Closed Thread

Old  April 5th, 2013, 10:21am     #1
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

Finally
someone with some common sense: Morning-After Pill Ordered To Be Available For All Ages Over The Counter By Judge

"U.S. teens are two and a half times as likely to give birth as compared to teens in Canada, around four times as likely as teens in Germany or Norway, and almost 10 times as likely as teens in Switzerland." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22792555

Quote:
A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill, known by its brand name of Plan B, should be available without a prescription or any age or point-of-sale restrictions within 30 days. The ruling is in opposition to a previous decision by the Obama administration.

Judge Edward R. Korman of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York ruled in Tummino v. Hamburg, reversing a prior decision by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Health and Human Services (HHS).

Plan B (Levonorgestrel) is an emergency contraception to be taken within 72 hours after unprotected intercourse to prevent pregnancy.

In 2011, the administration backed an HHS decision, overruling the FDA, to not allow women under the age of 17 to obtain emergency contraceptives without a prescription.

Korman decision demands that the FDA make the drug available with no restrictions within 30 days. The judge specifically ruled out the agency using the rulemaking process to slow the ruling, saying that it had already engaged in "intolerable delays" in responding to the Citizen Petition asking for the drug to be made available over the counter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3019579.html
Last discussion on this: http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...t=plan+morning

Restiamo Umani
"Even if you're not doing anything wrong, you are being watched and recorded." Snowden
“You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.” – Abby Hoffman
  Old  April 5th, 2013, 12:11pm     #2
luckylu
Senior Master Sweeper

ITA it's about time a judge ruled in favor of common sense. I posted in this thread about it too- http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...0#post10751230

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~
UH...ha ya it's all just lucky breaks.
  Old  April 5th, 2013, 12:27pm     #3
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

Back in the 70s, I made several trips with friends to the doctor's office so they could get the morning after pill--why did it take this long???? We were all in high school, btw.

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free; We shall be free -- GARTH BROOKS
  Old  April 6th, 2013, 3:34pm     #4
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykay View Post
Back in the 70s, I made several trips with friends to the doctor's office so they could get the morning after pill--why did it take this long???? We were all in high school, btw.
The difference is with a doctor's recommendation/RX versus over-the-counter with no medical advice.

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  April 6th, 2013, 4:47pm     #5
luckylu
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascha_b View Post
The difference is with a doctor's recommendation/RX versus over-the-counter with no medical advice.
The difference is the price of a doctor's office appointment and the time it takes to get that appointment.

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~
UH...ha ya it's all just lucky breaks.
  Old  April 6th, 2013, 4:51pm     #6
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylu View Post
The difference is the price of a doctor's office appointment and the time it takes to get that appointment.
I hear you. I have no issue with the age being lower, although I don't believe 11 or 12 year old girls should be able to repeatedly buy it OTC without some medical advice/intervention. But I won't rehash that argument. That was an old thread.

I would prefer low-to-no cost walk-in doctor/clinic availability. But I don't make the rules.

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  April 6th, 2013, 6:02pm     #7
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylu View Post
and a person's willingness to even visit a doctor, all of which renders the "emergency" part of emergency birth control (Plan B) useless to many. I suspect the younger the age the less likely that person would be willing to see a doctor and will be forced to take their chances on an unwanted pregnancy (how many 13 or 14 year olds do you know anxiously anticipating their first pelvic exam), at least for the next less than 30 days after which Plan B will become available OTC (and probably not between the Bubble Gum and Batteries as Obama fears).

Chris Hayes discussion: "crazy vagina politics," http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/51447739#51447739 The New England Journal of Medicine stated after the Obama administration overrode the FDA's approval of Plan B for OTC use: " ... Any objective review makes it clear that Plan B is more dangerous to politicians than it is to adolescent girls."

Restiamo Umani
"Even if you're not doing anything wrong, you are being watched and recorded." Snowden
“You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.” – Abby Hoffman
  Old  April 7th, 2013, 1:14pm     #8
bobbydean
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I have no problem with lifting the age restrictions. It still costs about 50 dollars for the pill. I do not see alot of 12 or 13 year olds buying it.

From experience, Plan B or generic is mostly sold to the male. It is so sad when the young man doesn't or cannot afford the price. The young lady always returns with her own or her parents credit card.

I do think there should be some mandatory consultation with young women less than 15.

Bobby Dean "Every dog must have his day."
  Old  April 8th, 2013, 10:09pm     #9
Reverie
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:

—The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (The College) and the Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine (SAHM) commend today’s ruling by a U.S. District Court that directs the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to allow over-the-counter access without age restriction to the emergency contraception (EC) product Plan B One-Step. This decision reflects the overwhelming evidence that emergency contraception is safe and effective for all women of reproductive age.

