Old  October 23rd, 2012, 11:48am     #1
kokopelly
Senior Sweeper

Question Publishers Clearing House?
My Mom recently got into trying to win from PCH, She loves to sweep, and she loves it here at OLS. But I personally think PCH is a scam! I told her this, she has never bought into the buying the magazines and things, I told her a long time ago not to. And I remember a few years ago seeing something on dateline about them preying on the elderly, by making them think if they buy products from them they will win money.
I told her I would not waste my time with them and that I would stick with the legitimate sweeps, like the ones we have here. I just hate to see her waste her time. My question is, am I wrong? Has anyone here ever won from them or know anyone who has? I would love to know. Thanks and I hope you are all doing well! kokopelly
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 12:29pm     #2
baroness-1
Master Sweeper

someone I worked with back in 2008 won a really cheap laptop from PCH several years ago.
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 12:34pm     #3
ele
Senior Sweeper

Thumbs down I don't enter PCH
I don't enter PCH - too much hassle and I think they're scammy too. I've heard just too many stories about elderly people spending thousands of dollars thinking that they will have a better chance of winning.
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 12:42pm     #4
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Did hear of someone winning from them... something like $10,000 ..

All you can do is make sure they know you don't have to buy anything!! I think chances are a long shot since so many do enter.

Time to win, win, win!!
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 12:45pm     #5
ContestScott33
Master Sweeper

Millions and Millions enter - People win - just the odds are near lottery level...

They do spam a lot - But my Mom won $25 or something around that value a few years back..

MY WINS!!! last win (3/4/2014)

My Blog - Deals, Coupons, Contests and more geared toward Guys! - Updated!
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 12:50pm     #6
Blackberry
Grand Master Sweeper

A good friend of mine won $25,000 a couple of years ago from PCH. They came to her house with balloons, flowers and the huge check & everything. She was then in the running to win a prize in the millions (can't remember exactly how much) but she didn't win that one. Only the $25,000. Still....!

Personally, as much as I want to win, I don't like all the junk email from them.

Never Do Anything You Wouldn't Want To Explain To The Paramedics.
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 1:02pm     #7
Iknownothing
Senior Sweeper

Over many years, my mom has won small amounts from them three times - less than $200 each time. I know someone who won a new boat and trailer. After all the scrutiny and lawsuits against them, they do give away what they say they will.

I'm sure the odds aren't that much worse than the 25 million + who enter the Dream Home Sweeps and certainly no worse than the lottery which millions of people invest several bucks a week in. My Mom still likes to enter this sweep even though it is a hassle and she never orders anything. Biggest problem besides the odds and the hoops they make you jump through is that unlike the lottery or Dream Home Sweeps, their various sweeps can go on for more than 2 years!

As long as she isn't ordering anything, if Mom gets pleasure out of dreaming of this big win and wants to put in the effort it takes, then I'm okay with it. For many of us sweepers it's the anticipation of a win that keeps us going anyway as wins don't come often. I don't know that I would want to jump through their hoops but then again, I don't buy lottery tickets either and my Mom loves her occasional scratch off.

Imagine if they all learned not that everyone has to be friends but that they could not be friends, with compassion and decency. - Meredith Melnick
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 1:13pm     #8
jdhj2
Master Sweeper

Won a wristwatch from PCH.

Jesse
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 1:45pm     #9
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

won $5 dollars from them about 30 years ago

Someone the next town over won either a million or (s)s I happened to be going past the flower shop that day and noticed something going on.
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 1:48pm     #10
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Tell you mom to not waste her time ...
because I may already be a winner!

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 2:29pm     #11
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Ed McMahon wants to meet me???? I should leave my Burt Reynolds theater tickets on the night stand??
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 2:39pm     #12
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

A gal I worked with in western Washington won a smaller prize about 8 years ago. The prize patrol came to the hospital with the balloons and stuff. The folks there that day got $100 and were in the commercials for a while after that.

My mother's neighbors won $5000 from Reader's about 35 years ago - when that was a whole lot of money.

Old  October 23rd, 2012, 2:48pm     #13
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

They are not a scam. I don't enter online, but I do through the mail, if it catches my fancy. I do order a product once in awhile, and sometimes they have great deals on magazines.

Yes, most important is that you don't have to buy to win.

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free; We shall be free -- GARTH BROOKS
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 3:52pm     #14
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykay View Post
They are not a scam. I don't enter online, but I do through the mail, if it catches my fancy. I do order a product once in awhile, and sometimes they have great deals on magazines.

Yes, most important is that you don't have to buy to win.
Years ago, I ordered all the time from them - not magazines, but weird household things, music, etc. I loved buying that stuff.
  Old  October 23rd, 2012, 3:57pm     #15
bjdotson
Grand Master Sweeper

First of all, the preying on the elderly was american family whose spokesman was Ed McMahon. He was never the spokesman for Publishers Clearinghouse.

Second, They were really good about cancelling orders if you didn't like the magazine; matter of fact if you wanted to cancel a magazine that they didn't even carry, you could just call their 800 number and they would take care of it for you. Great customer service (I don't know if they still to this)

Third, you can enter at their site. Also, your first search every day at search.pch.com will give you a free entry at their contests. They bought out blingo and they give prizes for searching.

I don't think that they are scammy, they just run a lot of sweepstakes and have millions and millions of entries.