Old  June 5th, 2018, 10:17am     #1
cvanderkodde
Sweeper

Has anyone noticed?
I know we always use the mantra "a win is a win". But has anyone noticed lately how the quality of a win has substantially diminished, especially the instant win ones? I got so excited this week when I got two notices that I had instantly won and would receive an email shortly to tell me what I won. One was from the Denny's sweeps and it wound up being "a free cup of coffee." The other was from Novasco and it was 15% off or 20% off on different items/services. Yesterday I got a $5 gift card from Pennzoil for services at their facility. It just seems to me sweepstakes have now become a way to make the enterer spend money rather than win a prize without strings attached. I did get a $25 gift card from auto zone a couple of weeks ago. There are a lot of things one can buy for 25 dollars at auto zone with out spending more money. Just saying......
  Old  June 5th, 2018, 10:47am     #2
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't believe anyone counts % off as a win.

That being said, for many years there have been small wins on sweeps. Just trinkets. It's really nothing new.

The object of a sweepstakes is to draw attention to your "product" and boost sales, etc .. some choose to offer up a varying amount that gives everybody who wins something to enjoy.. others decide to give out one huge prize and a lot of low cost items to get more "winners" without breaking the bank.

There are plenty of small wins I would be ecstatic about winning.. just because it's something I would love to try, but not enough to spend money on. A coupon for a free product helps on when you're on a limited budget.

Little items for stocking stuffers are great too! O'Reilly's had $5 gift cards in one sweeps.. some would complain that you have to buy something to get anything out of it.. I used them to get Hot Wheel cars to gift a nephew.. or little flashlights to put in the car or around the house.

I guess it would all be in the eyes of the winner.

If the win is a prize listed in the rules, then you knew ahead of time you might win that.. if it's not listed, as most % off coupons, then it's not really a win.

Congrats on winning several instants... even small.. my instant wins have diminished to near zero this year.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  June 5th, 2018, 11:52am     #3
cvanderkodde
Sweeper

Re:
Not complaining. Just making an observation. I win quite a few instants valued at approximately $5. I just won one this morning for McDonald's Shout & Share a Coke FIFA World Cup Sweepstakes & Instant Win valued at $5 for a free play. I also won a couple of weeks ago 10 coupons from Crazy Cuizine for free products valued at $100. Not complaining/ just observing and wondering if others have observed the same. I am also retired and on a fixed income. So you are absolutely right. Every little bit helps. But that being said - "a cup of coffee?" Happy sweeping! I hope you get a win win soon :-)
  Old  June 5th, 2018, 12:31pm     #4
cvanderkodde
Sweeper

It probably was wrong for me to include Dennys in my list of lesser than prizes because it was a cup of coffee. A cup of coffee is something. Today I got a notice that I won a milk shake from dennys. It's adding up :-) However the original one that I was talking about reads as such (I cut and pasted the notice)

CONGRATULATIONS!

You have won the following offer:

15% Off any purchase at www.fanatics.com

You will receive an email confirming this message (Check your spam/junk folder).
Follow the directions found in the email to claim your prize.
ONLY YOU may claim this prize as it has a one-time use prize code.
  Old  June 5th, 2018, 2:18pm     #5
carcon
Senior Master Sweeper

I agree, I always used to love the instants but now days the prizes are hardly worth my time and effort. Many times I just enter for the grand prize. I've also noticed that in years past when there were thousands of smaller prizes I almost always won something but there are so many sweepers that now I can't even win those anymore.

You've got to to prime the pump, you've got to have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself before your worthy to receive!
  Old  June 5th, 2018, 3:34pm     #6
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanderkodde View Post
It probably was wrong for me to include Dennys in my list of lesser than prizes because it was a cup of coffee. A cup of coffee is something. Today I got a notice that I won a milk shake from dennys. It's adding up :-) However the original one that I was talking about reads as such (I cut and pasted the notice)

CONGRATULATIONS!

