Old  June 7th, 2012, 7:40pm     #1
its_inevitable
Master Sweeper

Bhg
If enough of us send it maybe they will finally fix it.

To: support@bhg.com

RE: PROBLEMS with bhg.com contests

To whom it may concern:

I enter many of the contests and sweepstakes sponsored by the Meredith Corporation via its many websites. However, one site has been a continuous problem, and that is the bhg.com. Everyday when I try to submit the entry for a contest or sweepstakes, I am greeted with the following message:

"An error occurred while processing your entry. Please try to submit your entry again. If you receive this error multiple times, you may need to clear your cookies."

I encounter this error message a few times before the sweepstakes finally submits. This can be very aggravating as well as time consuming due to having to re-enter an often illegible captcha code prior to hitting the submit button. This problem has been occurring for well over a year. At one point this problem was widespread through all the various Meredith sweepstakes (Ladies Home Journal, More, Parents, etc), but the issue has been resolved on those websites, but it persists on bhg.com. I mainly use Firefox Browser, but this problem occurs when I use other browsers as well.

I am very grateful that Meredith chooses to sponsor many wonderful sweepstakes, but I hope that this issue with the bhg.com website can be resolved.

Thanks,

Me
  Old  June 7th, 2012, 7:43pm     #2
its_inevitable
Master Sweeper

It really has been going on for over 1 year.

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...d.php?t=995160
  Old  June 7th, 2012, 8:21pm     #3
dmkratt
Senior Sweeper

Happens continuously. Sometimes I can go back and refresh the entry page, enter again, and it will go through.
  Old  June 7th, 2012, 9:30pm     #4
margarita_mama
Grand Master Sweeper

yep, its been an ongoing issue for quite some time.
I have found that the only time I have a problem is when the captcha is one that starts with a video. If it is one that it tells me to hit "play", but there is no video (it just jumps to "words"), then it goes right through.
Also, I notice that logging in and entering all of their sweeps that I am interested in from their sweepstakes page sems to make them submit at a better ratio, as well.

My Motherload of Wins
  Old  June 7th, 2012, 10:49pm     #5
Schoenbaum
Senior Sweeper

If you notice it only happens with BHG.com and not other associated sites like Parents.com or Recipes.com. Before they started using this generic error message the ASP error that was being displayed and it was clearly a problem with their web farm configuration. (Web farms allow multiple servers to service web requests). The problem is that the entry form is being served up from one server but the reply is sometimes going to a different server and that the second server can not resolve your session id. I emailed them about this when it first started happening and the only result I can see is that they turned off ASP errors and substituted the generic 'clear your cookies' message.

It only appears to occur during high traffic times (like at 6am PST or 9am PST when people are getting to work <g>) and is not as prevalent at other times. So it appears to only be happening when the servers workload is high.

I don't know exactly why it does not affect the other servers (parents, recipes), either they have less traffic or they are configured correctly, but Merideth does not seem to be very interested in correcting the problem now that their work around is to tell you to blow away all of your cookies.

I now just keep retrying until it goes through (2 or 3 times) since it does not look like it is going to be fixed anytime soon.

Old  June 8th, 2012, 1:50am     #6
cigi
Master Sweeper

Not true Schoenbaum... It doesn't matter what time of day it is, several of the BHG sweeps will give an error message anyhow. I'ts ONLY the BHG sweeps that do this, Other Meredith sites submit just fine. There have been times when I have to click the back arrow, re-enter the code and submit up to 8 times before it will go through. PITA...very time consuming. Some of their other sites USED to have that problem, but were fixed in a timely manner. You'd think that they could have worked the bugs out of this one too by now.
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 7:54am     #7
TesaTss
Sweeper

Its gotten to the point where I clear my cookies for BHG before entering. I'm on mozilla and its just a few clicks. Seems faster than reloading and resubmitting
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 8:48am     #8
anjasmom
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita_mama View Post
yep, its been an ongoing issue for quite some time.
I have found that the only time I have a problem is when the captcha is one that starts with a video. If it is one that it tells me to hit "play", but there is no video (it just jumps to "words"), then it goes right through.
Also, I notice that logging in and entering all of their sweeps that I am interested in from their sweepstakes page sems to make them submit at a better ratio, as well.
Those are good tips. Thanks!
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 9:49am     #9
ChosenOfHim
Master Sweeper

It's only a problem for me if I'm using Shazam. If I go through the homepage it goes right through. It is only BHG.com.

Grace & Peace

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is our problem." - Ronald Reagan
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 10:32am     #10
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

I don't use Shazam and I have the problem
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 11:13am     #11
kingmiller
Senior Master Sweeper

I've found that sometimes I can avoid getting that message by keeping the cursor on the submit button. Most of the time the entry question will pop up and I can get my entry to submit from there without getting the error message. Even so, at times I just skip over these sweeps to avoid the effort of taking the time to baby it through.

So Many Books; So Little Time!
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 11:30am     #12
ItsJustBrig
Sweeper

I've found that hitting the back button, then doing a hard refresh (hold down the CTRL + F5 key at the same time) will usually do the trick and allow me to submit after entering the captcha again
  Old  June 8th, 2012, 8:40pm     #13
Kashinka
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustBrig View Post
I've found that hitting the back button, then doing a hard refresh (hold down the CTRL + F5 key at the same time) will usually do the trick and allow me to submit after entering the captcha again
Same here. At times I have to refresh 3 or 4 times, but usually it works after 1 or 2 refreshes.
  Old  June 14th, 2012, 8:06pm     #14
newz77
Master Sweeper

It is interesting to see the way people interpret the cause of the error. I always thought it was because they started restricting the timing of your submision to stop robots. Not too fast, and not a long delay either. Who knows.

But it is my impression they know about it and are doing it intentionally for some unknown reason. Expecially since it only is a problem for BHG sweeps and not the other related sites.
  Old  June 14th, 2012, 11:52pm     #15
implode
Master Sweeper

I use robo, and frequently have issues with BHG contests...it occurs directly at captcha code stage. Asks me for captcha, it fails, so reload the page and get a url with 'DARG' in it and entry unable to go through. Page never reloads properly after captcha.

Hall of Fame Winner of a trip to NZ!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of $10,000!!!
Hall of Fame winner of Super Bowl Trip!!!