Old  February 16th, 2017, 6:11am     #1
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Tablet for an 11 year old?
My son currently has a pretty old Kindle Fire. He has had it about 4 years now and he can no longer play the games that he likes to play on it because he has no storage space remaining. I have deleted everything on it but there still isn't much space because it didn't come with much to begin with and these games are large. Let me also say that I do not allow my 11 year old free access to it at all times. His activities online are monitored and I only turn the internet on when he is going to use it. I control the passwords and set the restrictions. I guess that I am strict but I have heard of too many terrible things happening to children online. My son likes to play Jurassic Park games and Minecraft and he also watches some videos on YouTube as well as makes his own videos with the camera, but that's about all it needs it to do.

He has some Christmas money from his grandparents and wants to buy a new tablet. I have an iPad and don't have any experience with other tablets, but that is much too expensive for him. I was looking at another Kindle with 32GB of storage but I'm not sure if that would be the best bet or not. I see that the new ones allow you to add an SD card for more storage to them. I also like the parental controls that are on the Kindle. This tablet is currently $119 on Amazon.

My question is does anyone have one of the newer editions of the Kindle Fire HD tablet? How do you like it? Do you find that it has adequate storage? Is there another tablet that you would recommend instead?
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 6:39am     #2
Urlik
Master Sweeper

I bought my Mom a Fire HD and she really enjoys it. I can't comment on storage issues but if he is coming from a Kindle Fire the Fire HD will be a performance upgrade and he can keep playing all the things he's been playing on the new tablet. Since he wants to record things I'd definitely spring for the 32GB over the stock 16GB memory.

My 2017 Wins
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 11:16pm     #3
jas11563
Master Sweeper

There are several tablets out there, some generic, that are very good, and very affordable.

Try asking at GameStop or a gaming site, which tablets the players there find works best for them.
  Old  February 17th, 2017, 1:14pm     #4
crmtigger
Senior Sweeper

Kid Tablet
My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy Kids Tab. It functions as a regular tablet in parent mode but then also functions only with the access and apps that you permit your child to have when in child mode. There is a password to transfer between the two modes and you can turn off wi-fi without the child having access to turn it back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiegirl123 View Post
My son currently has a pretty old Kindle Fire. He has had it about 4 years now and he can no longer play the games that he likes to play on it because he has no storage space remaining. I have deleted everything on it but there still isn't much space because it didn't come with much to begin with and these games are large. Let me also say that I do not allow my 11 year old free access to it at all times. His activities online are monitored and I only turn the internet on when he is going to use it. I control the passwords and set the restrictions. I guess that I am strict but I have heard of too many terrible things happening to children online. My son likes to play Jurassic Park games and Minecraft and he also watches some videos on YouTube as well as makes his own videos with the camera, but that's about all it needs it to do.

He has some Christmas money from his grandparents and wants to buy a new tablet. I have an iPad and don't have any experience with other tablets, but that is much too expensive for him. I was looking at another Kindle with 32GB of storage but I'm not sure if that would be the best bet or not. I see that the new ones allow you to add an SD card for more storage to them. I also like the parental controls that are on the Kindle. This tablet is currently $119 on Amazon.

My question is does anyone have one of the newer editions of the Kindle Fire HD tablet? How do you like it? Do you find that it has adequate storage? Is there another tablet that you would recommend instead?
  Old  February 17th, 2017, 1:30pm     #5
patricjames
Master Sweeper

Love my Kindle
Bought a Fire HD 8 Tablet with an 8" screen a couple of months back and love it. I opted for the 32 GB storage and added on a 128 GB SD card. I was going to go for the Fire HD 10 but changed my mind b/c of so-so reviews. Mostly b/c of the lag time and speed issues. I play games on mine and it's super fast. Here's heads up for you: The Fire HD Tablet only recognizes music and books that you purchase/download directly from the Amazon store so if you're going to transfer your own music and books to the Fire then you definitely need the SD Card. Hope this helps.

My dog's name is Mr. Hot Shot. He likes to ride in the car and loves getting his ears scratched and belly rubbed.
  Old  February 17th, 2017, 5:07pm     #6
Urlik
Master Sweeper

The SD card would also allow him to save tons of videos he makes.

My 2017 Wins
  Old  February 18th, 2017, 4:04pm     #7
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

I think that will probably be the way we go so we can add an SD card. However, he is very tight with his money (I can't imagine where he gets that) so it seems to be taking a bit to get him to make the plunge!

We saw today at at Target that they had the Fire 7 and it was $90 but I read that the reviews of it were not as good as the 8.
  Old  February 21st, 2017, 7:26am     #8
iipphotography
Junior Sweeper

The $99 Amazon Fire Kids Edition tablet comes with tons of kid-friendly content, impressive parental controls and a two-year guarantee,

CPU- 1.3-GHz quad-core CPU
RAM Included -1GB
Storage Drive Size 8GB
Display Resolution 1024x600
Card Reader Size 128GB
Warranty / Support
Size 8.6 x 5.4 x 1 inches
Weight 14.3 ounces
Company Website www.amazon.com