Old  December 30th, 2015, 1:46pm     #1
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Gardening Thread 2016 - 2017
Whether your garden is large or small, in a container or on a sill
Tell us what you're growing and if you have photos, better still.

For many, gardening is a year-round endeavor, even for those of us who live in areas with four distinct seasons, and even when there's snow on the ground.
In fact, January and February is seed starting time for some gardeners, depending on how long it takes to germinate their chosen plants.

PREVIOUS THREADS:

Gardening Thread 2015
http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1243846

Gardening Thread 2014
http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1189567

Gardening Thread 2013
http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1115849

GARDENING RESOURCES

Here are some resources so you can find your hardiness zone and determine when you should start your seeds, indoors and outdoors:

Here is a resource for gardening in containers and small spaces - great info, especially if you're new to gardening:
Here are some resources that explain how to grow espalier trees:

Last edited by Glam; January 26th, 2016 at 7:28pm.

Old  December 30th, 2015, 11:06pm     #2
pearlleemay
Senior Master Sweeper

thank you for all the resources". I cannot wait to start gardening!
  Old  December 31st, 2015, 12:30am     #3
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

http://ecowatch.com/2015/12/15/under...ed06d-85919693
  Old  December 31st, 2015, 12:41am     #4
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

this is a link to 2013 garden group,(from the OLS groups area) good reading..

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1110322
  Old  December 31st, 2015, 1:00am     #5
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlleemay View Post
thank you for all the resources". I cannot wait to start gardening!
Thank you for posting!

Will you have your plot in the community garden again this year?

Have you decided what to grow yet?

Old  January 1st, 2016, 7:34pm     #6
pearlleemay
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam View Post
Thank you for posting!

Will you have your plot in the community garden again this year?

Have you decided what to grow yet?

I am keeping the same plot. I want to grow tomatillos and kohlrabi this year. The garden is right next to our city garden and near our University. We had bugs and beetles that I had never seen before and one, a harlequin stink bug, was suppose to be rare in Colorado. I don't know if it is because of the proximity to our state university, or to our city garden, but my gosh, the bugs were numerous this past year. We also had a wetter than normal year. I captured several of the bugs and took them to the gardener inside the city gardenfor identification. Gardening is so much fun! I even enjoy learning about the different bugs.
  Old  January 7th, 2016, 3:40pm     #7
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlleemay View Post
I am keeping the same plot. I want to grow tomatillos and kohlrabi this year. The garden is right next to our city garden and near our University. We had bugs and beetles that I had never seen before and one, a harlequin stink bug, was suppose to be rare in Colorado. I don't know if it is because of the proximity to our state university, or to our city garden, but my gosh, the bugs were numerous this past year. We also had a wetter than normal year. I captured several of the bugs and took them to the gardener inside the city gardenfor identification. Gardening is so much fun! I even enjoy learning about the different bugs.
I totally get it, I'm into bugs, too.

Old  January 24th, 2016, 3:07pm     #8
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

We have 30+ inches of snow on the ground but I'm still gardening - I started the seeds for my slow-to-germinate vegetables and flowers.
I'll start another round with different plants in mid-February.

Old  January 24th, 2016, 3:32pm     #9
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

I ordered my seeds. Burpee has free shipping on any size order FSHP16 until monday night. Going back to 4th July tomatoes. They seem to produce plenty and resist disease. Using my leftover zucchini seed this year--only one hill this season. making room for some pickling cukes. After all, tomatoes with cukes is no fun. Since our raised bed garden is complete, I'll be planting peas. Still trying to find a place to purchase some fingerling potatoes. With a price of nearly $20 for 10 eyes, I can buy store potatoes!
  Old  January 24th, 2016, 6:00pm     #10
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

MINE IS small ....I have ones in the front of the house that are extremely low maintenance which is great
I've put in a ton out back last yr, honeysuckle growing up the side of the astronomy shed but I have plans on what to build this year to make them crawl better
I also bought quite a few different varieties of lilies for out back and hope that they do well

here there won't be anything coming out til maybe MAY

my wins 2014
MY 2016 wins
MY 2017 wins
you JELLY?
  Old  January 25th, 2016, 1:17pm     #11
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskwinner View Post
MINE IS small ....I have ones in the front of the house that are extremely low maintenance which is great
I've put in a ton out back last yr, honeysuckle growing up the side of the astronomy shed but I have plans on what to build this year to make them crawl better
I also bought quite a few different varieties of lilies for out back and hope that they do well

here there won't be anything coming out til maybe MAY
You have an astronomy shed! How cool!
Have you ever considered planting a moon garden to enjoy while you're stargazing?

Old  March 4th, 2016, 11:50am     #12
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

I am SO psyched. Yesterday I found out that after years on the waiting list, I finally scored a plot in a community garden.

I have a cool garden here at the house, but it's not as large as I'd like - now I'll have extra room to grow things that don't fit here. I don't know exactly what I'll grow in my new plot until I find out what the sun exposure is like and what was grown in the soil last year.

Old  March 4th, 2016, 9:40pm     #13
pearlleemay
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam View Post
I am SO psyched. Yesterday I found out that after years on the waiting list, I finally scored a plot in a community garden.

I have a cool garden here at the house, but it's not as large as I'd like - now I'll have extra room to grow things that don't fit here. I don't know exactly what I'll grow in my new plot until I find out what the sun exposure is like and what was grown in the soil last year.
I really like our community garden. We had one in a nearby town , but the land was sold. A farmer had donated the land and lived in the house next to the plots. Our newer community garden is a short distance away .next to the university and next to a city garden as well. I learn so many things about gardening from all the other gardeners. Tomorrow we have a meeting to go over the rules and regs. Last year , they banned certain plants that became a nuisance. Dill, mint, raspberries etc. It is pretty economical as well because of water costs. We live in a very dry area with about 13 inches of water a year. Tomorrow is also a seed exchange held at the library..

Today the nursery I went to, did not have seed potatoes. I need to chit them for a while before planting. Good luck on your community garden. I really like mine and my old one that I had, as well.
  Old  March 4th, 2016, 9:51pm     #14
tattwo
Master Sweeper

I enjoy reading the Gardening Threads to see what everyone grows. Since moving from the Midwest to the Arizona desert I have given up on traditional gardening. Now I am tending to my citrus trees. We have one pink grapefruit tree, a tangelo tree, a lemon tree. They were here when we bought this house. That was one of my "must haves" when home shopping. Three years ago we planted a 3 ft naval orange tree and this is the first year we had one fully ripe orange. They are all blooming now for next year's fruit and the scent is just wonderful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.9 KB, 42 views)

Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours.
-- Swedish Proverb
  Old  March 5th, 2016, 12:43pm     #15
Cajun_Mum
Master Sweeper

Probably a stupid question, but can't you just buy some fingerling potatoes, let them sprout and plant them?
We grew garlic last winter and we just used the fresh garlic from the local fruit and veggie store.
Also, we found all sorts of potatoes to plant at Home Depot.

My wins