Old  September 11th, 2012, 6:16pm     #1
imaclutz89
Master Sweeper

When is it OK to announce a win?
I tried searching it in the OLS Forum, but search isn't working right now for some reason.

I returned the affy back and verified it was received and my name is announced on the website, but was also on the site before I returned the affy.
  Old  September 11th, 2012, 6:25pm     #2
salemnana
Master Sweeper

Congratulations
If the sponsor has announced your name, you shouldn't have any problems making it public now. Congratulations on your win.

'Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.'
  Old  September 11th, 2012, 6:30pm     #3
webgirl256
Senior Master Sweeper

Once all the paperwork is sent in and your announced the winner by the sponsor go for it..congrats!
  Old  September 11th, 2012, 7:53pm     #4
imaclutz89
Master Sweeper

Thanks everyone! Time to go announce it on my other thread!
  Old  September 11th, 2012, 8:35pm     #5
Jdevall
Master Sweeper

i wait til the sponsor tells me i can...

Jeff (Packer & AZ Wildcat fan)
  Old  September 11th, 2012, 11:56pm     #6
LuckySkunky
Gone Camping

Not really understanding this thread. You get a winning phone call, instant win screen or email. Who cares if you have to wait for an affy IMHO we already one the prize. I tell people right away and if it's big enough I probably would announce it online as soon as I got one of the above methods of notifications. What ? Is the Coke police going to break down the door? Uhhh excuse me we have not verified your affy yet!

Wait till the sponsor tells me I can? What are they your mother? Ok now we know you got something from us that you won a car but shhhhh don't tell anyone until we say so. Uhhh yea right I would tell everyone.
  Old  September 12th, 2012, 12:05am     #7
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySkunky View Post
Not really understanding this thread. You get a winning phone call, instant win screen or email. Who cares if you have to wait for an affy IMHO we already one the prize. I tell people right away and if it's big enough I probably would announce it online as soon as I got one of the above methods of notifications. What ? Is the Coke police going to break down the door? Uhhh excuse me we have not verified your affy yet!

Wait till the sponsor tells me I can? What are they your mother? Ok now we know you got something from us that you won a car but shhhhh don't tell anyone until we say so. Uhhh yea right I would tell everyone.
Usually, the affy states "potential" winner and until the affy is approved/verified on the ja/sponsor's end, the person holding the affy is just a "potential" winner. There are a number of things that could come up during the verification process to disqualify the person holding the affy.

And yes, sometimes sponsors do request that the announcement be kept a secret until the sponsor is ready to disclose. My trip win last December from Hilton Garden Inn was handled that way. They wanted all affies (10 winners) returned and verified and then they wanted to formally make the announcement of the 10 winners on their facebook page.
If such a request is made of you by a sponsor, I would hope that you would honor such a request.

To the OP...Congrats! and have fun!

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  September 12th, 2012, 12:08am     #8
jas11563
Master Sweeper

I believe people are hesitant to announce wins until they are confirmed as some of us have lost wins or there has been an error with the promotion company, as was the case with me.
There was also a member that went thru a great deal of angst as someone tried to have her DQd from her win.

No need for the Coke police to knock down your door, when you don't have the prize. They do and they just don't send it. You aren't the official winner until it is announced and verified.
  Old  September 12th, 2012, 12:08am     #9
webgirl256
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita_mama View Post
Usually, the affy states "potential" winner and until the affy is approved/verified on the ja/sponsor's end, the person holding the affy is just a "potential" winner. There are a number of things that could come up during the verification process to disqualify the person holding the affy.

And yes, sometimes sponsors do request that the announcement be kept a secret until the sponsor is ready to disclose. My trip win last December from Hilton Garden Inn was handled that way. They wanted all affies (10 winners) returned and verified and then they wanted to formally make the announcement of the 10 winners on their facebook page.
If such a request is made of you by a sponsor, I would hope that you would honor such a request.
yes.. The fact is many sponsors get upset if you report a win before you have officially been announced the winner they may even take it away from you... I have seen people say that the sponsors got mad and took it away! People also get jealous and try to get them into trouble before getting their wins.
  Old  September 12th, 2012, 12:44am     #10
implode
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaclutz89 View Post
I tried searching it in the OLS Forum, but search isn't working right now for some reason.

