Old  August 2nd, 2017, 7:12am     #1
LuckySkunky
Master Sweeper

It is mind blowing once you realize how little you matter
Not talking about kids you matter a lot to kids but the adults you come across at work and out and about what you do matters so little.

I had a mind blowing experince a couple days ago at my work. I came to the realization it doesn't matter how GOOD I am people are just going to focus on the negative. For the last 3 days I have literally shut off my personality like a lightswitch. People are no longer going to see the fun side of me. I am just not going to care about much. I will go in do my work and go home. When I'm out in public I will do the same. I will not talk to people unless I have too. I will not be my fun joking self anymore. Someone at my work said I need medication and in the same converstion said how fun I am to be around. ummm excuse me? Confused much?

Not any more it will be shut off. Realizing how little you matter in this world is quite the revolation. Dont joke , don't complain , don't care just live to serve others.

Last edited by LuckySkunky; August 3rd, 2017 at 8:00am.

Give Kids the World http://www.gktw.org
  Old  August 2nd, 2017, 9:07am     #2
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Are you gettin' all existentialist?
  Old  August 2nd, 2017, 9:24am     #3
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Question
Are you sure that you are not shooting yourself in the foot? Not caring is a difficult task.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  August 2nd, 2017, 9:58am     #4
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Just be yourself, LuckySkunky.

It is the easiest and most satisfying thing in the world.

This way you will learn who likes you just the way you are and you will weed out those who don't.

Also, and here's my tip for happiness regarding others ... expect nothing and you will be pleasantly surprised now and then.

When appropriate, I also find using the NY salute equally satisfying.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  August 2nd, 2017, 8:39pm     #5
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

thank you Luckyskunky you helped me reset today!

I was letting things that are neutral or good become negative for whatever reasons, nothing good. I had forgotten that sometimes you have to just go with the flow.

It's not someone loses and someone wins.

It's just be happy like that silly Carribbean song.

Old  August 8th, 2017, 1:45am     #6
LuckySkunky
Master Sweeper

OH this has been an absolutely fabulous experience for me. I go into work say hi to people but other than that unless the people I work with say anything to me I don't say anything to them. I don't care one bit about what they do or didn't do. I just come in do my job ( most of the time do theirs too ) and don't care. It is so peaceful and wonderful!

Silence IS golden! It's fantastic

no more jokes no more playing just turn off my personality and it's wonderful

Old  August 8th, 2017, 9:05am     #7
Kahned1
Grand Master Sweeper

my heart breaks for you! I had this happen as well & it really is eye opening. No worries- it's NOT about us, it's about others anyway. The right people will come along that are gentle, patient, kind and loving and one day- someone is going to love you back so much you won't know how you ever lived in a world that wasn't so warm

Old  August 8th, 2017, 12:07pm     #8
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Actually, we ALL matter.. and you may never ever know about how you touched someone else's life. you may say hi or even just smile at some stranger and to you it was unimportant, but to that person, it meant the world.

It's little things we all do and never think about or even know about that could impact someone else.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  August 8th, 2017, 3:52pm     #9
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Actually, we ALL matter.. and you may never ever know about how you touched someone else's life. you may say hi or even just smile at some stranger and to you it was unimportant, but to that person, it meant the world.

It's little things we all do and never think about or even know about that could impact someone else.
Well said Bomar! This was the whole point of the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life." OP, perhaps you should watch this film to see what Bomar means.
  Old  August 8th, 2017, 4:59pm     #10
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post

I remember once when my son was two, we were on the bus and he started laughing. I looked out the window to see what he was laughing at and the driver of the car next to us was making silly faces at him while waiting for the light to change. It's been over 30 years and that still makes me smile now and then.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  August 11th, 2017, 9:32am     #11
Kahned1
Grand Master Sweeper

Here's the thing, it's TOUGH to accept... We may NOT matter even to folks we see daily!

I tend to lean towards trying to let folks know they matter to me- my cashiers, I know their whole life stories (sometimes, in more detail than I want) the folks I visit on a regular for various purposes...

I've had a unique opportunity to watch my SIL and how she treats folks- often, unless they have a use she has zero 'love' for them. Then further her parents- which operated much the same. I tried to encourage my husband to always notice staff, our regular folks we see around town... I'm horrible with names- but, I can always tell him that this is my regular cashier and a few details on her life. I've made some amazing friends that way and had a heck of a lot of fun with them.

Old  August 11th, 2017, 2:54pm     #12
LuckySkunky
Master Sweeper

"Here's the thing, it's TOUGH to accept... We may NOT matter even to folks we see daily!"

YOU GOT IT! You get it ! I have worked with about 6 of the same people for 5 years and I know I really really do not matter to any of them. Life still goes on for them wether I exist or not. Nothing would change for them if I just one day POOF.

I think the extent of this is so great and people do not even realize it. In massive universe we all matter so little in the grand scheme of things it's amazing.

Old  August 11th, 2017, 6:34pm     #13
gypsylover
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
Just be yourself, LuckySkunky.

It is the easiest and most satisfying thing in the world.
WORD duknuk!

Here's an even more mind blowing revelation LuckySkunky, one that I'm not sure if you'll find helpful or not but it's always put everything in perfect perspective for me

Old  August 12th, 2017, 12:13am     #14
jgates8
Senior Sweeper

Do you realize just how much you DO matter?

Look at that link in your signature.

If even one person on this board clicks that link & makes a donation to GKTW, do you know how much your caring and sharing of that link made a difference in the life of a child?

Take a look in the mirror, be proud of yourself and do not worry about what the people you work with think.

6/07? - $500 Airfare 2/08 - Disney Trip, 8/08 - Florida trip, 11/08 - Bike GPS, 3/09 - Allure bag w/Aveeno Products, 3/09 - Advil product, 5/09 - Tylenol Backpack, 7/09-$200 Pamida GC, 08/09-Beautifix Gift Box, 10/10-$250 Kelloggs, 9/11-OldWisc Packer win - 2 Club Tix/merch. 5/12-AC Trip & Macys/HD GCs, 8/12-2012 Harley Trike, 2014-$75 Dollar Tree, $25 Snickers. 2015-$300GC & 4 Country Inn Nights, Pepsi 3 $200 Live Nation Concert Cash.
  Old  August 12th, 2017, 2:18am     #15
Libra
Master Sweeper

My MIL forgets my kids' birthdays. She doesn't buy them Xmas presents & if she does, she doesn't wrap them. Gives them to them in bags, weeks after Xmas. That'd be one thing if she was like that with everyone, or all of her grandkids, but she's not. She took my niece to the beach for her birthday.

My MIL's bday is 10 days after my son's. When she didn't reach out to my son on his birthday, for many years in a row, when her birthday came around, I just didn't do anything. I felt petty & like I was going against everything I try to live by (behave in a way that makes you proud & don't lower yourself for others, make people feel special, kindness costs you nothing, etc), but my best friend told me something:

My MIL was trying to show & tell us the kind of relationship she wants, for almost two decades now, I just haven't listened. It's illogical to expect her to change at this point. It's time to invest my energy elsewhere.

So I figure, if you're using this newly free energy to do good things, awesome. If not, you'll know if you're being petty or not & make a change.