Old  February 11th, 2018, 11:35am     #1
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

2018 Savings tips
One of my yearly resolutions is to save money. Whether it's for a vacation, daughters wedding or botox ��.

One year I did the 52 week challenge and It worked pretty well despite missing a few weeks here and there.

Last week I found a cool app savings tool. There are different choices how you want to save. I chose to round up all my purchases to the nearest dollar. In one week it's at 25.00. So a $12.50 purchase will be rounded up to $13 and the .50 cents goes into my account.

This link will give you a automatic $5 after signing up. Its FDIC insured also. This will work better for me because I don't have to remember anything

It also halts transfers if your bank account is too low to prevent over drafts.

https://get.qapital.com/bzAc/S5iVK328rK

List your succesful tips for saving money too!!

Last edited by triple*eee; February 11th, 2018 at 3:25pm.
  Old  February 11th, 2018, 12:03pm     #2
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

Here is the 52 week challenge I did one year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180211-102754.jpg (102.3 KB, 120 views)
  Old  February 11th, 2018, 2:04pm     #3
OnwardsAndUpward
Senior Sweeper

I linked my Fitbit to the Achievement app. It takes months to reach $10, but it helps and encourages me to be healthy.
  Old  February 11th, 2018, 3:27pm     #4
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnwardsAndUpward View Post
I linked my Fitbit to the Achievement app. It takes months to reach $10, but it helps and encourages me to be healthy.
Getting healthier is another yearly resolution of mine. I try not to say "lose weight."

I just try and exercise and make better food choices.
  Old  February 13th, 2018, 5:27pm     #5
JeffTheGreat
Master Sweeper

Money saving tip: first; cancel your smart phone and sell it on ebay. Then buy an ordinary prepaid cell phone for about $20 and find an annual pre-paid plan for as little as $100 per year. You will save THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS !

Old  February 13th, 2018, 6:47pm     #6
awssm
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffthegreat View Post
money saving tip: First; cancel your smart phone and sell it on ebay. Then buy an ordinary prepaid cell phone for about $20 and find an annual pre-paid plan for as little as $100 per year. You will save thousands of dollars !
yep!!!

America: Love it or give it back.
  Old  February 13th, 2018, 8:48pm     #7
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheGreat View Post
Money saving tip: first; cancel your smart phone and sell it on ebay. Then buy an ordinary prepaid cell phone for about $20 and find an annual pre-paid plan for as little as $100 per year. You will save THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS !

You are definitely correct.
  Old  February 13th, 2018, 9:12pm     #8
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheGreat View Post
I bought a smart phone including a year of service for $120. It's a decent smartphone too.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  February 14th, 2018, 6:37pm     #9
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I bought a smart phone including a year of service for $120. It's a decent smartphone too.

... name of company?
  Old  February 14th, 2018, 7:12pm     #10
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyv01510 View Post
... name of company?
I bought it at HSN over Christmas, it's a Tracfone. I only buy them on Christmas, the one I have now is 14 months old and I plan on buying a new one next Christmas. I rarely talk on mine, mostly text or use when away from home to check email or use apps.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  February 14th, 2018, 9:55pm     #11
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

Don't pay for cable tv. Try Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime. Or just use your computer to watch shows for free! Just do a search and eventually you will find a web site that will allow you to stream shows at no charge. I use my iPad for tv.
  Old  February 15th, 2018, 9:51am     #12
Ashook
Master Sweeper

..we started saving all $5 bills that we get..

MY WINS Could you spare some box tops?
FSOT
http://frvetere.blogspot.com/
  Old  February 15th, 2018, 12:44pm     #13
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoGirl View Post
Don't pay for cable tv. Try Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime. Or just use your computer to watch shows for free! Just do a search and eventually you will find a web site that will allow you to stream shows at no charge. I use my iPad for tv.
We are getting ready to dump cable. I already have Netflix and Hulu/Amazon Prime.

I also use my computer.

I get my news/weather from my phone daily anyway.
  Old  February 19th, 2018, 4:12pm     #14
Miki
Grand Master Sweeper

We are doing the change challenge. We have big containers to separate our change. We drop ALL of our change into the containers at the end of the day. We are less likely to spend $1 coins or $2 bills, so I also pick those up here and there to put away.

I also watch/read Dave Ramsey tips. We haven't started following all of his tips yet, BUT we have paid off a couple of debts since we are now working on debt as a team. We still have a long ways to go, but it is a start! There are thousands of websites with great tips, so I don't spend money on budgeting/debt books. You can also print budget plans and such. Check the library if you want to read the books.

I am planning to go and open a Christmas Club account at our bank. You can generally open the club for around $5. They will send a check with your Christmas savings around Thanksgiving time. They also have a penalty on withdrawing money before it is time. This prevents the saver from wanting to take money out of the account before Christmas.

We are looking into cancelling DirecTV soon. My son has Netflix, and I have Amazon Student Prime with free Amazon video. Speaking of Amazon Student Prime, I have a personal link if any college students would like it. I pay $49 a year for the membership since I'm a student.

I'm dropping a device from my cell phone contract at the end of the month. It will save $13-$15 per month. If you are in a contract, check to see what school or employment discounts they offer. They give me an 8% monthly discount from my college.

Don't forget to use coupons, rewards programs, shop clearance shelves, etc.

SWAGBUCKS
"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
  Old  February 19th, 2018, 5:04pm     #15
hkh220
Sweeper

I automatically have my bank transfer 50 dollars every Friday into my savings.. every two weeks it takes out an extra 20 dollars...I usually will transfer an extra fifty on Monday if I have any left over from weekend fun ( I have a separate account with my husband that we pay our mortgage other bills with..So this is my leftover money ). My goal is for my savings to be back up to $10,000 by then end of the year..I am getting closer to my goal !!