Old  April 13th, 2018, 1:39pm     #1
flash112
Senior Sweeper

Running into problems selling my sweeps wins on eBay...Scammers.
Recently I sold a gift card (under $100) to someone with 25,000 feedback (99% positive) that requested via the eBay messaging center that I send the code to him online. So I did. Within a few hours a claim was filed with eBay and PayPal saying he didn't authorize the purchase and his account was hacked. Of course, the gift card has been redeemed.

Many times in the past, I have honored requests for the code to be sent to the buyer online and all went well. Now it's been about 5-6 days since the dispute started and the buyer did a bank reversal.

Even though I have proof of the online request, Paypal doesn't offer me any protection. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and I hope I get some traction that way. Going forward I certainly won't honor any requests for online codes.

A couple of days ago someone purchased one of my electronic wins ($150) that I put on eBay. I go to prepare his package for shipping and notice a strange address:

3501 Jk Noth Av Ave Ste 12345
Hawthorne, CA 90250-4433

So, of course, I google the address. It's a mail forwarding service that will transfer mail to overseas buyers. Apparently a number of eBay sellers are wary of shipping to mail forwarding addresses/companies because many of the buyers turn out to be scammers that upon receipt of the package say the item is damaged or the box is empty. Then they file a claim and get their money back and keep the item.

After learning this, I can't take anymore eBay/PayPal drama and I simply cancel the order. The buyer retaliates with negative feedback. I got my first negative today.

Do you think I did the right thing?

For the past week, I have been researching the scam tactics that people use with eBay/PayPal and I'm pretty paranoid now. It seems like hacking accounts and scamming is growing and I wonder what eBay and PayPal are doing about it.

I don't feel like I can trust the buyers and for the first time I am very hesitant about selling there. Until now, my transactions have gone smoothly.

What are your thoughts on this? TIA.
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 2:13pm     #2
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

First, ebay does not allow digital transfers of gift cards, etc... according to their rules, it must be mailed.. so I can't see them helping at all.

If I do a digital code and send it via ebay messaging, I know I am taking a chance to lose it.

As for forwarding addresses, I never heard of that and will now have to keep a lookout.

I've only had one issue with a package not getting delivered because the address wasn't correct and learned that ebay does some address verification you should look for, but have no idea how that works. I'm not sure it that just makes sure the address can be delivered to , which in your case, it would be.

I think most people who do ebay have to assume there is scamming as it has apparently become the way of the world now.

I doubt paypal is even insured to provide safety to it's users.

When it gets to the point where I will be more likely scammed than make a good sale, I probably will give up with any online selling.

Did you call ebay about the negative mark? If you have to cancel again, maybe put it as cancelled at customer's request and deal with what comes of it later? That won't go against you. Ebay does not make it easy to cancel sales without consequences. That's why I keep all messages emailed to me in a folder when I get a message from a buyer or seller.

I just had a buyer contact me to cancel what they bought saying they did it by accident ( someone with 0 sales ) .. I have no clue how you can accidentally commit to a sale as it's always been more than a one-step process for me.

Speaking of which.. did this person who has the fishy address have a lot of feedback? You can always limit sales to people with more than XX positive feedback.. Post that info in your listing.. it would give you a reason to cancel an order.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 2:23pm     #3
flash112
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Speaking of which.. did this person who has the fishy address have a lot of feedback? You can always limit sales to people with more than XX positive feedback.. Post that info in your listing.. it would give you a reason to cancel an order.
He only had 28 feedback.
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 2:44pm     #4
allycat
Senior Master Sweeper

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I have sold a few gift cards, and a game code. The game code was my first sale like that, and I didn't know (at that time) that we shouldn't send codes via messages. Luckily, mine turned out okay. After I read all the scam info, and found out that gift cards should be mailed, that is what I have done. - again, fingers crossed, everything has turned out fine.

When I mail a gift card, I let them know that I'm going to check the balance, do a print out showing the amount the day I mail it, and write them a note that I've saved all this information so there is proof. Again, I've been lucky so far. I have had people "buy" an item and then tell me they did it by accident, or that they don't want it. I cancel the order, and so far it's all been okay. A few times, people just don't pay and I let ebay handle it. The item will then be relisted (after about a week). I make a little money from ebay so I guess it's worth it, but it's so sad that the scammers are getting away with so much. I mainly just sell stuff from my home, or clothes I no longer want. I don't really sell my wins because I love all my sweepstakes wins!! Good luck to you.

allycat
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 3:04pm     #5
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycat View Post
A few times, people just don't pay and I let ebay handle it. The item will then be relisted (after about a week). I make a little money from ebay so I guess it's worth it, but it's so sad that the scammers are getting away with so much. I mainly just sell stuff from my home, or clothes I no longer want. I don't really sell my wins because I love all my sweepstakes wins!! Good luck to you.

Yes, I also have ebay set to automatically do an unpaid item on an item after so many days. And the majority of what I sell is stuff I don't use anymore, though I have a few sweep wins when I don't win the prize I really wanted.. but those usually sell for peanuts. Some people sell so low, I can't figure out how they get anything after paying fees and shipping!

I wouldn't have it easy with local sales because people are so far away here.. I try on OLS traders but that has dropped down to few using it.. and I've only had an issue once through that but it was not getting paid and the code was still good to sell to someone else.