“Unintended pregnancies pose a significant risk to the physical and emotional health of adolescents,” said AAP President Thomas K. McInerny, MD, FAAP. “While pediatricians recommend that teens delay sexual activity until they fully understand its consequences, we strongly encourage the use of contraception—including emergency contraception—to protect the health of our adolescent patients who are sexually active.”

“Today’s ruling acknowledges clear evidence that emergency contraception is a safe and effective method of backup birth control for all women of reproductive age,” said SAHM President Debra Katzman, MD, FSAHM. “Removing the age restriction is a positive step forward, but providers must continue efforts to educate adolescents about the proper use of emergency contraception. We must also work to ensure that emergency contraception is affordable for adolescents of limited means.”

“The College has long supported making EC available over the counter without an age restriction, so this is welcome news to us and to young women,” said James T. Breeden, MD, president of The College. “EC is a safe, effective way to help prevent unintended pregnancy after a contraceptive failure, unprotected sex, or sexual assault. We believe all EC products should be available over-the-counter.”

EC use can reduce the risk of pregnancy up to 120 hours after unprotected intercourse or contraceptive failure, and is most effective if used in the first 24 hours. Prior to the policy change required by this ruling, teens under 17 had to obtain a prescription from a healthcare provider to access all forms of EC.
http://www.acog.org/About_ACOG/News_..._Contraception
  Old  May 1st, 2013, 4:39pm     #10
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

The Obama administration just couldn't have it, could they. The party of liberal isn't really all that liberal. I certainly can't imagine how an abortion at the age of 13 or 14 is more desirable than one simple pill deemed safe for all women of child-bearing age.
Quote:
Administration Again Fails on Over-the-Counter Emergency Contraception

Today, in a proposal that can best be described as adding insult to injury, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved making emergency contraception (EC) available over-the-counter for teens and women ages 15 and up. This convoluted proposal from the Obama administration comes despite a court order in early April by U.S. District Court Judge Edward R. Korman to make EC available over-the-counter to all ages within 30 days of his decision. It comes from an administration which pledged to make science the cornerstone of public policy and instead has consistently flouted a wealth of accumulated evidence on emergency contraception. It also comes after several studies showing that current policy requiring prescriptions for some groups and not others has confused so many pharmacists that access to EC has been denied to many who were in fact legally eligible to obtain it quickly. In practice, the new policy will almost certainly perpetuate, not resolve, that confusion.

The administration’s newest plan is to make EC available over-the-counter to individuals ages 15 and up, but still require prescriptions for those under age 15. While pharmacies can stock it in the family planning section of main store shelves, people seeking to buy EC will have to show identification with a birth date to a cashier. The plan comes after approval this week by the FDA of an amended application submitted by Teva, the manufacturer of Plan B One-Step, to allow OTC sale to those ages 15 and over, after an earlier request to do so had been denied by FDA in December 2011. The amended application was in any case superceded by the scientific evidence that led the FDA to rule in 2011 on making emergency contraception available OTC to all ages, the decision that was, as noted above, subsequently overturned by Sebelius. So in using the approved Teva application as the reason for this newest decision, the FDA is essentially reversing itself and ignoring the science on which its 2011 decision was based. Confused yet? Me too. It’s a complete circus, and I have no doubt that leadership at the FDA, which tried to make evidence-based policy in 2011, came under pressure from the White House to find the “fix” it announced today.

NPR reported that “the FDA said … Plan B One-Step will be packaged with a product code that prompts the cashier to verify a customer’s age. Anyone who can’t provide such proof as a driver’s license, birth certificate or passport wouldn’t be allowed to complete the purchase. In most states, driver’s licenses, the most common form of identification, are issued at age 16.”

There are several serious problems with this approach, apart from the fact that it ignores scientific and medical findings that call unequivocally for over-the-counter access for all.

First, the policy is not in compliance with the court ruling and therefore may in fact be thrown out. The Department of Justice will have to bring it before Judge Korman for approval and potentially seek a stay of his ruling altogether, throwing EC once again back to the courts.

