Old  June 22nd, 2012, 3:55pm     #1
Blackberry
Grand Master Sweeper

How to Get ID for Someone with no proof of identity
I'm wondering how a 19 year old person can re-establish his identity without any proof of who he is?

My son has had stolen (seperately) his birth certificate, expired state ID card, his Social Security card and bank card. Basically he now has no proof of who he is.

Does anyone know how he can re-establish these items? I'm thinking that if he wants a new birth certificate then he will have to show ID. If he wants a new ID then he will have to show some other form of identity. Seems like he is stuck in a catch-22!

Any idea's????

Please????

TIA!!

Never Do Anything You Wouldn't Want To Explain To The Paramedics.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 3:57pm     #2
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

I would say to go to the local Social Security Office they would probably be able to answer all your questions and by answering some questions you should be able to get a copy of it. Also, have you reported those items as stolen? If not, then you need to.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:09pm     #3
dogbuddy57
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I've heard that the best thing to do is Start with the Birth records from the state, but have never had to do so myself. GL!
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:29pm     #4
guruwan2b
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't think you have to have ID to get the birth record. You do have to know the hospital, date, parents names, and maybe the doctor. In OK and TX you can even request them online.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:33pm     #5
MrsM
Gone Camping

Are you saying he got stolen what you sent to your brother???????????
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:44pm     #6
kdkdkd
Senior Master Sweeper

The birth certificate is not hard to get, you or he can order an official copy from any state, just need the particular information that is on it (name, parent names, location, etc...) I ordered through vitalchek, but paid a premium to have it expedited. I believe you can order the birth certificate for him since you are also on the document.
this is the info on where to write for vital records for each state.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm
this is the vitalchek site if you need it fast
http://www.vitalchek.com/

Once he has an official certified birth certificate the rest should be easier although not sure about the social security card. REALLY hope he has reported this to the police and the credit reporting agencies, his credit can be ruined for years if someone has moved quickly with his info.

Earn Amazon codes with irazoo http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?RefBy=kdkdkd
PLEASE be my swagbucks friend http://swagbucks.com/refer/kdkdkd
Superpoints is back! https://www.superpoints.com/join/7bH...aMkeaFOpNPhq9k
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer.-- Albert Camus
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:50pm     #7
pandka
Grand Master Sweeper

My daughter's birth certificate and Social Security card were both ruined in a move. It wasn't difficult to get a certified copy of her birth certificate. I think I had to give my SS#. We already knew her SS# and we were able to get another copy of her card. Once she had those she was able to get her permit with no trouble.

Get the birth certificate replaced first. You go through the state were the person was born.

Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:57pm     #8
Lawrence86
Senior Master Sweeper

i dont know about your state but my daughter lost her bith cert and i was able to get it as the parent and she was over 18.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 4:58pm     #9
LadyT
Master Sweeper
Founding Member

My daughter got her purse stolen last year with her birth certificate, drivers license, and social security card in it. She had a job interview that day and then went out afterward, Instead if putting her purse in the trunk she left it in the back seat and someone smashed a window and stole it. Live and learn!

What a nightmare getting 2 of the documents back. She went to dmv to get her license. Oh you need picture ID to get it. I don't have picture ID. Well, then you need social security card or birth certificate. I don't have those either. Oh well, then we can't help you.

She then went to social security. We need a valid ID and birth certificate. I don't have those they were stolen also. Oh well, then we can't help you.

We went online and were able to get her birth certificate expedited just by knowing all the information that is on the birth certificate and paying extra money.

Once she got that, she went to DMV and got her license then was able to go get her social security card. Well she got a paper saying that she has one and is able to work in the United States because the actual card takes about 2 weeks to receive in the mail. She needed that paper so she could accept a job offer.

It takes awhile but it can be done. Good luck to your son!

My family's motto~ One for all and all for one. Alexandre Dumas

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind, or forgotten." Lilo & Stitch
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 5:20pm     #10
MrsM
Gone Camping

Applying for ID cards with no identification

August 23, 2010|By Ask a Lawyer

Q: My future daughter-in-law is estranged from her very controlling father. He never allowed her to get a driver's license she is 18 and he keeps her birth certificate, passport and Social Security card, refusing to give them to her.

She was born in California, making it tough to get her birth certificate, especially since she has no other official identification. What legal action can she take to rectify this difficult situation?

A: She should start by visiting California's public health website, cdph.ca.gov, for a birth certificate application. She can submit the application by mail, including proof of identification with a sworn and notarized statement.

Since the passport is legally hers and her father won't release it, she can contact the U.S. Department of State for a Form DS-64, allowing her to report her passport stolen and apply for a replacement. She can establish her identity by using a provision that allows the use of an affidavit of an identifying witness.

Finally, she will need to visit Social Security's website, ssa.gov, to download a form SS-5. In this process, she can use her newly acquired passport to identify herself, although even without it she may be able to use other forms of ID such as an employee, school or health insurance card.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 5:22pm     #11
MrsM
Gone Camping

I only posted that to give you some information. I will keep researching.

Do you have anything else at home with his name or address on it? A school report card, ANYTHING?
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 6:00pm     #12
Blackberry
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
Are you saying he got stolen what you sent to your brother???????????
No, I have not sent anything to my brother. My son got these things stolen from him. They hid their extra belongings behind some bushes and someone found and stole them. My son's birth certificate was in his pack that got taken. Then later his wallet and cell phone were stolen from him as he slept in the park. That had his bank card (with $1.62 in his account) and social security card and (expired) drivers permit in it. Since we were still jointly on his back account we cancelled the card. But I wasn't sure what to do about the other things.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think we will start with his birth certificate (that sounds like it will be easiest to get) and go from there.

Old  June 22nd, 2012, 6:03pm     #13
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandka View Post
My daughter's birth certificate and Social Security card were both ruined in a move. It wasn't difficult to get a certified copy of her birth certificate. I think I had to give my SS#. We already knew her SS# and we were able to get another copy of her card. Once she had those she was able to get her permit with no trouble.

Get the birth certificate replaced first. You go through the state were the person was born.
Yep. Birth certificate replaced first. Everything else will require it, most likely.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 6:04pm     #14
gercker5
Senior Sweeper

You should be able to order his birth certificate for him as his mother. Just inquire at the county offices where he was born. It will probably run around $10 to get one sent to you from them.

Old  June 22nd, 2012, 6:21pm     #15
Blackberry
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
I only posted that to give you some information. I will keep researching.

Do you have anything else at home with his name or address on it? A school report card, ANYTHING?
I do have things at home with his name and address (our address) on it such as bank statements.