Old  October 20th, 2012, 1:38pm     #1
mmzcash
Junior Sweeper

Nest thermostat giveaway
I had posed a giveaway for a Nest thermostat about 20 days ago. There has only been 9 people sign up for this giveaway. Can anyone tell me why there have been so few sign up? Not sure if a link can be posted here to the giveaway but it was listed here on online-sweepstakes.com
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 2:07pm     #2
tattwo
Master Sweeper

I see the giveaway is posted on OLS.

The entry requirement is to provide very specific information about your existing thermostat and heating & A/C system, also include a photo of the thermostat wiring connections, and comment about 2 things you like and 2 things you dislike about your current thermostat.

There is no picture, description or ARV of the prize.

Just my personal opinion . . . the average lay person may not be able to provide all the specific information requested.

Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours.
-- Swedish Proverb
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 2:21pm     #3
mesquemai
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzcash View Post
Can anyone tell me why there have been so few sign up?
JMHO the site looks sketchy.

Who are you/who or what is this site?

It looks like one of those sites trying to get your info and trying to get you to click on links so that the owner can get paid for clicks on links. We've seen that before.
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 3:31pm     #4
swstargal1
Master Sweeper

oh no
Im always wary of people that have one post and have only just joined. It seems like spam to me...

Margaret
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 3:38pm     #5
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

Existing thermostat manufactures name and model number - who knows

The type of HVAC system that you have (Heat pump, Split A/C with gas, Split A/C with electric heat, Package unit) who knows

Manufactures name and model number of your HVAC system. If your system is a split system provide name and model number for the indoor and outdoor units. who knows

At least 2 comments about things you like (pros) about your existing thermostat it works go on and off at the right time

At least 2 comments about things you do not like (cons) about your existing thermostat it doesn't cut may utility bill in 1/2 a
another stupid question about a termostat. A therostat is something that works in the background of a home and is rarely thought about

Provide a picture of your thermostat wiring terminal connections. Ya right I will take apart a mechanism that work fine to get you a picture. Not gonna happen
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 4:49pm     #6
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

I can't believe 9 people actually entered this.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 4:51pm     #7
cpnqn
Grand Master Sweeper

our city area gave them away free to everyone here...
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 5:13pm     #8
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
I can't believe 9 people actually entered this.
lol.

Not to be rude, it's very nice of you to have a giveaway, assuming that you aren't a spammer or harvesting personal info. But people that enter sweeps, also have jobs, families, personal lives etc. So whenever we enter a sweep, at least for regular, long time sweepers, you always have to do a cost/benefit analysis in your head before entering.

In this case, way too many questions, that I would have to spend too much time looking up to be worth all of my time, for a thermostat, that I don't even really think I need. And all of this was said with the best intentions, assuming that you really are someone who wants to understand how to throw a sweep or a contest that will attract a lot of people to your site, in which case you are asking the right people.

Good luck, I hope you get a lot more site hits on your sweep!
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 5:32pm     #9
AsTheNight
Senior Master Sweeper

Here's why I haven't entered:

1. You don't provide specifics about the prize. Now, it's not that I don't already know the specifics of a Nest thermostat, but if you're legit, you're more likely able to provide details about the prize, including the ARV.

2. No ending date. I understand you want 250 entries before you award the prize, but sweepstakes law requires an ending date. If you're legit, you'll follow the law.

3. I am not an engineer, nor am I especially handy, so given 1 and 2 above, I am unwilling to ask Rod to open up our thermostat and photograph it. I understand that the Nest thermostat requires certain wiring capabilities to work, so I understand why you ask for the photo, but again, given 1 and 2, it's not happening.

Here's my idea: choose an end date for your giveaway; ie: ends when there are 250 entries, or on Month XX, 20XX, whichever comes first. Be specific about the prize; ie: Prize: Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577 (ARV: $249.99).

