Old  November 14th, 2012, 6:23pm     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

USPS messing me up!
UGH! I mailed 2 packages from ebay sales last week. Both had expected delivery dates of Nov.13th. Neither one has been delivered yet! One went to TX and one went to OH. Don't ask me why both would take the same amount of time to deliver, but that's another issue I have.

The tracking only showed the fact I brought it to the post office.. until today the TX one made it to the sort facility. OH is still not updated with where it is!

I wish we had a UPS drop off place around here. I'd definitely be using it instead!

Hoping I don't get a bad feedback because of something I had no control over. I shipped the day after I received payment.

Time to win, win, win!!
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 6:38pm     #2
talin710
Master Sweeper

Like you said, it's out of your control. Does your listing say "Will ship within three business days" or something like that? If it does, you more than fulfilled your end. I've never ever gotten negative feedback based on the post office, even when it's slower during the holiday season.

The buyer can see the post-marked date, and I guess that you sent them the conf number? So you're golden. You did the absolute best that you could do.

Most people don't even ship within one day, so job well done! Just follow up, and relax. You're ok.
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 6:40pm     #3
talin710
Master Sweeper

I forgot to add, USPS tracking is utterly ridiculous! The packages could very well be there, and you'll receive feedback before USPS ever updates.
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 6:54pm     #4
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanks.. Yes, it was listed will ship within 2 days... and I try to do that. My last package (which by the way caught up to the other one in TX but was shipped 3 days later) I rushed out to the mailbox as soon as I saw payment was received because it was Saturday and I didn't want to wait until Tuesday to ship (due to Veteran's Day).

I talked to our postmaster when I had to stop in for something and asked her about the fact that you don't see anything "tracked" on delivery confirmation. She said she heard they are looking into a better scanning system so it works more like UPS. I guess lots of people complain and tell them they'll go UPS because of that extra.

Time to win, win, win!!
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 7:07pm     #5
JeffTheGreat
Master Sweeper

I have shipped over 400 packages over the last two years by USPS.
Though some have taken a day or two longer than expected, all arrive safely.

Old  November 14th, 2012, 7:09pm     #6
talin710
Master Sweeper

I really hope that your postmaster is right, and please let us know what happens.
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 7:13pm     #7
talin710
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheGreat View Post
I have shipped over 400 packages over the last two years by USPS.
Though some have taken a day or two longer than expected, all arrive safely.
Wow! That averages 1.825 packages PER DAY! You must have an amazing eye for resale, and an excellent source for packing peanuts and bubble wrap! Awesome Jeff!
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 8:14pm     #8
birdpix
Senior Master Sweeper

I'll take USPS over UPS any day personally, based on my experiences in biz and as an ebay seller who saw too darn many packages get destroyed in transit w/UPS.

There has just been a postal holiday which can slow delivery times.

USPS messes up once in a while, but usually stuff makes it there safely and intact. I use Priority Mail with the free Delivery Confirmation you get from printing labels @ usps.com. The one thing I started doing when we were mailing a minivan full! of Priority Mail packages during our busy season was to use the "add to scan form" option that gives one sheet with a bar code the PO scans when you drop off packages that covers up to 20 packages per form.

Eric in Florida
"Believe It & It WILL Come True" - Jimmy Buffett
  Old  November 14th, 2012, 8:59pm     #9
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I had to ship these parcel since priority on these would have been nearly as much as the item cost!

I did think of the holiday.. but also of the hurricane area but hoped everything was routed around problems by the time I shipped.

The packages I send out next week will be going priority.. just not sure if I want the flat rate box since they just fit.. or put them in a little larger box with more cushioning. All depends on if I can get the bubble wrap around the sides ..

Am running out of bubble wrap, though.. have to see if any neighbors have some to spare!

Time to win, win, win!!
  Old  November 15th, 2012, 5:54am     #10
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Maybe it has something to do with Sandy? I know I lost my debit card and ordered a new one Fedex, they told me "could be delayed" because of the hurricane. Just a thought.
  Old  November 15th, 2012, 6:56pm     #11
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Yes, probably Sandy.. but the one in TX has been sitting in the sort facility since yesterday morning!

Time to win, win, win!!
  Old  November 15th, 2012, 9:49pm     #12
birdpix
Senior Master Sweeper

if you use online postage to print and pay for your labels and sell a lot of items that ship to your own or nearby states, check out "REGIONAL RATE" Boxes - they are a version of priority mail flat rate for up to like 20 pounds and are cheaper than regular flat rate boxes when not shipping far. You can order boxes from USPS.com under priority mail shipping supplies.

If you're looking for free Bubble wrap, check local health food/vitamin stores. They get lots of glass pill bottles wrapped in bubble wrap every week and usually have to dispose of it. If you're looking for buying new, esupplystore on ebay has good prices/quality.

Eric in Florida
"Believe It & It WILL Come True" - Jimmy Buffett
  Old  November 15th, 2012, 10:04pm     #13
foolofatook
Master Sweeper

Happens to me sometimes though I notice when packages are insured the tracking info is MUCH more accurate.
  Old  November 15th, 2012, 10:12pm     #14
bigjay00
Senior Sweeper

I have 100% positive feedback, no problems. Got 4 messages within 2 weeks asking where their product is.

ridiculous!
  Old  November 15th, 2012, 11:54pm     #15
Johnny
Master Sweeper

the parcel facility near Newark NJ was knocked out by Sandy for over a week, and that bottlenecked a lot of the Northeast's parcels. I believe they worked through the Veterans Day holiday weekend to get caught up, so hopefully your package will be there shortly.
As for the tracking on parcels, it IS hit or miss and in-transit scanning needs improvement, but there should be a delivery confirmation scan that gets updated when the carrier gets back to the office.