Old  June 22nd, 2012, 10:27am     #1
ninasmom
Master Sweeper

bp 160 over 90!
ugh
I was at CVS to pick up pills for anxiety attacks and was having one ( i get them when I have to drive on the highway } I sat down cause I was lightheaded next to one of those BP machines and so I stuck my arm in- 160 over 91 with a pulse of 110. no wonder I feel like I am going to faint when I have one- needless to say DH is going to drive us today and I already have a appt. with my dr.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 10:52am     #2
sketcher
Master Sweeper

I had high blood pressure that high and was on metropolol to stabalize it. Then I lost 23 lbs and my blood pressure is normal. I also switched to healthier eating and less chemicals in and on my body and that also made a big difference.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 11:19am     #3
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

Try not to freak out as that is not your resting blood pressure, your BP will of course go up in the midst of an anxiety attack Def mention to the doctor though.

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 11:25am     #4
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

I have just the opposite problem, my BP is low. I've never tested it in an anxiety attack situation, but........ just take your pill and I"m sure you'll be okay. I wouldn't think it was anything other than a normal occurence during a panic attack.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 1:05pm     #5
bumqueesha
Senior Sweeper

i feel your pain, i was unable to drive for years, not just on highways. it started out with a fear of big roads with a lot of traffic and then trickled down to the point that i would have a panic attack if i even saw my car keys! just know that there is hope; after getting on the right medication (thank god for lexapro) and talking to a counselor, i am SO much better. i can now drive wherever i want, except long trips that take me far out of my comfort zone still make me pretty anxious. here's my unsolicited advice. i'm good at that.

don't let your panic and fear get the best of you and don't let it define you. you are having a hard time now, but if you work at it, you will improve.

it's damn near impossible to remember during a panic attack that it is only a temporary state. if you can, try to think yourself into a panic attack while you're in a safe place and time your symptoms. you will probably find that while it feels like FOREVER, panic attacks usually last less than 5 minutes. your body isn't equipped to maintain the fight or flight status for a long time without some sort of relief.

practice relaxation techniques while you're already calm. it sounds silly, but being able to focus on your breathing, muscles and heart rate while you're relaxed will give you a sense of what to shoot for when you're in the midst of freaking out. the more aware you are of your body, the more likely you will be able to regain control.

talk to whoever you feel comfortable talking to about what's going on. you would be shocked (at least i was) when you find out just how many people there are who are in very similar situations, or who have been in the past. just seeing someone who has kind of made their way to a better place can give you hope when you're at a low point. also, everyone has different tips and ideas. obviously, everything that works for one person won't work for everyone, but i've never been one to turn down well meant advice.

try talking to a counselor. some people need guidance to work through whatever situation they're in, while some people need medication. either way, the goal is to feel better. neither way is the "easy" way out and you should be proud of any decision you make to better yourself.

remove unsupportive people from your life. being able to assert control over your own happiness is HUGE!

i could go on forever, but i won't. feel free to pm me anytime if you want someone to talk to who has been there, done that. i need to do something with my psychology degree anyway.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 1:11pm     #6
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Be careful with those machines, I had my GP tell me that most of them weren't accurate.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 1:19pm     #7
Embee
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
Be careful with those machines, I had my GP tell me that most of them weren't accurate.
Yup, just saw some news story. (think it was on my local news) about how all of them vary in accuracy, and really only get calibrated once a year or serviced only when they break.

They said if you need to monitor, to buy one for home use.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Embee/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 1:20pm     #8
bbking
Master Sweeper

Yes, do be careful of those machines at the pharmacy etc. My Dr. told me to use it only as a baseline if I have to. If they aren't serviced daily (and they arent) they can be off sometimes a lot. (Kids play with them, etc.) But yes, your BP does go up during a panic attack. I have high anxiety that will go into a full blown panic attack if I dont find a place to practice my relaxation etc. I cant take any meds for it except xanax and I do not like taking them due to their being so habit forming. So....some days life is just one big struggle for me. Mention it to your Dr as soon as you see him or her.

Old  June 22nd, 2012, 3:09pm     #9
ninasmom
Master Sweeper

thanks everyone!
I am going to talk to my dr. about meds- and I am looking into meditation. I haven't really done anything other than take a small dose of lorazapan- but now it's obviously getting worse!
  Old  June 22nd, 2012, 3:35pm     #10
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasmom View Post
I am going to talk to my dr. about meds- and I am looking into meditation. I haven't really done anything other than take a small dose of lorazapan- but now it's obviously getting worse!
You can always take more (Ativan). If you're taking .5, take .1. That's what I would do. That means take two pills instead of one.

I'm not a doctor and not condoning you doing it without one, but in a BAD situation, I see nothing wrong with it.

I took the same medication.