I returned the affy back and verified it was received and my name is announced on the website, but was also on the site before I returned the affy.
Wait until the prize is in hand, or until you have returned from a trip win. Even if a win is confirmed, they can still cancel it at any time. All it takes it for some hateful a-hole to accuse you of cheating. They can lie and make up stuff, and really it is VERY hard to defend yourself.

I missed out on a trip (worth $4,000) and a 1:10 shot at a car (worth $30,000)...so I'm still pretty bitter about that. NEVER EVER spill the beans on anything early unless you are ok with risking losing it. Lot of really nasty petty people out their,.

Hall of Fame Winner of a trip to NZ!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of $10,000!!!
Hall of Fame winner of Super Bowl Trip!!!
  Old  September 12th, 2012, 1:10am     #11
bamiamtou
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by implode View Post
Wait until the prize is in hand, or until you have returned from a trip win. Even if a win is confirmed, they can still cancel it at any time. All it takes it for some hateful a-hole to accuse you of cheating. They can lie and make up stuff, and really it is VERY hard to defend yourself.

I missed out on a trip (worth $4,000) and a 1:10 shot at a car (worth $30,000)...so I'm still pretty bitter about that. NEVER EVER spill the beans on anything early unless you are ok with risking losing it. Lot of really nasty petty people out their,.
Wow I did not know things like that happen..... how can you cheat??? Pretty sad really if people have to spread rumors because they are bitter about not winning.

Old  September 12th, 2012, 11:17am     #12
implode
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamiamtou View Post
Wow I did not know things like that happen..... how can you cheat??? Pretty sad really if people have to spread rumors because they are bitter about not winning.
Lots of ways of cheating...you could NOT be right age....they could say someone else entered for you....they could say you broke the entry limit, and entered for family members...the could say a bot was entering for you automatically.

In my case it was something different. One of the requirements for entry was being enrolled in college. The contest ran for a total of 8 months. I won early on in the contest, and graduated college that year. So I submit all my stuff--affy, copy of my license, copy of my student ID, and travel companion waiver.

This is my first big win, I had never won anything before. I brag on the forums, how awesome it is to have won a trip to a movie premier. I'm bursting at the seems with joy. 3 months pass and I get a call. Hey, we have received some complaints regarding your eligibility...we were wondering if you could send us a copy of your transcript to prove you are enrolled currently? I reply, actually I graduated--I was enrolled at the time I submitted my entries. No I won't send a copy of my transcript, thats personal. How do you feel about a copy of my bill instead? So they go back to legal, and ask them. Return phone calls me back and tell me I'm DQed. I beg and plead for an explanation but they won't give me one. I ask if we can work something out to prove things--a call from a proffesor/advisor??? NOPE.

Thats how I lost out on a car...or the chance at one anyway,

Old  September 12th, 2012, 4:55pm     #13
Kashinka
Master Sweeper

Quote:
I reply, actually I graduated--I was enrolled at the time I submitted my entries. No I won't send a copy of my transcript, thats personal. How do you feel about a copy of my bill instead? So they go back to legal, and ask them. Return phone calls me back and tell me I'm DQed. I beg and plead for an explanation but they won't give me one. I ask if we can work something out to prove things--a call from a proffesor/advisor??? NOPE.

Thats how I lost out on a car...or the chance at one anyway,
Wow, that is so unfair! Who was the sponsor?
  Old  September 12th, 2012, 5:33pm     #14
TheMarciFactor
Sweeper

Quote:

I agree. I'm having problems with that right now because of someone that cheated in a blog contest. This person is emailing all sponsors of contests I'm in, and getting me disqualified because of cheating accusations, even though I'm not even in the top 10 and have had less than 50 votes in some of them!! Don't announce a prize until you get it!!! That's my advice!

I'm always willing to help, please send me your vote request if I missed you. Also, remember...I make fantastic jewelry www.marcimallow.com

Marci
  Old  September 13th, 2012, 12:32pm     #15
implode
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashinka View Post
Wow, that is so unfair! Who was the sponsor?
Ford sponsored the contest, and Judging Agency was Marketing Associates....both are equally to blame in this matter.