Old  August 18th, 2013, 11:17pm     #1
Lehrer63
Junior Sweeper

Question Hearst Sweepstakes
Does Hearst still send people magazines, even though people mark that they do not want any magazines?
  Old  August 18th, 2013, 11:20pm     #2
redfantum
Senior Master Sweeper

I have only received them when I accidentally marked it improperly. Sometimes you can get ahead of yourself and click submit before the subscription opt-in disappears. They are incredibly easy to cancel, however.

"Idiocracy". It's a movie, not an instruction manual.
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 12:57am     #3
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

No, but they will if you don't click on the don't subscribe form. If you get an unwanted magazine from them, don't pay the bill, and they WILL quit sending it. But even if they don't, you owe them nothing.

I have informed them over and over again that they need to take the order form off of their sweepstakes entry forms, but they won't do that because it's too profitable for them to leave it on there, so until someone files a class action suit against them (which I'm sure will happen eventually), just keep their magazines and ignore the bills.

And if they turn you over to collections (which they probably never will, seeing that they really are bordering on fraud here), contact The Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

I accidentally order from them all the time. I get a few magazines, a few bills, and I throw them in the trash.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/SosaLover/FREEval6/bunny.gif

Squirrel Butts Do Not Glow.
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 4:57am     #4
sugarfruit
Senior Sweeper

Wink
That's funny yadgirl, when I accidently did it a couple of times, I only got the bill, never the magazine LOL.
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 9:41am     #5
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadgirl View Post
No, but they will if you don't click on the don't subscribe form. If you get an unwanted magazine from them, don't pay the bill, and they WILL quit sending it. But even if they don't, you owe them nothing.

I have informed them over and over again that they need to take the order form off of their sweepstakes entry forms, but they won't do that because it's too profitable for them to leave it on there, so until someone files a class action suit against them (which I'm sure will happen eventually), just keep their magazines and ignore the bills.

Instead of

And if they turn you over to collections (which they probably never will, seeing that they really are bordering on fraud here), contact The Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

I accidentally order from them all the time. I get a few magazines, a few bills, and I throw them in the trash.
Instead of letting them send magazines and bills, why not just go to their site and cancel the subscription right away? That's what I do when I make the mistake of not clicking the do not subscribe link (or when I have clicked it and for some reason it doesn't work).

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 10:16am     #6
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittles View Post
Instead of letting them send magazines and bills, why not just go to their site and cancel the subscription right away? That's what I do when I make the mistake of not clicking the do not subscribe link (or when I have clicked it and for some reason it doesn't work).
That's what I do too. Couldn't be easier ... except if they fixed their entry/subscribe form.

I only enter those once because I invariably will forget and subscribe.
But as I found out last week, it only takes once to win.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 12:10pm     #7
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

I did
not think that hearts magazines did People? They probably do..... I used to read that weekly but gave it up.

Visit my Tupperware Site. Messasge me if you would like to join my mailing list. Free gift!!Free shipping Thursday 27th on order of $100. Check out my ad under business classifieds.
www.mytupperware.com/aimeemcnamara516
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 12:17pm     #8
gummybear2010
Master Sweeper

I get bombarded with emails from all the magazines thank you for your subscription please pay etc online

every time I enter a sweep in the right place saying I don't want a magazine then they bill me weekly by mail

tired of it weekly my mail is full every time I enter a sweep and yes I enter the correct way I always say im not interested in subscribing I also always say I don't want there emails but get them too AND I make sure everytime I don't order anything

but they still send them too me
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 12:20pm     #9
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

I meant to add
that when I get one of their bills in the mail. I take a sharpie and write REFUSED/UNSUBSCRIBE and it has really cut out the subscription problem for me.

Visit my Tupperware Site. Messasge me if you would like to join my mailing list. Free gift!!Free shipping Thursday 27th on order of $100. Check out my ad under business classifieds.
www.mytupperware.com/aimeemcnamara516
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 2:25pm     #10
tupik3702
Grand Master Sweeper

Red face Yes, it happens
Simply send back the bill with "Didn't request" marked on the outside.
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 4:11pm     #11
LuckySkunky
Master Sweeper

I just ignore the bills , if they want to make it that easy to accidentally sign up then it's their own fault. They should have a confirm online option when you accidentally sign up entering one of their contests. I have accidentally ordered magazines like 6 times because of how many I enter. I've always ignored the bills and write it off as their own fault.
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 5:33pm     #12
trisha692
Sweeper

I missed one or two opt outs and got 4 of there mags... after the 3rd notice sent back in mail marked cancel- really only wanted sweeps entry... I had to call Hearst at 1800 223 3081 and they happily removed the mags
  Old  August 19th, 2013, 7:42pm     #13
joshm367
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadgirl View Post

I really don't know how you get fraud out of the entry process. It is easy to forgot to click "entry only" but in the end it is the fault of the person entering. I cannot imagine a dumber class action suit although I am sure some have been filed. Just don't enter those if it is that big of deal.
  Old  September 20th, 2013, 8:56pm     #14
TrustHim87
Sweeper

I'm glad I'm not the only one who accidentally gets Women's Magazines by accident. I'm a guy so.. lol. To unsubscribe (or to not subscribe, rather), they said I just have to fill out that little card that comes with my free trial issue saying I want to cancel. But those little cards never ever have a cancel option, just empty spaces for my credit card info. Hah.

It's a piece of toast.

"Stay hungry. Stay foolish." -Steve Jobs
  Old  September 20th, 2013, 9:02pm     #15
TrustHim87
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm367 View Post
I really don't know how you get fraud out of the entry process. It is easy to forgot to click "entry only" but in the end it is the fault of the person entering. I cannot imagine a dumber class action suit although I am sure some have been filed. Just don't enter those if it is that big of deal.
Well Hearst does use deceptive methods along the entire process of subscribing/unsubscribing. The subscription info on the site says we'll get one free trial issue, and inside there will be a small card thingho to fill out if we want to cancel. But after just a few days, Hearts begins to constantly constantly constantly send emails and letters saying "Balance Due! Use this form to pay $8.00," or something. But all we did was accidentally subscribe for a "Free Trial". And as others have mentioned here, sometimes we don't even get the free trial magazine, just the bills.

In addition.. From what I've seen so far, those little card inserts never ever have a cancel option, just empty spaces for my credit card info. Hah.

"Stay hungry. Stay foolish." -Steve Jobs