. Yesterday after i ran spybot it stated that it needed to run at start up to get rid something it couldn't access. I went to go use robo form and nothing would happen I thought that was weird but it was late and I shut of my pc. This morning it ran and robo form is what it was try to get rid of. I had to reinstall robo form And I lost all my info. Is robo form a spyware? I've had it for years with no problem. Whay all of a sudden does it think its a spyware. I've also had Spybot on my pc for about a year. Its really has me stumped on this one. any insite would be great.
Thanks, Karen
  Old  August 22nd, 2004, 7:13pm     #15
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

Spybot makes backups of everything before it removes anything. I'd check my SpyBot backup files.

Roboform is not spyware.

yad