Old  May 12th, 2004, 8:54am     #1
gamechick66
Sweeper

Unhappy Viking Magazine
I just recently joined this site since I have alot of spare time on my hands at work in between projects. I have been reading the posts and entering as many contests as I could find that interested me.

I wanted to share an experience I had last night and see if anyone else had a similar experience or advice on what I did wrong. I entered a $50,000 sweepstakes for MC, Visa, Amex or Discover holders. I received a call last night stating that I was still in the running for the Oct. 8th drawing but that I had also won a diamond watch and magazines. Well, I didn't actually *win* it all. I was told that I had won 4 magazines (Outdoor Living, Better Homes and Garden, I love Cats and something else) and that I would have to pay for two other magazines in order to get them. I read alot so I continued to listen. The two I would have to pay for would be Business News Weekly and another one. The caller stated it would only be $3.84 a week for 5 years. Knowing the newstand prices and considering I would get the 4 other magazines it didn't seem like a bad deal and I agreed. Big mistake.

I was told that I would receive a followup call within 2-5 minutes to confirm my order. I received a call from someone named Jason who was the absolute most rudest person I think I have ever spoken to. He gave me all the details and then tells me he is going to throw in Cosmo free as well. I am thinking 7 magazines for 3.84 a week is really not a bad deal. He then tells me there are 3 options for payment. The cheapest amount being 40 a month for 36 months. I am no rocket scientist but 3.84 a week = 998.00 and the monthly amount would end up being 1440.00. I told him no way. He said you already made the deal. I said no, I agreed to 3.84 a week for 5 years.

I will leave out all the rude comments he made about my mental capacity, etc but he did end up hanging up on me after telling me that I was brain dead since I refused to budge. However, earlier in the conversation I did give him my Visa #. I have called my bank and informed them and I have not seen any charges as of yet.

Are these types of calls typical? Where did I go wrong? Advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Laura
  Old  May 12th, 2004, 9:51am     #2
salymsmommy
Master Sweeper

You should never have to pay for a win. And NEVER give your CC # out when you do order something until you know the exact amount you will be charged.

Did these people call you, or did you enter a drawing on your own? I have gotten telemarketing calls saying that as a card holder I am qualified to enter their sweepstakes, but yet I do not have a single credit card!

Other than that, I would say never agree to any kind of long term contract. It may seem like a good idea at the time, but in the end it will just cost you more.

If you want free magazines, check out "the magazine rack' thread. There are lots of places that have genuinely free subscriptions listed......

"You spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're gonna get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive." -The Doctor, The End of the World
  Old  May 12th, 2004, 10:19am     #3
gamechick66
Sweeper

I do recall entering the contest. I will also be alot more careful in the future before I agree to anything. I know I shouldn't have to pay to win anything but I did have an honest interest in the magazines so I felt it was harmless. I should have known better. Thanks for the advice on where to find magazines. I will definitely look into that.
  Old  May 12th, 2004, 10:45am     #4
jon43
Senior Sweeper

Thumbs down vikeing mag
i have had them call me and tell me the samething a few times. they are a bunch of crooks
  Old  May 12th, 2004, 11:00am     #5
SCushway
Senior Sweeper

Scam
Stay on top of your credit card to make sure no charges show up down the road. How many times do we have to say "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" and "Do NOT ever give out your credit card number"? Just say NO! It's not a win if you have to buy something or pay even a nominal amount. That should always be the first clue that you are about to be scammed when they tell you all about the wonderful prize you have won, but...all you have to do is....! That is exactly where I hang up my phone.

Also, I have been able to get almost all of my magazines totally free (with the exception of Entertainment Weekly and I never see that offered). Like the other person said, check out the magazine section, they are always coming available. You typically have to act fast because some offers don't last long (limited quantity).

Sandi (AL)

http://d.winzy.com/SCushway/basic/lg/profile.png<----- Join WINZY and win with me! http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...1_02/gator.gif
  Old  May 12th, 2004, 11:11am     #6
Ishy
Master Sweeper

k = here is my schmeal/deal
I use the name suzy as opposed to susanne on my sweep entries. Whenever I get a call and they are reading from a script saying Hello suzy, suzy today I am calling to congrats you on your ENTRY into the blah blha blah sweepstakes... and because suzy you are a special holder of visa, discover, mc, diner, american express suzy... suzy we have a special gift for you - blah blah blah -

Do one of the following:
Oh, I dont have any of those credit cards.
or
I dont want any magazines at any price You can mail me all my free gifts. Thanks.
or
just put the phone on the counter and make dinner or go brush the toilet out (cleaning crap is better then listening to it.)
or
listen and request that they take you off their call list - get names and numbers and tell them you are going to report them for harassment.
or
just be really nice, tell them they are doing a good job, but my name is really barbara.

I know its just a job on their end, but they are so rude and forceful to sell a tv guide its just so wrong.

Ishy