You have won the following offer:

15% Off any purchase at www.fanatics.com

You will receive an email confirming this message (Check your spam/junk folder).
Follow the directions found in the email to claim your prize.
ONLY YOU may claim this prize as it has a one-time use prize code.

These I don't consider prizes.. as you see, they say you "won" an "offer" .. it's the equivalent of an email telling you someone else won the prize, but you get % off a purchase just for entering.

As far as Denny's .. it may be good for someone who goes there often.. I would have to win one of the larger food prizes to make it worth a drive into the big city.. but I had so much issues with the graphics, I don't try anymore.. some prizes work for some people while it's not worth it for others.. and we have some generous people here who offer up codes for some of these smaller prizes for free to others! I think of them as "pay it forward" wins!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  June 5th, 2018, 5:43pm     #7
Ashook
Senior Master Sweeper

..to me, if I have to shell out any money it's not a win..JMO.. Congratulations on your wins

MY WINS Could you spare some box tops?
FSOT
http://frvetere.blogspot.com/
  Old  June 6th, 2018, 11:05am     #8
cvanderkodde
Sweeper

Re
Thanks guys, I agree with everything you said. I would love to give the coupons to someone who can use them. How do I do that? Yes, I was definitely going for the more bigger prizes. If you don't play, you can't win.
  Old  June 6th, 2018, 12:12pm     #9
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

I would normally be right there whining with you and I use to win bigly and it's been dry! But for the past week I have won a $500 gift card, $25 gift card, Hair products from the Real that are worth $128 retail. The beginning of last month, a $65 check surprise win showed up from Chevas Regal, I think.

I believe it's all due to my lucky money candle! My other one I had for years broke and I tossed it and didnt get a new one. Broke down and finally found a replacement somewhere online and my wins started happening again. ok, maybe I'm silly superstitious and I'm just entering consistently again and it's not just the candle.
  Old  June 6th, 2018, 3:46pm     #10
implode
Master Sweeper

Funny thing on the 15% off fanatics thing you are referencing...I have a post where I've listed every discount code I've won. Find it an amusing tribute to the futility of actually winning.

Hall of Fame Winner of BMW i3!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of a trip to NZ!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of $10,000!!!
Hall of Fame winner of Super Bowl Trip!!!
  Old  June 12th, 2018, 11:48am     #11
cvanderkodde
Sweeper

Re; Noticing
Great wins !!!!!!:

And I'm thinking the same thing about those discount codes :-) Ya gotta love it! :-)

Yes that $65 win from Chivas Regal was a great surprise and a blessing!
Happy sweeping everyone -)
  Old  June 12th, 2018, 2:37pm     #12
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

I am grateful for this post. I was thinking recently that the forum has gone down hill. In the past there were real post with discussions (like this one). Now, I won, happy birthday, and the resurrected "no one reads post" that have inane one liners, or "what are you pondering about' that are also one liner that promote little or no discussion. I rarely comment anymore, nothing to comment on.
  Old  June 15th, 2018, 11:38am     #13
dmp2392
Junior Sweeper

Arrow
I don't consider coupons or %off products to be a win, or digital downloads for wallpapers and stuff like that. Other than that I consider it a win. I've won a sharpie marker, $25 visa gc, and $6 fandango now code in the past couple weeks on IWG's. I consider those good, albeit small wins. Also, I won an "exercise experience" in that michelob IWG a couple months ago which was like a free trial on an exercise app or % off 18 wholes of golf. I don't consider that a win
  Old  June 15th, 2018, 1:39pm     #14
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

My mantra has always been "If you have to pay, it's not a prize"
  Old  June 15th, 2018, 11:14pm     #15
newz77
Master Sweeper

You might consider these sweeps from the company's perspective. It comes from the advertising budget and is called a promotion. They do it to increase sales, and to increase brand recognition. If they can get you to try something, maybe they can convert you into a more frequent customer.