Second, it still requires a prescription for a subset of the population potentially in need of EC, and therefore creates a significant barrier, especially for low-income teens under 15 years of age or those without ID who “look” younger and are denied access. Emergency contraception is for emergencies.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/05/01-7

Restiamo Umani
  Old  May 1st, 2013, 8:48pm     #11
Rick
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaK View Post
The Obama administration just couldn't have it, could they. The party of liberal isn't really all that liberal. I certainly can't imagine how an abortion at the age of 13 or 14 is more desirable than one simple pill deemed safe for all women of child-bearing age.
Two things:

1) The FDA change to women 15 and older had nothing to do with the court ruling. It was due to the amended application by the makers of Plan B.
2) Plan B is not an abortion pill. Your statement implies that it is one.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
  Old  May 1st, 2013, 9:44pm     #12
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

First and foremost: Steubenville Rape Case. Might I remind you the young girl in an alcohol induced stupor hauled from party to party being sexually assaulted by teenaged boys was only 16 herself. Too young to buy Plan B as far as the Obama administration is concerned. Some of these girls never tell anyone. She was forced to after her girlfriends showed her the pictures being circulated of her naked and passed out on the floor among other party-goers feet and became frightened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Two things:
1) The FDA change to women 15 and older had nothing to do with the court ruling. It was due to the amended application by the makers of Plan B.
Rick, Rick, Rick, it's what Sebelius is now using to justify this administration's new position after the court ruling and Plan B was to become available by now with no restrictions. Of course you do remember what Obama said defending his administration's decision to restrict access to those 17 or older, regarding Plan B on pharmacy shelves:
Quote:
”alongside bubble gum or batteries" because it could have an adverse effect if not used properly. He said "most parents" probably feel the same way.
How can you misuse one pill? Does he think they're going to stick it up their nose?

Half the pregnancies every year in this country are unintended. Plan B is one pill, a dose of progesterone--it keeps a woman from ovulating. If she's already pregnant-then it's too late so the longer she has to wait to take the pill the chances of her becoming pregnant increase.
Quote:
U.S. District Judge Edward Korman of New York blasted the Obama administration for imposing the age-17 limit, saying it had let election-year politics trump science and was making it hard for women of any age to obtain the emergency contraception in time. He ordered an end to all age restrictions by Monday, for Plan B and its generic versions.

The FDA had been poised to lift all age limits and let Plan B sell over-the-counter in late 2011, when Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, in an unprecedented move, overruled her own scientists. Sebelius said some girls as young as 11 are physically capable of bearing children but shouldn’t be able to buy the pregnancy-preventing pill on their own. ...

Absent a stay, “we will want to go back to court as quickly as possible and ask the judge to hold them in contempt,” said Janet Crepps, a senior counsel for the Center for Reproductive Rights.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ter-90797.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Two things:

2) Plan B is not an abortion pill. Your statement implies that it is one.
Never said Plan B was. Without Plan B some of those that will not be able to purchase it will become pregnant, Plan B solves the matter of needing an abortion if a pregnancy were to occur. All this is is moralizing, pure and simple.

Last edited by LindaK; May 2nd, 2013 at 3:32am.

Restiamo Umani
  Old  May 8th, 2013, 11:47am     #13
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Wow. This Irin Carmen report of the Plan B hearing today is amazing. The judge did not mince words:
Quote:
“It turns out that the same policies that President Bush followed were followed by President Obama,” said District Court Judge Edward Korman on Tuesday morning, in a charged and dramatic two-hour hearing in which the Obama administration defended its arbitrary policy to limit contraceptive access.
Uh huh.
Quote:
Korman was explaining why, when previously ruling on access to Plan B emergency contraception, he had initially waited for the administration to act on its own and make the drug widely available based on scientific evidence, rather than on politics. “The process had been corrupted by political influence. I remanded because I thought with a new president” things would be different, Korman said. But in 2011, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius overruled, with the president’s explicit blessing, the FDA’s recommendation to lift all age restrictions, which Korman ruled in March was a decision made in “bad faith” because of the politics around sex and contraception. He ordered the administration to lift all restrictions. Instead, it accepted a manufacturer’s petition to make Plan B available over the counter only with photo ID showing the purchaser was at least 15, and the Department of Justice is appealing.

This morning, Korman repeatedly slammed his hand down on the table for emphasis, interrupting the government counsel’s every other sentence with assertions like, “You’re just playing games here,” “You’re making an intellectually dishonest argument,” “You’re basically lying,” “This whole thing is a charade,” “I’m entitled to say this is a lot of nonsense, am I not?” and “Contrary to the baloney you were giving me …” He also accused the administration of hypocrisy for opposing voter ID laws but being engaged in the “suppression of the rights of women” with the ID requirement for the drug.

Frank Amanat, arguing on behalf of the administration, said that the court had overreached by ordering a particular policy rather than remanding to the agency for further review. But he could not say, in response to repeated demands from Korman, that the result would be any different if it were returned to the agency. Nor did he specify any harm that would come from making the drug more available.

The irony is that I would be allowing what the FDA wanted. This has got to be one of the most unusual administrative law cases I have ever seen,” Korman said, adding, “I would have thought that on the day I handed down my decision, they would be drinking champagne at the FDA.”

