Old  October 8th, 2012, 5:18pm     #1
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

Sweepers not welcome! WTF?
PDXLAN

Attention fans:

About the winner of our sweepstakes: While we really appreciate your feedback, we have picked randomly - to disqualify a person based solely because their hobby is "sweeping" seems unjust and would lack moral integrity on our part. If you'll notice, we already posted an alternate with our announcement. We've already picked a person to replace if we find this person at all cheated.

That said, we are investigating this person, and are considering amending the rules to disqualify FB profile pages that are not "personal" or "nothing but sweeps".

We at PDXLAN are looking for fans and Hardware enthusiasts - not contest junkies.

Please stand by for another announcement in 2 hours.

Old  October 8th, 2012, 5:20pm     #2
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

update
Attention Fans:

Today we drew our winner for the awesome gaming computer, Jenny Ham. We would like to congratulate her on the legitimate win.

We'd like to take a moment to tell you what went into our decision.
1.) We will not change the rules on the contest after the contest ends. To do so would be a severe lack of integrity on our part.
2.) The winner actually offered to concede the prize.
3.) We cross-checked her referrals and found real FB users.
4.) For future contests we will look at changing rules, but to do so after the fact, would be wrong.

Please join us in congratulating the winner. It's time to put this behind us, learn from it, and work towards a solution moving forward.

Old  October 8th, 2012, 5:25pm     #3
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Well some people do just enter certain things because they enter for anything and everything. I've seen it. So they do have a point. Now an honest to goodness enthusiast or whatever I guess feels slighted because the person is not really a fan. But I do see both sides. I guess it all depends on the website.
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 5:34pm     #4
LadyCat
Grand Master Sweeper

now i understand those fb posts thanks was confused -just the note the winner is an avid sweeper and vote sweep enterer

Every entry is a potential Winner -
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 5:38pm     #5
LUCKYLADY43
Senior Master Sweeper

Talking
Well I guess we can unfriend them and not visit or share their site then huh.
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 5:49pm     #6
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper

and now FB should "move forward" and ban companies that only post winners on their page which is strickly against FB rules

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:00pm     #7
bamiamtou
Senior Sweeper

Well I for one would have entered for my son... not for myself, as for my FB I only use it for sweeping.... I could care less what my friends are doing and would rather not let them know every move I make so I do not use it for socializing... I think they are wrong in what they said, and if I had entered and won and they implied anything about cheating or JUST BEING A SWEEPER I would have told them to shove it

Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:19pm     #8
floomper
Master Sweeper

Any company that acts like aholes about who enters their sweepstakes, like this one, should realize that many new/potential customers come directly from those who enter sweepstakes. It creates TRAFFIC to their website.

Sure, there are those who enter for everything and anything, but a lot of us out here are entering for things we really want and have a use for.

They are cutting off their nose................

I just saved a passcard that says, "DON'T ENTER ANY SWEEPS FROM PDXLAN - THEY ARE ASSHOLES.
I just want that to pop up in case I click on a sweepstakes from them that I am thinking about entering.

I'm surprised there isn't a PDXLAN rep on here as a member, just to see if there is any chatter............maybe just a matter of time.

Dorks.
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:22pm     #9
flared0ne
Grand Master Sweeper

Considering it IS "their football"... IF they state up front that they want entries from people with some minimum amount of "socializing" and/or social commentary and "likes" for "real people interests" -- like, umm, groupies for their hardware and stuff they sell and vendors they interact with, well, that's their prerogative.

Hopefully they'll put up a few recycled-boxes-on-sticks outside their cave with "No SWEEPERZ" marked in true biodegradeables, so there's no doubt -- complicates the moderators' lives having to CHECK for this stuff (if the OP doesn't), but hey, that's what moderators're there for (or so I've been assured; I wouldn't know, not being a TRUE "groupie")...

In the meantime, you may want to post a few political links on your Facebook page, just to prove that you're a REAL socially-responsible franchise-exercising American... And engage in a bit of idle chitchat to prove that you aren't JUST obsessed with taking stuff away from "TrueBelieversIn That TotallyAwesomeProduct they're giving away"

It will be curious how many of their "regular Regulars" will feel virtuous about "driving off the barbarians" and be done with it, versus how many will only grudgingly cancel their orders for tar and feathers, and still contribute funds for the laborious "Rerite the Roolz" effort...

"iSleepy" -- there's a nap for that.
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:24pm     #10
TheSunshyn
Senior Sweeper

I'm concerned about this and maybe other companies changing their rules so posted the below to their page.

"Congratulations to Jenny!
I can't be a hardware enthusiast AND have a sweeping hobby? I'm a gamer who no longer has a PC capable of gaming because my business pulls in half what it used to before the economy took a nose-dive. I'm also disabled and spend all my time stuck in front of my computer so spending some of that time sweeping for things I really want but can't afford seems quite a reasonable hobby. Don't I deserve at least the same chance that anyone else gets?
Will you bar me from entering with your new rules?"

-Sunshyn
Artist and owner of www.chainmailandmore.com
Pinterest overview of my creations

Join me on Swagbucks. I earn all my extra spending money from them.
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:33pm     #11
le_monet
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshyn View Post
I'm concerned about this and maybe other companies changing their rules so posted the below to their page.

"Congratulations to Jenny!
I can't be a hardware enthusiast AND have a sweeping hobby? I'm a gamer who no longer has a PC capable of gaming because my business pulls in half what it used to before the economy took a nose-dive. I'm also disabled and spend all my time stuck in front of my computer so spending some of that time sweeping for things I really want but can't afford seems quite a reasonable hobby. Don't I deserve at least the same chance that anyone else gets?
Will you bar me from entering with your new rules?"
would love to hear their response to that. i think its absolutely ridiculous for them to think just because a person sweeps as a hobby they cant also need the things they r entering for. why do they think we r entering?

i know some people enter just to win and could care less what the prize is but i don't think thats the majority. most don't want to use their time to enter for a bunch of things that will likely sit around their house and get no use (at least i don't).
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:37pm     #12
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

I really believe that they were in over their heads. I followed and posted on both messages. They used Woobox sweeps for their contest and Woobox actively solicits "extra" entries by referral on FB and Twitter.
There are two OLS sites on FB that are vote soliciting go tos IMO.

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...8&postcount=33

My Wins
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 6:43pm     #13
Ashook
Master Sweeper

..if they are going to be snooty than F' 'em-sweepers are consumers as well..

lets see how long it takes them to remove my comment from their wall..

"...glad to see a sweeper in disguise won after all!! Congrats! As a reminder to sponsors, sweepers ARE consumers as well..."

MY WINS Could you spare some box tops?
FSOT
http://frvetere.blogspot.com/
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 7:18pm     #14
vikki13
Master Sweeper

This is really sad to hear. I love sweeping and have not done it in a long time. The main reason I got back into sweeping was to provide Christmas for my grandkids and nieces. I lost my job in November of 2010 and now have some health issues that is keeping me from finding a job right now.

We are consumers too, just because I win a sweepstake doesn't mean that I will never read a blog again or visit that companies website to buy something in the future. For people to say that because we are sweepers they think that we cheated is ridiculous, I read every blog that I follow, all the email and all the tweets.

I hope that no one changes their rules to exclude us, it seems to me a little bit like discrimination. Just my 2 cents!
  Old  October 8th, 2012, 7:46pm     #15
LUCKYLADY43
Senior Master Sweeper

Talking
I left them a comment on their FB page saying us sweepers hated them too and they removed it , not surprising.