You may get more entries just from doing those things; I know I'd consider it. Best of luck to you with your forum.
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 5:47pm     #10
ked
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Editor/Moderator

No dates or privacy policy. Sweep deleted.
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 6:20pm     #11
tattwo
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ked View Post
No dates or privacy policy. Sweep deleted.

Sounds like "game over."

Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate less, love more; and all good things are yours.
-- Swedish Proverb
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 10:14pm     #12
mmzcash
Junior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsTheNight View Post
Here's why I haven't entered:

1. You don't provide specifics about the prize. Now, it's not that I don't already know the specifics of a Nest thermostat, but if you're legit, you're more likely able to provide details about the prize, including the ARV.

2. No ending date. I understand you want 250 entries before you award the prize, but sweepstakes law requires an ending date. If you're legit, you'll follow the law.

3. I am not an engineer, nor am I especially handy, so given 1 and 2 above, I am unwilling to ask Rod to open up our thermostat and photograph it. I understand that the Nest thermostat requires certain wiring capabilities to work, so I understand why you ask for the photo, but again, given 1 and 2, it's not happening.

Here's my idea: choose an end date for your giveaway; ie: ends when there are 250 entries, or on Month XX, 20XX, whichever comes first. Be specific about the prize; ie: Prize: Nest Learning Thermostat - 2nd Generation T200577 (ARV: $249.99).

You may get more entries just from doing those things; I know I'd consider it. Best of luck to you with your forum.

AsTheNight thanks for the feedback. This is the sites first giveaway so we appreciate the information that you provided. The provided information has been added to the page.
  Old  October 20th, 2012, 11:46pm     #13
WeenyMomma
Master Sweeper

No kidding, I laughed when I saw this thread because I broke our thermostat about about an hour ago. I'll take it!

Please like my photo to help me win a complete bathroom makeover! http://sdqk.me/xyDh7NFI/Ba2XyX1B
  Old  October 21st, 2012, 12:52am     #14
flared0ne
Grand Master Sweeper

The biggest warning flag here is that the NEST thermostat doesn't NEED all that information about "what kind of heating/cooling system do you have" -- they make a big deal about how their mounting procedure walks you through using industry standard color-coded wires (and a trial-and-error process to make sure you got things terminated correctly). So you wanting to collect that info seems a bit "sketchy"... And asking for manufacturer's names and model numbers -- that's like asking people to give information off the receipt they got from the people who INSTALLED the system(s) -- unlikely to HAVE it and unlikely to GIVE it.

I agree completely that MOST people here are NOT going to be interested in "taking a picture of the existing wiring" (as in a) unnecessary (see above) and b) what somebody mentioned about "riiiight, I'm going to take a 'working just fine, wired the way it is' thing apart so you can see the wires"). Having to "now, put it back together" seems like just asking for problems.

That said, sure, I'll take a look at the CURRENT incarnation of your posted sweep (assuming it's still here THIS time around). They ARE a particularly cool device (and the skeptical side of me STILL says "yeah -- good bait")... (sigh)

By the way -- what can you tell me about how the NEST handles having multiple HVAC systems, one at each end of the house, with TWO different zones and individual thermostats?

"iSleepy" -- there's a nap for that.
  Old  October 21st, 2012, 1:00am     #15
flared0ne
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzcash View Post
AsTheNight thanks for the feedback. This is the sites first giveaway so we appreciate the information that you provided. The provided information has been added to the page.
Added to WHAT page? KED deleted your page about four and a half hours before you posted that comment.

***Edited to add: Ahh, I see -- you're talking about having added information to the sponsor's page that the contest information is posted on.

There's still no result HERE when I search for "thermostat", and three meaningless results when I search for "Nest".

I hate getting that error message saying "Credibility glitch. Please try again later."

***Edited to add: On the other hand, I LIKE when I "try again later" and the credibility has improved.

Last edited by flared0ne; October 21st, 2012 at 2:03am. Reason: found more information, updating in the interest of fair play etc

"iSleepy" -- there's a nap for that.