Old  December 4th, 2017, 6:42pm     #1
laura264
Master Sweeper

Can't tell if I'm being scammed or not
I checked my phone messages today...which I only do a few times a week. A man named Christopher Miller told me this was the third and final attempt he was making to contact me. He said if he did not hear from me today by 4 pm he would issue a summons. He left his return phone number and a file number. I have no idea why I would be getting a summons. So I returned his call and got a recording of music. Nobody saying I was being put on hold or anything. After a minute or so I hung up and tried to look him up on a reverse phone number website. The number came up as unlisted in Texas. After I saw that I replayed the message. He never said he was a lawyer and I'm thinking he would have to say that, right? I can't figure out if I should be worried or if it's just some new kind of scam. I miss the good ol' days when you knew right away. Either by instantly recognizing it as a telemarketer or the emails that always started out "Good day..."
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 6:53pm     #2
joshm367
Senior Sweeper

You can't get summoned by missing phone calls. Legal issues have to be done through the mail.
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 6:57pm     #3
Vanosa
Master Sweeper

Sounds "fishy" to me! Many people are being duped these days, by intimidation tactics, via email or phone. Don't assume that he's on the "up & up," and investigate further; report him (to whom I'm not sure) if he's a scammer.

"There are no guarantees in life, but hope and prayer will carry you through." (V.Mayer)
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 6:57pm     #4
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

It is a scam. Don't respond to it.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 7:00pm     #5
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

see if you get anything using this site for reversed look up.. if it's still the one I used to use, they will list comments from others receiving calls from that number..

https://800notes.com/

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 7:05pm     #6
12nascarnewman
Sweeper

Definitely a scam

Danielle

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...1#post11403721
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 7:05pm     #7
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

Sounds like a scam. I got a similar message a few days ago and deleted it.
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 7:13pm     #8
ContestScott33
Master Sweeper

Yes a scam. He will then say something like pay $$$ then this will go away.

MY WINS!!! last win (01/30/2017)
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 9:09pm     #9
Regina Fillangie
Sweeper

It's a scam. I get those calls at least once a week. Nothing ever happens.

Look up those kinds of phone numbers on this website. Comments will tell you what kind of calls they are.

https://whocallsme.com/

Shop, earn points and get rewards just for being a fan of Yankee Candle. Join now and start earning, and redeem points for Yankee products when ever you want!

https://www.ycrewards.com/earn-point...efer=7Y0Q-3430
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 9:37pm     #10
wottahuzzee
Senior Master Sweeper

I have gotten those calls too. They are going to serve you papers, or some such crap. They have been retained by another company to serve you, blah, blah, blah. They even called for me on my husband's cell phone.

I had to laugh at them because I know for a fact in Florida, where I live, we do not have process servers. All summons, etc are served by your local county's sheriff's office by a deputy.

They will try to get money out of you to settle it so you don't have to be served and go to court. Just another scam, like the IRS scam or microsoft/computer virus thing.

I hate scammers. They should be drug out of their houses or offices and be beaten in the street by their victims. Yeah, I am feeling a little medieval today.

My ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/blueskiesmercantile
  Old  December 4th, 2017, 10:20pm     #11
Urlik
Master Sweeper

Another vote for SCAM

My 2017 Wins
  Old  December 5th, 2017, 1:28am     #12
Ishy
Master Sweeper

block that number!
A summons will come thru the sheriffs department in the worst case scenario, and that just lets you know there is a pending legal matter you need to come settle or get a lawyer to settle

I miss the days when the phone rang and there was someone you WANTED to talk to calling.

Ishy
  Old  December 5th, 2017, 10:16am     #13
lbz1947
Senior Sweeper

Angry
See if you can file a report against them with that phone number-I think our local sheriffs dept will try to help where we are. It can't hurt because he is threatening you with a summon which is legal.
  Old  December 5th, 2017, 1:28pm     #14
laura264
Master Sweeper

I feel like such an idiot. The message was so convincing...to the point that I almost started to cry. I checked the number with the website links you all gave me and a few people said the same thing. I posted about it and I will see if I can report him. T

Thank you so much for all your help everyone!! Best of luck with your sweeping!
  Old  December 5th, 2017, 2:06pm     #15
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura264 View Post
I feel like such an idiot. The message was so convincing...to the point that I almost started to cry. I checked the number with the website links you all gave me and a few people said the same thing. I posted about it and I will see if I can report him. T

Thank you so much for all your help everyone!! Best of luck with your sweeping!
Don't feel like an idiot. They do sound convincing. If I have the extra time, and they call, I like to play with them, lol..

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.