Old  May 15th, 2017, 4:06pm     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

New Apple power cord
My cord is falling apart! The outer covering is just flaking away near the magnet attachment.

This is the 2nd cord... the first one was the T connector that Apple replaced free because of strain. This one is the L connector. I contacted Apple since some say that the Apple store has replaced these for them.. and really, with the cost of an Apple, the cord shouldn't be just deteriorating.

Well, no luck...

A new one costs around $79 which is a bit more than I have right now.. I'm managing ok with the cord, have shrink wrap over the wire, but can't get it to shrink enough to tighten on.. and I move the cord over the screen and it stays on.

I found some on ebay that were supposed to be Apple products, but then after ordering saw a few post about the product burning up and not really being an Apple charger.

The company never shipped it so I'm supposed to be getting a refund... another thing I have to wait for since apparently even though they issued a refund through ebay, it takes a while because I don't have it yet..

So I'm wondering if anyone has had to replace theirs and if they just went with Apple or if they found a legit place to save a few bucks.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  May 15th, 2017, 4:20pm     #2
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

You can try Walmart or Big Lots for compatible cords.
  Old  May 15th, 2017, 8:21pm     #3
Nana*2*4
Senior Master Sweeper

I have bought mine at Best Buy, no deals just full price S˘rry

Dance..as though no one is watching,
Love....as though you have never been hurt before,
Sing.....as though no one can hear you,
Live......as though heaven is on earth ....Souza
  Old  May 15th, 2017, 8:31pm     #4
clc408
Senior Master Sweeper

Mine is doing the same thing. It's a common problem with these cords and Apple should replace them and correct the problem. I haven't found any deals on a replacement either. I'd be wary of anything other than a genuine Apple product for fear of damaging the computer.
  Old  May 15th, 2017, 9:14pm     #5
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc408 View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. It's a common problem with these cords and Apple should replace them and correct the problem. I haven't found any deals on a replacement either. I'd be wary of anything other than a genuine Apple product for fear of damaging the computer.
That's just it... the computer is 8 years old and the battery isn't holding too long so I have to keep it plugged in most of the time.. but even so, at least it works... I don't want to burn it out because of something going haywire with the power to it.

I've seen where some will buy just the cord to the adapter and "break into" the adapter and re solder a new cord... but even that cord doesn't come from Apple.. so who knows if the magnet connection will be wired fully.

Apple is good in some ways.. but not so good in other ways...

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 3:29am     #6
minbari
Senior Master Sweeper

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/50182/...are/index.html
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 7:09am     #7
kath999
Master Sweeper

Apple regulates their prices, but you may be able to find refurbished, etc units out there--you can check amazon and bestbuy--they both offer discounts for units of not-new status.

I'm going to be replacing mine for the 2nd time, for the same reason as yours. Last time I went with a pretty highly rated generic producer from ebay. It seemed to work OK, but when my hands were resting on the laptop and my husband would touch me he would get a tiny shock. Somehow the connectors or something weren't quite right and it was running a current through my metal casing!! I ended up replacing it with an apple brand (the same one that's falling apart a year later), and have kept the other one as an emergency back-up for when this one dies suddenly (as they tend to do...). Not a lot of options in my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
My cord is falling apart! The outer covering is just flaking away near the magnet attachment.

This is the 2nd cord... the first one was the T connector that Apple replaced free because of strain. This one is the L connector. I contacted Apple since some say that the Apple store has replaced these for them.. and really, with the cost of an Apple, the cord shouldn't be just deteriorating.

Well, no luck...

A new one costs around $79 which is a bit more than I have right now.. I'm managing ok with the cord, have shrink wrap over the wire, but can't get it to shrink enough to tighten on.. and I move the cord over the screen and it stays on.

I found some on ebay that were supposed to be Apple products, but then after ordering saw a few post about the product burning up and not really being an Apple charger.

The company never shipped it so I'm supposed to be getting a refund... another thing I have to wait for since apparently even though they issued a refund through ebay, it takes a while because I don't have it yet..

So I'm wondering if anyone has had to replace theirs and if they just went with Apple or if they found a legit place to save a few bucks.
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 7:38am     #8
mjalto
Senior Sweeper

Cambond Best Cords Ever
Best cords ever. Apple certified. Have had for years and shows NO wear.
Comes in many lengths.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GZXP8U2
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 9:20am     #9
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalto View Post
It's not the usb cord... but now I wouldn't even have thought they would have an issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath999 View Post
Apple regulates their prices, but you may be able to find refurbished, etc units out there--you can check amazon and bestbuy--they both offer discounts for units of not-new status.

I'm going to be replacing mine for the 2nd time, for the same reason as yours. Last time I went with a pretty highly rated generic producer from ebay. It seemed to work OK, but when my hands were resting on the laptop and my husband would touch me he would get a tiny shock. Somehow the connectors or something weren't quite right and it was running a current through my metal casing!! I ended up replacing it with an apple brand (the same one that's falling apart a year later), and have kept the other one as an emergency back-up for when this one dies suddenly (as they tend to do...). Not a lot of options in my opinion...
Yes.. I read where the generics aren't grounded.. that is also a concern since I attract electricity like a magnet! I easily get a shock off computers whether it's dry or humid out.. also electric switches since I tend to come near the plate screw.. etc!

I'll keep this old one as a spare since it does work as long as the wire gets in a certain position. And I don't think I can wait long.. I'll order directly from Apple. It's too bad that they have such a product that people will pay more for it, yet use crap that deteriorates on their power cord. At the least they should re-design their cords to be replaceable at the unit so you don't need to buy the entire power adapter if the cord frays!

Old  May 16th, 2017, 9:21am     #10
clc408
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalto View Post

Thanks, but these don't seem to be for laptops, just iPhones, iPads and iPods. I looked for one that would work with a laptop but was unable to find one.
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 9:27am     #11
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I only hope it's worth the investment since the laptop isn't getting any younger.. and has it's quirks!

Old  May 16th, 2017, 7:27pm     #12
carcon
Senior Master Sweeper

Try wrapping it tightly with electrical tape

You've got to to prime the pump, you've got to have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself before your worthy to receive!
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 8:03pm     #13
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcon View Post
Try wrapping it tightly with electrical tape
I will do that.. and keep it as a spare.. but right now it is very touchy as to which way to hold the wire to allow it to work!

I ended up ordering through Apple. Best Buy was 99 cents more plus took longer in shipping... I found an open box at Best Buy.. $16 less... but saw it was a different model # suffix... and Best Buy had no chat, so I got with Apple and they looked it up and the one at Best Buy is an older model.. I decided to go with the newer one .. I don't want to give the cord a jump start on deteriorating again!!

Old  May 16th, 2017, 8:15pm     #14
clc408
Senior Master Sweeper

Post when you get it and let us know if it looks like they've made any changes.
  Old  May 16th, 2017, 8:24pm     #15
minbari
Senior Master Sweeper

You could try repairing your cable with heat shrink tubing. http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/heatshrink.php