I will set some items needing at least 10 for a positive feedback as I've seen others do that... but then in your case, he/she had 25 and those could be from selling, not buying. I'm not sure about specifying they must have 40 positive feedback for buying specifically.. I guess it still would give you something to keep negative feedback from coming your way by telling ebay the buyer didn't qualify.

Don't forget to block that buyer now...

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 7:13pm     #6
suzieque810
Senior Master Sweeper

I won't ship to International buyers, that being said, I forgot to check that box on my last ebay listing of an Iphone 6S. After the auction, I realized it was International and purchased my shipping through Paypal which gave me a tracking number. The buyer insisted on First Class International (which is super slow). When she didn't receive it after a week, she filed with Paypal saying the item had never been received. No, it hadn't, it was still in process. Luckily Paypal has my back and they will not allow her to proceed with the claim until verification that the package has bee delivered. Paypal did place a hold on my funds but that is okay with me. there is proof of shipping.

My 2009 Wins
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 8:26pm     #7
sweepingangel
Master Sweeper

I get freight forwarders every once in a while.
What saves me is I have signature required upon delivery.
This way, they can't say they never received or product was damaged after the over seas person finally receives it.
It shows delivered to the address requested.
The only problem with eBay these days is their new rules that protect the buyer/scammers.
Free shipping and free returns for 30 days is ridiculous. Now you'll have people buy and return after they've rented it for a few weeks and no longer want it.
I won't due this so as of June 1st, I'll lose my Top Rated Seller status.
  Old  April 13th, 2018, 8:51pm     #8
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque810 View Post
I won't ship to International buyers, that being said, I forgot to check that box on my last ebay listing of an Iphone 6S..
My listings have no international shipping always.. I marked it once in my preferences and it stays that way. I did have one person buy and then realize after the fact I didn't ship so I had to cancel the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepingangel View Post
I get freight forwarders every once in a while.
What saves me is I have signature required upon delivery.
Do you put this on only expensive items? It's an additional $2 something isn't it? I think I put it on a few times when I wasn't too sure of the person it was going to.. I once asked a buyer who lived in NY if they wanted a siggy required since it was obviously an apt. building but he said the doorman was good about the mail and said it wasn't needed.

I haven't used it since way back when I first started ebay and was worried about everything I mailed out not getting delivered, but maybe I should start using it again on expensive items. I keep thinking about all those packages they keep showing in the news getting stolen off porches!

I also learned to use USPS insurance if I had to increase the cost. I didn't realize the default is some third party .. had to claim once.. the claim went through, but didn't cover the $26 shipping cost! Luckily I worked out a deal with the buyer since he got to keep the broken item and could use the parts so agreed to split the postage cost with me. The return of the ebay and paypal fees covered my share so I nearly got 100% of what I would have gotten if the sale went through fine.

Old  April 13th, 2018, 9:30pm     #9
sweepingangel
Master Sweeper

It is required to have PayPal protection if it's valued over $750. Anything under that just needs a tracking number.
Most of my items are expensive. A lot are less than $750, but I do the signature required anyways.
I haven't checked the price of it for a while, so I'm not sure of the cost.

You don't have do it unless it's going to a freight forwarder, just for extra protection. Other wise, the tracking showing delivered to the requested address is all you need and eBay will close the case in your favor if someone says they never received.
  Old  April 14th, 2018, 4:35am     #10
AlwaysLearning
Sweeper

If it's going to a freight forwarder, you should insist on signature only, so you're not liable. Once the freight forwarder receives and signs for it, you're off the hook.

You might try stipulating that you only ship to US residential addresses only (no UPS stores, freight forwarders), etc. I'd check to see if that's OK with ebay first, though.
  Old  April 14th, 2018, 9:44am     #11
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I'll have to keep an eye on the addresses. I did have one suite address in California and that was the one who said the item was damaged.. and in the tracking, it was "lost" for several days and turned out to be an issue with a sub delivering it.. apparently jamming it into the box and the door not shutting.. anyway, the tracking info itself was enough to get the insurance claim.

Old  April 14th, 2018, 8:46pm     #12
sottovoce
Senior Master Sweeper

Huh! You think sponsors read these posts? I wonder why they don't like professional sweepers. I didn't understand that term until reading this thread. Personally, I don't sell wins. I enter because I want the prize.

Brent Toady!
  Old  April 14th, 2018, 9:22pm     #13
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sottovoce View Post
Huh! You think sponsors read these posts? I wonder why they don't like professional sweepers. I didn't understand that term until reading this thread. Personally, I don't sell wins. I enter because I want the prize.
I'm sure they don't have to read this post to know wins get sold off.

Many of us try to win a specific prize but end up with one we don't need or can't use. Sometimes it gets donated. Sometimes given as a gift.. and some of us can use cash so we sell it or trade it here.

I won a car with 2 wheel drive. I asked if I could upgrade ( pay the difference ) to get an AWD which is what we need here. The rules stated any upgrades were the responsibility of the winner. The SPONSOR told me I couldn't upgrade but when I got the car I could sell it or trade it.

Old  April 14th, 2018, 11:44pm     #14
juicer
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sottovoce View Post
Most sponsors don't give two shakes about "professional sweepers". There are some smaller companies and/or bloggers who care, but not many. A person can do whatever they want with an item once they receive it.
  Old  April 15th, 2018, 7:23am     #15
jcmiller37
Sweeper

Drama or karma?
If you truly want to stop the "drama", use the gift card you won. That's what honest people do.