Korman said the administration had engaged in a “choreography”: “First the president makes a speech to Planned Parenthood and throws them a kiss. The next day you grant an application from 2012″ to make it available with ID for 15 and up, in an attempt to “sugarcoat” the appeal of Korman’s order to lift all restrictions. (The decision was actually announced a couple of days after the Planned Parenthood speech.)

The government didn’t argue the merits of requiring a photo ID or that the drug only be sold in locations with an on-site pharmacy, but Korman made clear why he found that to be an inadequate compromise: “You’re using these 11- and 12-year-olds to place an undue burden on women’s ability to access emergency contraception. If it’s an impediment to voting, it’s an impediment to get the drug.”

He cited Brennan Center statistics — which he said Eric Holder had also cited in a speech before the NAACP — showing that 25 percent of African-Americans of voting age don’t have a photo ID, and also dismissed the government’s suggestion that 15-year-olds, who usually aren’t eligible for a driver’s license, could use a birth certificate, since that’s not a photo ID. ”You’re disadvantaging young people, African-Americans, the poor — that’s the policy of the Obama administration?” read on ...
Yeah. But who cares about them?

I have to say I'm enjoying seeing all these people speak truth to power today. Maybe it's something in the air ...

Seriously, this regulation is just silly. If you believe in science, you believe in science. And the science says that this is safe, effective and appropriate for all females of child bearing years. It's ridiculous. This judge certainly thinks so.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013/...ike-it-is.html
Judge rips Obama’s right-wing Plan B stance
"You're disadvantaging young people, African-Americans, the poor... that's the policy of the Obama administration?"
quoted above at http://www.salon.com/2013/05/07/judg...an_b_decision/ The good judge just so happens to be a Reagan appointee, so where's that put the O administration: to the right of Reagan.

Restiamo Umani
  Old  May 8th, 2013, 11:58am     #14
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

REPEAT: "U.S. teens are two and a half times as likely to give birth as compared to teens in Canada, around four times as likely as teens in Germany or Norway, and almost 10 times as likely as teens in Switzerland." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22792555

Plan B available OTC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergen...ity_by_country

Austria
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia

France In December 2000, public and parochial high school nurses were authorized to dispense emergency contraception.
Greece
Ireland From 15 February 2011, the NorLevo morning after pill became available from all pharmacies over-the-counter without prescription. It is available without consultation and there is no age restriction.
Lithuania
Netherlands Since January 2005, levonorgestrel-only emergency contraceptive (NorLevo 1.5 mg) has been available over-the-counter without a prescription in pharmacies and drug stores.
Norway
Romania
Russia
Slovakia

Spain In Spain it is available without restriction, and is available over-the counter with no visit to a doctor. The Spanish Government approved the measure to make the pill available OTC in pharmacies without prescription and with no age restrictions in August 2009.
Sweden
Turkey
NorLevo is available over-the-counter in practically all Turkish pharmacies.

Canada Plan B is available over-the-counter in most Canadian provinces and territories. Plan B is kept behind the counter in Saskatchewan, and is available under prescription by a pharmacist in Quebec.

Bolivia Emkit DS (Levnorgesterel Emergency Contraceptives) are freely available at Bolivia.
Brazil Progestin-only emergency contraceptive pills are available for free at most public hospitals.
Argentina Progestin-only emergency contraceptive pills are available for free at all public hospitals in Buenos Aires.
Peru Emkit and Emkit DS, Manufactured by ZAFA Pharmaceutical is the number 1 Emergency Oral Contraceptive at Peru and is freely available all over the country.
Ecuador On May 23, 2005, and after a couple of years available in the market, the Constitutional Court of Ecuador suspended the inscription and the sanitary permission of Postinor-2 that led it to be provided in drug stores and hospitals.

Egypt Levonorgestrel-only emergency contraceptive is available over-the counter.
Madagascar Levonorgestrel-only emergency contraceptive is available over-the counter.
India
On August 31, 2005, nonprescription, over-the-counter access to levonorgestrel-only emergency contraception was approved.
Israel
Postinor-2 and Postinor New are available over-the-counter in Israel.
Sri Lanka Postinor is readily available over-the-counter in pharmacies.

Thailand Postinor is readily available over-the-counter in pharmacies such as Boots.
Australia Postinor-2 and Levonelle-2 became available in 2002. In 2004, Postinor-2 became available without prescription.
New Zealand Levonelle and Postinor-2 are available from pharmacies without prescription.

Restiamo Umani
  Old  May 8th, 2013, 12:30pm     #15
Rick
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I hate to state the obvious here, but if the above quotes are true and in context, the judge's impartiality is in question.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr
Closed Thread